Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Nürburgring Just Banned Lap Records

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default The Nürburgring Just Banned Lap Records

Not sure if this is true, but interesting article

http://www.apex-the-movie.com/blog/2...ed-lap-records

The Nürburgring Just Banned Lap Records

This week, the management group overseeing Germany’s Nürburgring Nordschleife moved to ban manufacturers from attempting and publishing timed laps on the famed, 13-mile course. For car enthusiasts who judge modern sports cars by how quickly they can round the circuit, it’s an unthinkable, if not wholly unexpected, turn of events.

For Christian Von Koenigsegg, it’s even more disappointing; the news comes just days before he was to spend a week at the circuit with the new Koenigsegg One:1 hypercar in hopes of setting a lap record. It’s part of Koenigsegg’s three-year plan to establish the One:1 as the fastest production car in the world.

It was early Tuesday morning when I received an urgent phone call from Christian. In two days, I was to jump on a plane with my team to capture the Koenigsegg lap-time effort for our upcoming 4K documentary, APEX, which we’re producing in conjunction with Sony. This is the final chapter in a storyline that follows the past three years of auto manufacturers battling it out for technological dominance in producing halo cars for the next decade, cars including the Porsche 918, McLaren P1, and Ferrari LaFerrari. All have shown what they’re worth on the track, but the Koenigsegg One:1 has yet to do so.

Now we have a new story to tell: The Nürburgring benchmark of sports-car superiority has come to a screeching halt, and the Koenigsegg One:1’s place on the leaderboard is in jeopardy. We’d been on stand-by to fly across the Atlantic (on moments’ notice) to capture Koenigsegg’s attempt. This time, helicopter crews were ready to go, logistics were sorted, and travel was booked. The sudden notification from Nürburgring management couldn’t have come at a more inopportune moment for everyone.

The decision to ban timed laps stems from an accident earlier this year at a VLN race, involving driver Jann Mardenborough, in which a spectator was killed. Track management reacted by imposing a speed limit at Flugplatz, where the crash occurred. Since then, management has imposed further restrictions in other high-speed sectors. This is a particularly disappointing development for Koenigsegg, since the One:1’s flat-out speed in those sectors would likely have given it a lap-time advantage. In Tiergarten, for instance, a long, fast section where Christian estimates the One:1 could easily hit 300 kph, speed is now restricted to just 200 kph.

Official word from Nurburgring management is that these restrictions will be reviewed at the end of the year, but for the time being, manufacturers like Koenigsegg are banned from attempting lap-time runs — even if they’ve rented out the entire track for themselves. The Koenigsegg team and the One:1 are now stuck in a holding pattern. They have a car that’s ready to attack the northern loop. Their simulations and data suggest they’ve got a good chance to best their competitors. Even Koenigsegg’s past track data suggests their best segment times, when stitched together, would undercut the Porsche 918’s official 6:57 time by double-digit seconds.

But there’s a twist to the story. After the initial restrictions were in place, Lamborghini ran its new Aventador SV and published a sub-seven-minute lap time. Nürburgring management claims Lamborghini’s attempt happened one day before they issued the latest round of restrictions. Yet at the same time, WTCC laps have been allowed to ignore all speed limits all together? What’s the deal? We’re investigating.

So what’s next for Koenigsegg and our film, APEX? The helicopter crews are ready, the One:1 is ready, but we don’t have anywhere to run the car.

Is there a new benchmark to be set? Should nearby Spa Francorchamps, another long, high-speed track with motorsports provenance, become the new venue for lap time tests? Maybe a stateside circuit like the four-mile West Grand course at VIR would fit the bill? What about setting an endurance record? Let the Reddit car forums march with their keyboards and pitchforks.

Author: J.F. Musial

www.apex-the-movie.com

Special Thanks to Robb Holland and Mike Spinelli for details and help writing this article.

Old 06-19-15, 09:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

There were never any "official" Nurburgring records anyway since there are no rules regulating exactly how the times were achieved, no ? .....
Old 06-19-15, 09:53 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How will this be enforced?
Old 06-19-15, 10:49 AM
MelF1fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I wanted to see the Koenigsegg One do it's thing
Old 06-19-15, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
They're probably not going to release that information. If they did, it would encourage some drivers or companies to find a way around it.
Old 06-19-15, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
There were never any "official" Nurburgring records anyway since there are no rules regulating exactly how the times were achieved, no ? .....
Originally Posted by doge
that's what i thought too, nothing official.

but then it's also not hard for them to avoid companies from posting time or risk ability to use the track every again
Old 06-19-15, 12:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Management of the Nürburgring should take advantage of it's famous status for bench-marking performance and not shy away. Perhaps have specific days dedicated to manufacturers for the purpose of official lap times. Heck, establish their own official Nordschleife track times and charge! Manufacturers will pay for such honors!
Old 06-19-15, 01:36 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Nürburgring is always struggling to maintain profitability, this ruling will not help.

I smell publicity stunt.
Old 06-19-15, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Nürburgring is always struggling to maintain profitability, this ruling will not help.

I smell publicity stunt.
Not necessarily. Some managers may think more than just about the bottom line and/or what brings quick profits.
Old 06-19-15, 02:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Management of the Nürburgring should take advantage of it's famous status for bench-marking performance and not shy away. Perhaps have specific days dedicated to manufacturers for the purpose of official lap times. Heck, establish their own official Nordschleife track times and charge! Manufacturers will pay for such honors!
the problem is public spectators. i think it's too hard for them to control where spectators are, and with cars going faster and faster, a lot of those spots are not safe anymore (and probably not cheap to upkeep those safety boundaries
Old 06-19-15, 03:38 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you die watching a race right by the track, it's your fault. Make the spectators sign a release stating that it's their fault if they die. That would be like rally racing putting restrictions in place because a car crashed and a spectator was killed because he was standing on the track.
Old 06-19-15, 06:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I just saw this on Facebook. I am really really surprised. All of those companies spent so much money and time setting up facilities near the track. It was the international measuring stick. I am blown away
Old 06-19-15, 06:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My question is, what is the difference between getting hit by a car going 200km and a car going 300km, is there a better chance of surviving if hit by a car going 200km/hr?
Old 06-19-15, 09:30 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
My question is, what is the difference between getting hit by a car going 200km and a car going 300km, is there a better chance of surviving if hit by a car going 200km/hr?
They might have judged that going 200kmh isn't fast enough to clear the barrier or destroy them. Who knows.