Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Craziest track day corvette driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 03:36 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Craziest track day corvette driver

My friend directed me to this and I can't even...it's like watching something out of a video game. What is his instructor doing? Jedi hand signals? I can't even...I went from horrified shock to laughing and back to horrified shock. The Youtube comments are gold.

Old 06-18-15, 03:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

What'd he drop at 3:07 his phone?
Old 06-18-15, 07:36 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The instructor is trying to tell him when to hold the line, when to go to the outside more, and when to turn in. And the driver seems to be doing whatever he wants. Mainly being terrible at driving. Crossing arms and one hand ftw. I also like where he went full throttle in corners

Last edited by NickTee; 06-18-15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-18-15, 07:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

this sounds terrifying to even be on the same track as this guy. WTF wasnt he black flagged

John Hughan 1 day ago (edited)
Speaking as an HPDE instructor, that was absolutely terrifying to watch. It's not entirely your fault because your instructor did nothing but point you along a line (and inexcusably didn't have a communicator), but you need to dial it way back before you hurt yourself or others. Just a few of many, many red flags on your driving:

@5:35 you went full throttle in a 650hp car with the wheel turned 100 degrees and another car less than a quarter car length directly in front of you. If you hadn't had the nannies on, you would have at best spun several times and at worst taken the GT3 in front of you out along the way.

@5:55 to 6:20 you got so preoccupied with passing the GT3 that you did the same thing of going full throttle mid-corner multiple times (once directly behind the GT3), which once again would have spun you out and likely taken cars nearby with you if you'd really been the one driving there rather than the computer -- not to mention the fact that your obsession with passing caused you to take a line that destroyed all of your momentum and even made you hit a cone! And after all that, you went on an absurd -- and completely unearned -- "victory rant" on the front straight, which in combination with your terrible driving would have had me telling you that your track time was over.

@6:44 you took your hand off the wheel while doing 120 MPH...to honk your horn!!

@13:20 to 13:25 when your car understeered, you just cranked the wheel harder hoping that somehow physics would stop applying to you, then cranked hard the other direction right away, and THEN buried the throttle while you were still making huge steering corrections on corner exit. Once again, that would've been multiple occasions for spectacular spins with the nannies off. Fortunately for you, the car refused to give you any power until you were pointed mostly straight.

@14:57 you went full throttle with the wheel turned more than 180 degrees!!

To sum up, your throttle work is erratic (full when it shouldn't be, lifting off completely at times that would have spun your car without the nannies, wild and abrupt throttle position transitions throughout), your steering inputs aren't smooth, and you never once drove even a consistent line, never mind a proper one. You need a lot of work before you advance beyond novice. Your car saved you multiple times from very nasty insurance claims.

As for dumping on the GT3, first off, he's definitely not a pro judging by his line, but even so, notice how often he passed you on the banked straight, where your car's horsepower and torque advantage should have given you the lead? That's because he knows how to drive (at least relative to you) and carry speed through that segment, whereas you're *****footing through there -- which you should be for now judging by the rest of your driving technique.

Bottom line: Dial down the red mist and try to learn something, ideally from an instructor who does more than just point at the line.
Old 06-18-15, 08:48 PM
ES300SD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My friend directed me to this and I can't even...it's like watching something out of a video game."

Gran Turismo anyone?? I have played this track many times in GT so it is pretty fun to see the real deal. Made me want to break out GT2 that was fun.
Old 06-19-15, 06:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

That was very cool to watch. I dig the Z06, but that GT3 to stay ahead and accelerate evenly as the Z06 with all that extra power and torque is amazing. Just shows the GT3 always punches above its weight class
Old 06-19-15, 09:32 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool to watch a horrendous driver? If the C7Z didn't have all the stability control nannies, he would have been in a wall or crashing into another car multiple times.
Old 06-20-15, 04:19 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That's gotta to be a spoof. Me and some of my fellow racers and track buddies over on Rennlist pretty much came to the conclusion it had to be a spoof. I instructed at Skippy LS, for Porsche DE at Barber, PBOC racing, nationally certified for PCNA, BMW CCA, Audi, Chin and etc. I have checked off many instructors over the years.

Everything from the ski helmets down to the hand signals and lines suggest total spoof. No instructor, especially at Fontana after my dear, dear friend Ben Keaton lost his life there, like that would be checked off and given students.

Last edited by DougHII; 06-20-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-20-15, 05:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^This.
It is all fun at the end of the day. Nobody is seriously trying to be the next Jeff Gordon or Schumacher here. People are way too obsessed with details where it does not matter.
Old 06-22-15, 05:07 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I was wrong about this being a parody. Dang scary then. WTH is event organizer letting a guy like this on track without an instructor (pointing dude is not an instructor) and in ski helmets.

This is from someone else that was at the event:

"The GT3 in this video is not me, but I know the driver. He's not a pro driver, as claimed by the moron who posted the video. The GT3 driver is a pretty good driver, although new rear engine cars. The idiot in the Z 06 spun out in front of me going into the playground in an earlier session. He was sent home by Aaron of Speed Ventures after the session on the video. Not sure why he wasn't black flagged during it thou, he was an absolute tool. He would come by the garage after the session and brag how he only had two previous days at the track. He seemed to have serious psychiatric issues. This is the first time I have experienced someone like this at a Speed Ventures event.
The whole video is comical if it was not so dangerous. I slowed and pulled to the side every time he approached, something my friend regretted not doing.

The Z06 with the nannies on is a pretty spectacular car, it saved this guys life at least 10 times. The only problem: over heating. The temps were in the low 90s and the Z 06 did not like it. The car went into limp mode after a few laps. I ran in two run groups, driving a total of 76 laps (2.7 miles) so over 200 miles and my GT3 did not flinch. Freaking bullet proof."

Last edited by DougHII; 06-22-15 at 05:20 AM.