Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple carplay vs Android auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 02:25 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Apple carplay vs Android auto

An interesting comparison between the 2.

http://www.cnet.com/news/android-aut...-head-to-head/
Old 06-18-15, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Home screen and organization - CarPlay
Navigation - Android Auto
Messaging apps - Android Auto
Audio streaming apps - CarPlay
Voice commands and search - Tie
Compatible phones - N/A
Compatible receivers - CarPlay

Pretty evenly matched. Hopefully they will adopt each others strengths and be available on more automakers soon.

This summed up the whole article

Which is best for you will depend on what you prefer from your mobile OS, but realistically your decision was already made when you chose the phone that's in your hand right now.
Old 06-18-15, 04:05 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Home screen and organization - CarPlay
Navigation - Android Auto
Messaging apps - Android Auto
Audio streaming apps - CarPlay
Voice commands and search - Tie
Compatible phones - N/A
Compatible receivers - CarPlay

Pretty evenly matched. Hopefully they will adopt each others strengths and be available on more automakers soon.

This summed up the whole article
You're going to be very distracted using Microsoft Cortana. It's like talking to a human-like robot.
Old 06-18-15, 04:34 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
You're going to be very distracted using Microsoft Cortana. It's like talking to a human-like robot.
Cortana reminds me of Fembots

Old 06-18-15, 04:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

well, whatever phone you have, you have to use that interface anyway.

BUT, I think Android Auto has big advantage:
1. Google Maps are simply way superior
2. Due to open interface, you bet that within a year you will see crazy custom apps for Android Apps.

It will take some time for both systems to mature, but IMHO, for my own vehicle, I would not buy one today unless it had Android Auto integration (since I use Android).
Old 06-18-15, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

It's pretty crazy where these cell phones are going. Apple is certainly changing from what they were in the past to become more service oriented.

I for one use both an iPhone as well as an Adroid phone. I kinda don't want the phones linking up and taking over my display.
Old 06-18-15, 09:13 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It'd be even cooler if they could make the OS work with the factory NAV systems. I'd never give up the stock navigation unit for an aftermarket one until they can make it work with the factory AC, back-up camera, and not look as gaudy as they all do. I dislike that every one of them screams, "Look at me, I'm an aftermarket navigation system!" When I install something, I try to integrate in such a way that you cannot tell it's there or cannot tell that it wasn't originally part of the car.

Last edited by NickTee; 06-18-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 04:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickTee
It'd be even cooler if they could make the OS work with the factory NAV systems. I'd never give up the stock navigation unit for an aftermarket one until they can make it work with the factory AC, back-up camera, and not look as gaudy as they all do. I dislike that every one of them screams, "Look at me, I'm an aftermarket navigation system!" When I install something, I try to integrate in such a way that you cannot tell it's there or cannot tell that it wasn't originally part of the car.
what we are talking about here is factory infotainment units that have carplay and android auto built in....
Old 06-19-15, 04:28 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
what we are talking about here is factory infotainment units that have carplay and android auto built in....
No, what is being talked about is Apple Carplay and Android Auto, which are infotainment operating systems(kind of) that are available in OEM cars and in Pioneer head units. Look at the article, most of them even show the Pioneer system. SMH.

Last edited by NickTee; 06-19-15 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 04:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

No, what is being talked about is Apple Carplay and Android Auto, which are infotainment operating systems(kind of) that are available in OEM cars and in Pioneer head units. Look at the article, most of them even show the Pioneer system. SMH.
they are built on the top of existing infotainement systems, they do not function on their own... they work like an app - once you connect android or iphone, it starts... without that, you have factory system. There are some aftermarket units with it, but i dont think anyone cares.

So it is exactly what you wanted.
Old 06-19-15, 05:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

The OS is the same whether in an OEM infotainment system or in a Pioneer head unit.

They can't show a lot of OEM implementations because it hasn't become available yet(except for a couple cars like the Hyundai Sonata(or was it the Elantra?))

So bashing Carplay/Android Auto for being aftermarket is pointless since they will be present in factory systems on almost every manufacturer within the next couple of years.
Old 06-19-15, 05:55 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The OS is the same whether in an OEM infotainment system or in a Pioneer head unit.

They can't show a lot of OEM implementations because it hasn't become available yet(except for a couple cars like the Hyundai Sonata(or was it the Elantra?))

So bashing Carplay/Android Auto for being aftermarket is pointless since they will be present in factory systems on almost every manufacturer within the next couple of years.
Where am I bashing it? Your comprehension skills are lacking if that's the conclusion you have come to.
What I said is that I dislike aftermarket head units in their appearance and that I'd like this to be available on the OEM nav units of already-released cars, not those that will be released in the future.
Old 06-19-15, 06:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Where am I bashing it? Your comprehension skills are lacking if that's the conclusion you have come to.
What I said is that I dislike aftermarket head units in their appearance and that I'd like this to be available on the OEM nav units of already-released cars, not those that will be released in the future.
Well, by the end of 2015, there will be a lot of cars with it... Sonata, XC90, Q7, some Opels in Europe... i dont follow every manufacturer but by next year probably all cars that get some kind of facelift and have a nav, will have this in.
Old 06-19-15, 09:36 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

You're tearing down the whole concept on the basis of them not being able to make it work with factory nav when clearly it will be replacing the factory nav.

CarPlay and Android Auto were both just announced last year.... the nature of product life cycles in the automotive industry means that it's naturally going to take a few years to hit the market. Sorry if it's not fast enough for you. It's coming, they can and they are integrating it into the factory system.

But by all means, insult me.