Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thanks to NX, Lexus Tops New Luxury Vehicle Registrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 10:06 AM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to NX, Lexus Tops New Luxury Vehicle Registrations

So far this year, Lexus tops new vehicle registrations in the United States, thanks to help from the extremely popular NX line of vehicles.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 06-18-15, 11:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a hot market segment.

If I were to get a new Lexus, I'd honestly go for the NX myself.
Old 06-18-15, 11:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's a hot market segment.

If I were to get a new Lexus, I'd honestly go for the NX myself.
Main point of this story is that Lexus has more new car registrations in USA than MB or BMW so far this year... i think this could be due to exports that might take few thousand of MB/BMW numbers, as well as dealer cars of course... both are counted in new car sales but not counted in new car registrations.
Old 06-18-15, 12:56 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

NX is the only vehicle in entire Lexus lineup I would look into if I only have 45K to spend. IS isn't much appealing tbh.
Old 06-18-15, 01:31 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

I am going to change car within a year from now and NX is the only Lexus left to buy for me. Another CT or IS would be pointless and the RX 450h to expensive. I would honestly not look at Lexus today if I had the money to buy a BMW 535i/ X5 40d or maybe Audi A6 Allroad/q7 3.0T with good options.

But I do really appreciate the reliability and service I got from Lexus through the years, so I am probably going for a NX 300h AWD with "medium" options.
Old 06-19-15, 04:06 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Glad to see the NX is contributing.

YTD to May 31st, it contributed almost 17k units. The NX is pacing at about 50% of the RX sales in the US while in Canada, it's 80% and trending to meet or exceed the RX! No surprises since we love compact vehicles more than mid-size ( including cars Civic/Corolla best sellers vs Camry/Accord in the US)

Let's not forget the RC contributing as well at almost 6k units too...
Old 06-19-15, 08:03 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Aren't people also blaming it for the mediocre PP100 ratings?
Old 06-19-15, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
NX is the only vehicle in entire Lexus lineup I would look into if I only have 45K to spend.
If you were spending 45K, you could get an RX, though not with many options. I personally found the existing RX a nicer and more refined vehicle to drive.....and, yes, I've sampled an NX.
Old 06-19-15, 01:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you were spending 45K, you could get an RX, though not with many options. I personally found the existing RX a nicer and more refined vehicle to drive.....and, yes, I've sampled an NX.
But this is why opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. You prefer the RX, and others prefer the NX. "Nicer" can be very subjective.

In terms of retail registrations.. I think Toyota brand also uses this metric to claim largest retail brand in America, outpacing Ford, which has a lot of commercial and rental fleet sales. Toyota also utilizes those sales channels, but to a lesser degree.

Last edited by pbm317; 06-19-15 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
But this is why opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. You prefer the RX, and others prefer the NX. "Nicer" can be very subjective.
Agreed, but one should be aware of all his or her options.

The NX is not a bad vehicle to drive by any means, but it's clearly not as refined as an RX.
Old 06-19-15, 02:58 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Another upside of choosing the RX over the NX is that you wouldn't have to hear people say that it's a glorified RAV4.
Old 06-19-15, 03:27 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickTee
Another upside of choosing the RX over the NX is that you wouldn't have to hear people say that it's a glorified RAV4.
Every Lexus made is based on a existing Toyota model ( engine, chassi, transmission, technology ) and has always been, except for maybe LFA. Call it Harrier, Aristo, Camry or RAV4 or what ever people want. This should be nothing new and the only way to aviod this is to buy another brand.
Old 06-19-15, 04:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Every Lexus made is based on a existing Toyota model ( engine, chassi, transmission, technology ) and has always been, except for maybe LFA. Call it Harrier, Aristo, Camry or RAV4 or what ever people want. This should be nothing new and the only way to aviod this is to buy another brand.
there is a clear difference of Lexus selling their models as Toyota in Japan when Lexus was not launched there, and what you are saying which basically means most Audi's are Skodas.
Old 06-19-15, 04:46 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is a clear difference of Lexus selling their models as Toyota in Japan when Lexus was not launched there, and what you are saying which basically means most Audi's are Skodas.
Not really, Audi-Volkswagen are more like Lexus - Toyota, Skoda is more like a Scion with clearly cheaper materials. But then again, do you really mean that there is a huge difference in terms of what I said above ? Engines ? Gearboxes ? Technology ? Compare A4, Superb and Passat and let me know, Im not talking about interior materials or avaliable options ( like quattro ) here, just basic technology.

Last edited by Mr Bond; 06-19-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 05:50 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I built the option I want for NX. 41K MSRP, I know I can get invoice from my local dealer, so 38K. RX with option I want would put my well close to 50K invoice, That's pretty steep. I'm sure I can have someone do Alcantara on some interior pieces for less than 1K. NX Ride is definitely stiffer than RX, but I own 15 WRX, the stiffest WRX ever made. NX would be ten fold more in term of riding comfort. Plus I personally like the look of NX more and its compact body.

Quick Reply: Thanks to NX, Lexus Tops New Luxury Vehicle Registrations