Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Change to my auto policy

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 01:51 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Change to my auto policy

I was inspired by threads about the cost of OEM windshield replacement. A rock flies up and cracks your windshield. It's over $1000 to replace genuine Lexus. Your Comprehensive part of insurance covers it. But like many people, I have my deductible set high for lower rates. Why file an insurance claim with a $1000 deductible?
What I didn't realize is that you can choose a low deductible for the comprehensive part of your policy and keep the high deductible for collision and liability. I talked to my agent today. I now have $100 ded. for comprehensive. If my hood, headlight, rim, windshield are damaged by something other than a collision, I'm covered with a low deductible. The change to my policy costs $20/yr. I may not have explained it as well as my agent did but this seems like a good idea to me and her both.
Old 06-15-15, 02:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please confirm with your insurance company, most companies doesn't pay for OEM windshield if there is aftermarket ones available.

And if your car is a lease, under the lease agreement you would prob have to have OEM windshield at the time of lease return.
Old 06-15-15, 02:32 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Good point, just because I'm able to file a claim cheaper doesn't mean I'm going to get OEM automatically without a fight.
Old 06-15-15, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, with most insurance companies (I'm not sure about all of them), you can set your Comprehansive and Collision at two different levels. I'm with GEICO, and that's what I do. I have no deductible on Comprehensive because of the constant heavy traffic in my area and the possible stuff that tires can kick up, and a $500 deductible on collision to keep the rates down. If you're a decent and careful driver, you are likely to need Comprehensive more often than Collision, especially if you live and drive in an area where frequent storms can also damage your car.

On the question of an OEM or aftermarket windshield, as long as it fits, doesn't leak, and doesn't warp or distort your vision with defective glass, I wouldn't worry too much whether it is OEM or not. In fact, some OEM parts are a ripoff from the factory with outrageous prices. And, in some cases (not all), the same parts-suppliers make both OEM and aftermarket parts, being considered OEM only if and when they actually sell them to the auto companies.

Some Subarus have electrically-heated windshields, with an electric grid in the lower part actually embedded in the glass, which thaws out frozen windshield-wipers. That type of windshield replacement is more critical and tricky than just a piece of glass, but it would probably not affect your Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 09:50 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would still look what brand it is. Not all aftermarket glass is equal and considering the importance of the windshield, I would not want a low-end aftermarket windshield.
Old 06-16-15, 03:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Also check the terms of your policy. Pretty much all of them will waive the deductible for a windshield repair--if the crack is less than a certain size and not directly in front of the driver, it can be filled and will be nearly invisible. Some, but not all, will also waive the deductible for windshield replacement. They do this because it's in their best financial interest to ensure that you can see where you're going.
Old 06-16-15, 03:53 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Will an aftermarket LS460 windshield have laminated UV blocking glass and work with the wiper/rain sensor like OEM?
Old 06-16-15, 06:45 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
Also check the terms of your policy. Pretty much all of them will waive the deductible for a windshield repair--if the crack is less than a certain size and not directly in front of the driver, it can be filled and will be nearly invisible. Some, but not all, will also waive the deductible for windshield replacement. They do this because it's in their best financial interest to ensure that you can see where you're going.
Your suggestion to check is appreciated. My insurer, MetLife covers glass replacement with no deductible.
Old 06-16-15, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
I would still look what brand it is. Not all aftermarket glass is equal and considering the importance of the windshield, I would not want a low-end aftermarket windshield.
Agreed that one would not want junk, but all automotive windshield glass in the American market, regardless of supplier, has to meet Federal safety standards for integrity and crash-resistance.

Body panels and sheet metal, though, are another matter. With them, there sometimes is a big difference between OEM and aftermarket. OEM has the required anti-corrosion treatments...that's not necessarily the case with aftermarkets.
Old 06-16-15, 09:24 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I don't need a replacement currently, but I would do a search for reviews and complaints about different windshield mfgrs. All will meet federal standards but may not have the optical standards that others have?? If I'm correct, that would be very annoying to me. Good to know about sheet metal standards or lack of! Thanks.
Old 06-16-15, 09:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I was inspired by threads about the cost of OEM windshield replacement. A rock flies up and cracks your windshield. It's over $1000 to replace genuine Lexus. Your Comprehensive part of insurance covers it. But like many people, I have my deductible set high for lower rates. Why file an insurance claim with a $1000 deductible?
What I didn't realize is that you can choose a low deductible for the comprehensive part of your policy and keep the high deductible for collision and liability. I talked to my agent today. I now have $100 ded. for comprehensive. If my hood, headlight, rim, windshield are damaged by something other than a collision, I'm covered with a low deductible. The change to my policy costs $20/yr. I may not have explained it as well as my agent did but this seems like a good idea to me and her both.
The amount of your deductible has nothing to do with whether your insurer will agree to pay for OEM windshield instead of aftermarket.
Old 06-16-15, 09:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Will an aftermarket LS460 windshield have laminated UV blocking glass and work with the wiper/rain sensor like OEM?
A SafeLite windshield worked fine with the rain sensor when I had to replace my IS250 windshield.
Old 06-16-15, 10:49 AM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Great advice. If the insurer offers that coverage, leave the comp deductible where it is. Keeping the deductible higher will deter you from making too many claims. For example, one of my clients had a $100 deductible and somehow, every other week she made claims for scratches, broken windshields etc. Now, she's obviously a special case, and she paid for the claims handsomely when her insurer decided to non-renew. She also had a tough time finding coverage that was not too expensive as any comp claim shows up on the CLUE report (like a credit score for insured drivers). When insurers get past a certain loss ratio in relation to your premium, good luck finding reasonable priced coverage...

Your suggestion to check is appreciated. My insurer, MetLife covers glass replacement with no deductible.
We've had good success with MetLife. Unfortunately they've recently closed a lot of their markets due to losses. We're patiently waiting for them to reopen - great rates, and great coverage.

I don't need a replacement currently, but I would do a search for reviews and complaints about different windshield mfgrs. All will meet federal standards but may not have the optical standards that others have?? If I'm correct, that would be very annoying to me. Good to know about sheet metal standards or lack of! Thanks.
I doubt the insurer is going to take the risk of installing a sub-par windshield. Some of my carriers jump at the opportunity for SafeLite to come out rather than replace the whole thing.

Originally Posted by tex2670
A SafeLite windshield worked fine with the rain sensor when I had to replace my IS250 windshield.
I've heard mixed feelings about SafeLite. Personally, I think they offer decent work. If it's a small chip that is caught at the right time, they're more than enough. For larger cracks, I think it's best to just call the insurer and challenge them to replace the whole thing. When they do replace, since they work so much with the insurers, the replacements are going to be up to the par of the leasing company.

As agents/brokers we have to make sure that the policy is written correctly in terms of lease vs. financed vs. no note. If the car is leased, insurers usually have a list of acceptable parts to use when replacing. Financed is a similar thing but you can declare diminished value and no note you can do the same but they might (doubt it though) replace your parts with something of lesser value.

This reminds me...I should probably talk to a few adjusters on this!
Old 06-16-15, 11:07 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish I had paid more attention to glass when I took out my insurance policy.

I replaced my windshield out of pocket last month. I'm insured through Allstate and my agent told me I would have to pay the deductible($1,000) before insurance would kick in.

I paid $220 to a local place to come put in a windshield. It was a laminated OEM windshield. It would have been $40 more if I had the rain sensor.
Old 06-16-15, 11:32 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The house always wins. You're not going to win against insurance companies.

I'm not sure if I would want OEM windshield. The one on my gs350 is crap, with brown glue oozing from the top edge inside the glass. Looks very ugly

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I wish I had paid more attention to glass when I took out my insurance policy.

I replaced my windshield out of pocket last month. I'm insured through Allstate and my agent told me I would have to pay the deductible($1,000) before insurance would kick in.

I paid $220 to a local place to come put in a windshield. It was a laminated OEM windshield. It would have been $40 more if I had the rain sensor.

what? the whole windshield was just 220?
Attached Thumbnails Change to my auto policy-cam00103.jpg  

Last edited by pman6; 06-16-15 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Change to my auto policy