Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arctic Blast - A/C additive...more efficient & better mpg. Has anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 10:59 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Arctic Blast - A/C additive...more efficient & better mpg. Has anyone tried it?

I get emails from Toyota about this service periodically and d I'm very curious. I want to try it but worried that it's just "snake oil". But for just $70 bucks, I may give it a try.

Has anyone tried it and can share their experience? Is the A/C colder? Did you really notice an improvement in mpg?

Here's a description of what it is below...

What is ArcticBlast™ and how does it work?

ArcticBlast™ is an eco-friendly product specifically designed to improve the refrigerant already installed in your vehicle. By improving the refrigerant you make the entire air conditioning system more efficient giving you faster cooling, greater comfort and even lower fuel consumption.

Platinum Performance

Colder air - The performance of air conditioning in a vehicle is measured by how cold it gets. As outside temperatures rise, many systems struggle to keep up. ArcticBlast™ will give you the coldest air possible, every time even on the hottest days. Faster cooling - The faster your vehicle cools down the sooner you become comfortable, and that’s important to you and your passengers. Within seconds a system treated with ArcticBlast™ produces cold crisp air, giving you the fastest cool down possible. In side by side tests, vehicles treated with ArcticBlast™ cooled down significantly faster than untreated vehicles.

ArcticBlast™ Technology:
ArcticBlast™ has the technology, guaranteed to improve both the performance and efficiency of the air conditioning system in your vehicle.
Automotive professionals around the world recommend ArcticBlast™ because it really works.
The modified refrigerant will use less energy, produce colder air temperatures and save you money. ArcticBlast™ is absorbed into the refrigerant improving thermal efficiency.
ArcticBlast™ truly gives you the perfect blend of performance and efficiency.

Unlike traditional vehicles most Hybrid EV’s use an electric driven compressor for the air conditioning. On some of these vehicles air conditioning can consume as much as 48% of available battery power and result in reduced electric range. ArcticBlast can reduce energy demand by the electric compressor resulting in extended vehicle range.

ArcticBlast can help you reduce your carbon footprint.
Attached Thumbnails Arctic Blast - A/C additive...more efficient & better mpg. Has anyone tried it?-arctic-blast.png  
Old 06-15-15, 11:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't believe this to be Toyota recommended, but rather Dealer sponsored.
Old 06-15-15, 11:57 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't say how it improves, dealerships like to sell lots of products....
Old 06-15-15, 12:05 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Arctic Blast - A/C additive...more efficient & better mpg. Has anyone tried it?

Originally Posted by doge
It doesn't say how it improves, dealerships like to sell lots of products....
I agree. There's no information in the 3 paragraphs they provide. Pretty sure you're paying $75 for a can of this. I'd skip it...
Attached Thumbnails Arctic Blast - A/C additive...more efficient & better mpg. Has anyone tried it?-photo698.jpg  
Old 06-15-15, 12:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I read about this or a similar additive that was supposed to make the AC colder about 2 years ago but read some comments from people who used it and said the felt no difference, I think I read a couple people saying it screwed up their AC system which is what I would be worried about putting a product in a complex AC system that may not be designed to reliably handle cooler temps then stock. I also remember some saying they use a special refrigerant not widely available that some commercial AC shops have access too for cooler are but it was like over $100 for a little can if you could even get a hold of it.

I would wait for some real world reviews and long term durability before putting that in your AC system.
Old 06-15-15, 12:47 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd imagine it's just snake oil and who knows if it could damage your AC system.
Old 06-15-15, 01:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had tried Arctic Freeze in my Mazda6. Made no difference.
Old 06-15-15, 02:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In my old 2007 Mazda3 with a weak a/c system I was having it evacuated/recharged anyway so I decided to use some stuff called 'Ice32' that they guaranteed it to lower the a/c temp at the vents...it did but just a couple of degrees, not the dramatically colder air I was hoping for.

I heard it's good to get the a/c system completely evacuated and re-charged every so often.

http://www.ice32.com/

Last edited by bagwell; 06-15-15 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 02:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

With the pressure on the manufacturers to improve fuel mileage, I tend to believe they'd be using this already if better mileage was as easy as an a/c compressor additive. I'd avoid it.