Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Facelifted LX570 / Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 08:16 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I highly doubt there are many people who actually take the current 570 off road. And from the looks of the brochure that is leaked, it appears Lexus is going to go in a different direction in regards to the marketing of the 16 LX. I doubt we are going to see off roading ads etc etc.
Maybe not in the US or Canada but looks like in other parts of the world it's very common.
Old 06-22-15, 02:44 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
The official announcement is August 17th in Japan for the LC, i think the LX will definitely around that maybe even on the same date. Turns out the 17th of June was for the Prado as it is getting some powertrain updates.

The thing is, now that they have extensively updated the LX, obviously they have extended it's life cycle and will probably unveil this in a similar fashion to the LS and market it as all new while it is obviously still based on the 200 series platform.
It can easily go another 4 more model years, the LC update however, is minor compared to this, will this mean they will now go separate ways? I don't see the LC update having as long of a life span as this LX redesign.
Thank you for that correction, makes more sense, seeing of course how nothing appeared by June 17th on the 200. This likely cost the company a steep fortune, even if you include the minor updates to the Land Cruiser. Like the LS changes in 2012, they will try to spread it out over a 4-year period for ROI.

Alternatively, keeping the LX as it is for longer than that (past 2019) and priorly introducing a large RWD CUV as its indirect replacement is possible. Mercedes-Benz intended to replace the G-Class in 2006 with the X164 GL-Class, but opted out of it by 2005 and continues to make changes to the W463 platform introduced in 1990. Lexus could do that, but of course where does that leave the GX?

One didn't know what Mark Templin meant by saying that the futures of the GX and LX hang in the air. Maybe he's onto something and not being shown or told about a redesigned GX yet, gave him concerns. As well as the possibility they said from Japan, that they are NOT redesigning the LX after this.

I know you've not said much about the 300 lately, but I believe it is possible that this new Land Cruiser 200 update previews its design. I wager that the 300 will have thinner headlights, possibly with an evolution of this new grille. One of those 3 design proposals made the final cut, so that gives an idea.

LC

[/url]

Having a better look at it, Toyota's done a decent job with it. The bottom example looks to be what will replace our '13 in December. As I said above, to a degree one may be seeing elements of its successor, about 3 years early.

comparing the side profile of the LC and the LX

The similarities between the two, are seen much clearer at this angle. I've noticed that some post-2012 versions are labeled J202 versus J200, so does that make any of these J203 or J204?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus is getting good at implementing the spindle..

Like cmk1 said, the first thing I thought of after seeing this was LS imitation

The center stack is elegant with the horizontal layer and houses both the analog clock and navigation screen well. Some off road users may dislike the lack of a ‘hand brake’ like the current LX. Likely gone to an electronic parking brake. Steering wheel is thicker
This has a proper LS feel, such the original 1998 LX470 with the 1998 LS400 and 2008 LX with the 2007 LS. Lexus has very much used the LS as a template, on what to bring to the LX. However, the interior design of the 100-Series actually influenced the LS430 set-up (eye-level EMV screen), even though the US-market LX470 didn't get a touchscreen until late 2000, as the LS430 came out. BMW was second to introduce an eye-level screen in late 2001/early 2002 on the 7-Series, yet Lexus/Toyota receives no credit.

This just hints at how well Lexus can do ultra-luxury interiors, even though the next LS interior will likely top that significantly. Save for over dramatic trolls, many people outside of CL like the changes for MY2016, even though many biased "journalism" outlets have opted to skip reporting on these leaks and instead stuck with the crappy Japanese renderings instead.

I greatly apologise to your dealer conference sources, as I do not blame them for thinking this was a full model change. These were the same shots (via video?) shown to Lexus personnel in September 2014 of a 2016 LX prototype and probably quite briefly. The funny thing is, people have been able to sit inside prototypes of the 2017 LS since last year, but not something like this due over a year earlier. Lack of prototype availability I figure?

Except for some old-school Africans (personal experience), I don't think much of anyone will be bothered by the lack of a "proper" handbrake (especially in the US).

Originally Posted by freespirit
If the face-lifted LC200 will have the current Toyota Crown Interior.

So this means

The face-lifted LX will have the next generation Lexus LS Interior.

Case closed
Not quite, the next LS' interior would've been designed to surpass that surely. Outside of JLR, SUV/CUV interiors are always inferior compared to that of parallel saloon counterparts (GL/S, GX/GS). If the LS and LX had fully equivalent interiors, the retail price for the LX would skyrocket.

I have a good feeling we are going to see a change to the power train. My guess is a 5.0 litre Atkinson
You cleverly predicted the Atkinson cycle (with no prior info), as that turned out to be true. Considering that Lexus always files trademarks in advance of any vehicle introductions (no "LX500"), a 5.0 V8 is highly unlikely. That will be saved for the LS500 and LC500 (latter is already trademarked).

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
definition of crazy - wanting a manual on an LC/LX
Not so crazy. The Prado 4.0L 6-speed manual is a nice drive and so was the Land Cruiser 105.

I highly doubt there are many people who actually take the current 570 off road. And from the looks of the brochure that is leaked, it appears Lexus is going to go in a different direction in regards to the marketing of the 16 LX. I doubt we are going to see off roading ads etc etc.
Well, plenty of LX570 owners do not live in the US. A vast amount of LX570s are bought from U.S. dealers on the East Coast and Gulf state region (TX, LA, MS, AL), then exported to much of LHD Africa (Asians import from GCC or Hong Kong for RHD). I've had my hand at doing that.

Maybe you are saying is true for recreational off-roading, but not so much having to drive day-to-day in rough conditions with pothole-laden or nonexistent roads. The LX goes off-road more than any other Lexus, as the GX is not as popular (save for US successes 2013-15).
Old 06-22-15, 11:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I am not sure about LX, but for LX, you can get off road bumper package if you are concerned about trails... not sure why would anyone do that in the US though... even for Aussie and Arabian countries, i would guess it is more for fun than actual need.
Old 06-22-15, 06:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Maybe not in the US or Canada but looks like in other parts of the world it's very common.
Seriously!! The LX570 is joke for off-roading. Just because it still has "some" credentials does not make it so. Lexus clearly needs to move the LX from what it currently is into something more like the competition. That being said, I still love the LX and would probably get one if in the market, but the other makes in the class are much better.
Old 06-22-15, 06:50 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Define "joke for offroading," because I've taken a FWD Grand Caravan offroad before and even that wasn't a "joke for offroading." You just need to know how to drive.
Old 06-22-15, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Seriously!! The LX570 is joke for off-roading. Just because it still has "some" credentials does not make it so. Lexus clearly needs to move the LX from what it currently is into something more like the competition. That being said, I still love the LX and would probably get one if in the market, but the other makes in the class are much better.
this is probably the silliest statement i have seen in a while now.
Old 06-22-15, 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is probably the silliest statement i have seen in a while now.
i am with you. some people have no idea what the lx is capable of before they talk
Old 06-22-15, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Seriously!! The LX570 is joke for off-roading.
Come on, Jill. Some owners may not WANT to take their LX off-road and get that nice shiny expensive paint-job and trim scuffed or scratched up. But, if they actually wanted to, the LX, despite its plushness and comfort, can do almost anything off-road that its arch-rival Range Rover can. To say that it is not an off-roader is simply to deny reality....and look at what its slightly less-expensive Toyota Land Cruiser brother routinely does, every day, in Third World conditions, all over the planet.
Old 06-22-15, 11:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, Jill. Some owners may not WANT to take their LX off-road and get that nice shiny expensive paint-job and trim scuffed or scratched up. But, if they actually wanted to, the LX, despite its plushness and comfort, can do almost anything off-road that its arch-rival Range Rover can. To say that it is not an off-roader is simply to deny reality....and look at what its slightly less-expensive Toyota Land Cruiser brother routinely does, every day, in Third World conditions, all over the planet.
Deny reality, I love that saying lol.

Truth be told, the LX has become a bloated electric failure on four wheels. The LX450 and early LX470 (like what I once owned) where very worry off-road vehicles. The LX450 we actually have one is more of a machine than a vehicle.

Why I said it was a joke was for the fact that Toyota added about 20k of expensive electronic crap that more than likely will go wrong, gone are the locking diffs, gone are the excellent approach/departure credentials. Toyota removed the excellent floor shifter for 4WD shifting. Then let's add some more failure points in the AVS system or air suspension. Oh and I forgot that the LX has ridiculous 20" tires that will go nowhere off the beaten path.....so....so much for building or modifying the LX570.

As for RR, I don't have much faith in that either.

The Land Cruiser I will give some respect to, but agian there is a lot of electronic stuff that can go wrong. The ground clearance at the minimum is less than 9"....but at least there is some better aftermarket support and from stock the LC is pretty decent for off roading.

Toyota kinda did the 4Runner right by adding a trail edition or Pro model that has a lot of the goods of what true off road buyers really want. Compared to the limited that has some serious limitations thanks to the large wheels, poor overhangs, electric shifter and other stuff. (And I am not afraid to admit this as my mom just got one)

I think the next LX will depart from the off road marketing and move toward higher end luxury.

Compared to a G-wagon, the LX570 in reality is a joke off the beaten path.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-23-15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 04:22 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Deny reality, I love that saying lol.

Truth be told, the LX has become a bloated electric failure on four wheels. The LX450 and early LX470 (like what I once owned) where very worry off-road vehicles. The LX450 we actually have one is more of a machine than a vehicle.

Why I said it was a joke was for the fact that Toyota added about 20k of expensive electronic crap that more than likely will go wrong, gone are the locking diffs, gone are the excellent approach/departure credentials. Toyota removed the excellent floor shifter for 4WD shifting. Then let's add some more failure points in the AVS system or air suspension. Oh and I forgot that the LX has ridiculous 20" tires that will go nowhere off the beaten path.....so....so much for building or modifying the LX570.

As for RR, I don't have much faith in that either.

The Land Cruiser I will give some respect to, but agian there is a lot of electronic stuff that can go wrong. The ground clearance at the minimum is less than 9"....but at least there is some better aftermarket support and from stock the LC is pretty decent for off roading.

Toyota kinda did the 4Runner right by adding a trail edition or Pro model that has a lot of the goods of what true off road buyers really want. Compared to the limited that has some serious limitations thanks to the large wheels, poor overhangs, electric shifter and other stuff. (And I am not afraid to admit this as my mom just got one)

I think the next LX will depart from the off road marketing and move toward higher end luxury.

Compared to a G-wagon, the LX570 is reality is a joke off the beaten path.
Well there is recreational off-roading like driving on non pavement and there is extreme off-roading. I think I understand what you are trying to say.

While I cant comment on LX I can say few things about RR and extreme terrain. If you take RR to serious off-roading like in promotional videos or staged terrains for video reviews there is a serious maintenance service that needs to be done in order to maintain reliability down the road. While they can technically be abused over rocks, go down the water and eat dust there are serious reliability consequences down the road if post check up and required maintenance is not done cause they are fragile. Most likely same can be said for LX as well, I don't know. LX is very popular in desert regions but for that purpose it has special modifications to sustain that kind of environment and maintenances services are most likely different so it can sustain the abuse. Don't expect none of that for US market if you want to take it to the extreme but recreational off-roading should not be an issue.
Old 06-23-15, 07:42 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truth be told, the LX has become a bloated electric failure on four wheels.
LOL what? Do you see electronics in LX fail all the time or something? You should go read forums for some domestic SUVs, such as Grand Cherokee, to get an idea what "electric failure on wheels" actually means.
Old 06-23-15, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Seriously!!
so if you're serious, you agree that while it might not be common in the u.s. and canada, it is common for the lx/lc (mainly lc) to go off road in other parts of the world.

The LX570 is joke for off-roading.
your comment is a joke. have you ever driven one off road? i have. it's IMMENSELY capable.

That being said, I still love the LX and would probably get one if in the market, but the other makes in the class are much better.
like what? guessing you'll say range rover?

edit:

Compared to a G-wagon, the LX570 in reality is a joke off the beaten path.
ah now i see. the g-wagon starts at $115k u.s. and the lx starts at $83 u.s. so already it's $30K lower, so hopefully you get something for that.

the g-wagon is without doubt an incredible off road vehicle, and maybe a notch above the lx/lc, but either is a first rate choice. if you can only come up with one vehicle you'd rather have than an lx/lc then that doesn't make the lx/lc a 'joke'.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-23-15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 08:10 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ah now i see. the g-wagon starts at $115k u.s. and the lx starts at $83 u.s. so already it's $30K lower, so hopefully you get something for that.
That's probably the most sane comment in this whole LX discussion.

Here is what $30K extra LX build looks like:

Question is -- does it provide $30K extra value for the average LX buyer demographics? I think not. If you are not happy with the tires you can change them (Jill -- who would have thought?). If approach angle is such a big issue -- install ARB. Yes it all costs extra $$$ but you're just paying what would otherwise be included in vehicle MSRP anyways.
Old 06-23-15, 09:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

funny thing is that LC is probably most offroaded vehicle in the world, and vehicle people buy when they drive in tough conditions daily... Just check sales in the desert countries to see whats capable and whats not.
Old 06-23-15, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well there is recreational off-roading like driving on non pavement and there is extreme off-roading. I think I understand what you are trying to say..
I am glad you get what I am trying to say, as a stock vehicle the LX is barely adequate. Compared to the LX470 and especially the LX450 there have been some serious concessions made with the 570. Most of the praise comes from the past heritage....

Quick Reply: Facelifted LX570 / Land Cruiser