Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking about tinting my new LS460...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Thinking about tinting my new LS460...need advice

Figured I would post this here since I wanted advice from everybody.

I've always thought about tint, but never did it. I've decided I'm going to finally have my new LS460 tinted.

35% is legal here, and my plan is to go with 40% tint most likely. Car is Nebula Grey with a grey interior:

I've been looking at tint on the road, and I've been looking at stuff on the internet. I like the way some tint looks...and don't care for how other tint looks. I don't want it to look real flat black, I like a smokier look and a little subtle mirroring I like as well.

My research has led me to Huper Optik, and I like the way the tint looks in pictures and like the ceramic heat rejection, clarity, etc. However, finding installers seems to be pretty difficult around here anymore. A very convenient local installer offers SolarGuard and 3M films. They offer 3M Crystaline for $650 installed. I'm willing to pay for good high quality tint.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 06-14-15, 02:54 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

40 is way too light. 35 is too light. If I am gonna bother getting tint it's gotta be 20% or less. Just my opinion.

35 gonna be the most popular since it's legal.
Old 06-14-15, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

is 35% only for front windows or? I always do all of my vehicles in 25%, but only back of the vehicle as front windows are always illegal here.
Old 06-14-15, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Everything but the windshield. 35 isn't legal here with the tint thats already in the windows, its 35 net...so really 40 is whats legal. One of my sales guys just had his 2015 GS tinted 40% and I think it looks great, although I think his tint is too black IMHO. Everything can be tinted here but the windshield.

The % isn't my question, its more what films have what looks and color, etc. What films are the clearest...etc...
Old 06-14-15, 03:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

35% is legal here in IL too. Our last car had 40% Llumar and it was just right for our tastes. We currently have 35% 3M on both cars and are happy with it too. My main concern with both brands was to find good installers. I was pleased with both jobs.
Old 06-14-15, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Thinking about tinting my new LS460...need advice

Originally Posted by LexBob2
35% is legal here in IL too. Our last car had 40% Llumar and it was just right for our tastes. We currently have 35% 3M on both cars and are happy with it too. My main concern with both brands was to find good installers. I was pleased with both jobs.
How would you describe the color/look Bob? Which Llumar and 3M tints? Thanks!
Old 06-14-15, 05:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Whatever your final decision will be, just make sure the film you're getting does not contain any metallic properties. Films like that often interfere with mobile devices, and in some cases car's GPS system.
Old 06-14-15, 05:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
How would you describe the color/look Bob? Which Llumar and 3M tints? Thanks!
The look and color of the 40% Llumar was subtle and toned down without being too dark. It gave good levels of glare reduction and UV protection. Not as much as darker tints but enough for us in this area of the country, while giving us the look we wanted.

The 3M is similar in all respects even though it's 35%. Hard to tell the difference between the two unless the cars are parked next to each other and you look real close..

The average person may not notice, but the 3M has a slight brown/bronze tone while the Llumar is more of a gray. I didn't notice this until having both for over a year.
Old 06-14-15, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Figured I would post this here since I wanted advice from everybody.

35% is legal here, and my plan is to go with 40% tint most likely. Car is Nebula Grey with a grey interior:

Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!
Have you sampled a vehicle with 40% to make sure it does not interfere too much with your personal night vision?......(what works for someone else may or may not work for you). Most of the roads in the immediate D.C./Baltimore region, where you live, are pretty well-lit, even at night, but if you are in an area without street lights or other lighting, you'll want to be sure that it doesn't block too much vision.

If you don't have any problems at night with 40%, and it is legal in MD, and if you are satisfied with the price of installing it, then fine, go for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-15 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Whatever your final decision will be, just make sure the film you're getting does not contain any metallic properties. Films like that often interfere with mobile devices, and in some cases car's GPS system.
Absolutely, thats why I'm focusing on ceramic tints.

Originally Posted by LexBob
The 3M is similar in all respects even though it's 35%. Hard to tell the difference between the two unless the cars are parked next to each other and you look real close..

The average person may not notice, but the 3M has a slight brown/bronze tone while the Llumar is more of a gray. I didn't notice this until having both for over a year.
Thanks Bob, very helpful! I assume your 3M is the Color Stable tint not the Crystalline tint, it only comes as dark as 40%. The Crystalline sounds cool, but its twice as expensive...

Have you sampled a vehicle with 40% to make sure it does not interfere too much with your personal night vision?......(what works for someone else may or may not work for you). Most of the roads in the immediate D.C./Baltimore region, where you live, are pretty well-lit, even at night, but if you are in an area without street lights or other lighting, you'll want to be sure that it doesn't block too much vision.
Yeah it doesn't bother me, I have a buddy who just had his GS done 40% and I've ridden in it at night and its fine.
Old 06-14-15, 06:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

It sounds like you've done your research! Yes our 3M is Color Stable. I seriously considered Crystalline but couldn't justify the cost. I keep cars 3-4 years with fairly low miles driven and didn't want to tie up that much in tint film. Plus, I wanted to try 35% and stay with the 3M brand.
Old 06-14-15, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I can't justify the additional cost, and looking around at some of the tint forums a lot of the pros really don't like the Crystalline.

If I use the installer that my buddy used then its between the Solar Gard UP Ceramic or the 3M Color Stable for the same price. His is the 3M Color Stable.
Old 06-14-15, 06:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

congrats on new car btw, was there a thread about it?

As to tint, in my experience they are all quite different, from thickness to color and how good can you see from the inside.
Old 06-14-15, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
congrats on new car btw, was there a thread about it?
Thanks! Yep, threads in the 4GS and 4LS forums.
Old 06-14-15, 10:25 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20% all around and 50% on the windshield. No one needs to know whats happening in my car.

Quick Reply: Thinking about tinting my new LS460...need advice