Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man and dog trapped in 2007 Corvette die.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-15, 07:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Picture shows it's not a Z06. But it still has levers on the floor. AND A REMOVABLE TOP THAT COULD BE FIGURED OUT BY EVEN THE DOG.

"Rogers' daughter Tricia Hernandez says her it's heartbreaking that his dream car ended up taking his life."
No, it was being stupid, being suicidal, or being someone that wasn't fit to operate a vehicle that ended his life.
Kinda harsh. I'm sure his family and friends feel differently.
Old 06-13-15, 08:19 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Kinda harsh. I'm sure his family and friends feel differently.
Reality is harsh, it's not sugar coated and full of rainbows. I'm sure the families of Darwin Award winners feel differently, but it doesn't take away from the winner's stupidity and how it led to their demise. If he cannot manage to escape from a car with clearly-labeled release levers and a removable top that is blindingly obvious to remove, I've had passengers figure it out within 10 seconds of seeing the rear release lever(they'd never been in the car before), something else was going on.
Old 06-13-15, 08:22 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Playing devils advocate here, but there might be a lock on the targa top to keep people from stealing it. I know my old Camaro, the t-tops had locks on them, you put the round door key in the lock so people wouldn't steal them or some idiot passenger wouldn't grab the release handle thinking its the "OH *****" handle and inadvertently release them.

Like somebody else said, there is a metal key for the door in the key fob, if there is a lock for the targa top, I'm sure that same key works it.

IMO this whole thing sounds fishy, I'm having my doubts about him being locked in the car. They said it was in a waffle house parking lot, where there are a lot of people going in/out of the place. Old man could've banged on the window or something and got somebody's attention he was stuck in the Vette. I'm thinking he had a heart attack or something, then the dog died after being stuck in the car with his dead owner for a few hours.
Old 06-13-15, 11:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What a stupid way to design this car. Typical GM crap.
Old 06-13-15, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Earlier reports were that it was a Z06, which was 6MT-only from its introduction in the C5. Looks like they did add an automatic to the C6 at some point, though I'm not sure when.

Regardless, that bit is moot, as NickTee points out, it was in fact NOT a Z06. But my main point still stands: the levers are blindingly obvious. As are the ones for the roof. Poor dog.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that part of it. Negligence on the driver's part is still negligence.
Old 06-13-15, 12:00 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice if the salesperson took some time to go over certain features of a car (like windshield wipers in snow mode in the GS or this lever in the Corvette) before delivering it to the customer--just sayin'.
Old 06-13-15, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What a stupid way to design this car. Typical GM crap.
Well, first of all, although I personally don't care for a design like that either, electronic door locks are not limited to GM by any means...........it's not necessarily "typical GM crap". Second, the Corvette is not a simple econobox.....it is a complex high performance vehicle that takes some reading of the Owners Manual to familiarize oneself with some of its systems.

Originally Posted by obdurator
It would be nice if the salesperson took some time to go over certain features of a car (like windshield wipers in snow mode in the GS and this lever in the Corvette) before delivering it to the customer--just sayin'.
Yes....agreed. I find that, in some of the more complex vehicles that I review, I sometimes appreciate a little help from the salespeople in learning how to navigate through complex systems like MMI, I-Drive, CUE, MYTouch, etc.....

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Natural selection. You always feel bad for someone and their family, but nature always works. If I'm in a car and can't open the door, and I'm suffocating from heat exhaustion, I'm getting out of that car one way or the other.

EDIT- Just read the article.

James Rogers, 72, stopped at a Port Arthur restaurant for coffee and left his dog in his recently purchased 2007 Corvette
So...its karma. Guy leaves his dog in the hot car while he stops at a restaurant for coffee...then himself gets locked in a car and dies from heat exhaustion...unfortunately for the poor dog he was stuck in there too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-14-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-14-15, 11:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
I feel for his family, but there are options such as breaking the window...
I keep a fold up hammer in my map pocket--just in case...
Old 06-14-15, 11:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obturator
It would be nice if the salesperson took some time to go over certain features of a car (like windshield wipers in snow mode in the GS or this lever in the Corvette) before delivering it to the customer--just sayin'.
Why do you assume he bought if from a dealer?
Old 06-14-15, 12:08 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why do you assume he bought if from a dealer?
Didn't assume it was from a dealer... That's why I wrote salesperson. You would think that one should know a little about the product they are selling. Unfortunately, this is not the case...the majority of the time, I might add.
Old 06-14-15, 01:34 PM
antonios32
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"he left his phone at the Waffle House"
Old 06-14-15, 02:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obturator
Didn't assume it was from a dealer... That's why I wrote salesperson. You would think that one should know a little about the product they are selling. Unfortunately, this is not the case...the majority of the time, I might add.
I don't see a private seller walking the buyer through all the car features, personally. Nor as a buyer, would I want to hang around to have someone school me on the features either.
Old 06-14-15, 02:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

that handle would be impossible to see when you are sitting in the car with doors close... you could feel it probably, but the guy was 72, heat was probably crazy and panic likely finished it off.... lots of bad circumstances.

Thing is, it is a poorly designed door though... there is no reason for this to be electronically operated.
Old 06-14-15, 04:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-14-15 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Man and dog trapped in 2007 Corvette die.