Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man and dog trapped in 2007 Corvette die.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 09:06 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Man and dog trapped in 2007 Corvette die.

http://m.wpxi.com/news/news/national/texas-man-dog-trapped-corvette-die-heat-exhaustion/nmbBP/

Sucks to hear people still getting trapped in their cars... Anyone who owns a 2007 corvette, please chime in.
Old 06-12-15, 09:15 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's pretty sad that he didn't just use the levers that are specifically designed to open the door if the power cuts off. They're at the bottom of the door sill, with fairly clear illustrations. He could have also removed the top that comes off. There's one lever by your head that he could have even cracked if he couldn't find the two remaining levers under the sun-visors. There's also a manual release for the driver's door in the hatch area. Also labeled. Or he could have just tried breaking a window.

It is tragic that he died, but you'd need to IQ of a rock to actually get stuck in the car.
Old 06-12-15, 09:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"his recently purchased 2007 Corvette"
Old 06-12-15, 10:05 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
"his recently purchased 2007 Corvette"
It doesn't define recently. He could have purchased it six months ago for all we know. And these were things I knew about on day one of purchase, so it really doesn't mean anything about when the car was purchased.
Not only that, but the rear release for the top is by your head. All you have to do is turn your head 90 degrees to the right and look up 15 degrees. It's not hidden, it's not complex. The remaining releases are under the sun visors. You grab them and they pivot until they're unlocked. Boom, you're free. As for the manual door release levers, looking around the car would lead to their discovery. They're not exactly hidden, either.

I stand by my statement that you would need the IQ of a rock or you just did not want to bother to escape to actually get stuck in the vehicle and die. This could be Darwin award material right here.
Old 06-12-15, 10:35 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel for his family, but there are options such as breaking the window...
Old 06-12-15, 10:35 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If it was a Z06 Corvette, the roof isn't removable.

Still the moron should have found those red handles on the floor that open the door with a cable release. Unless it was a suicide.
Old 06-12-15, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

He didn't have a cell phone where he could have dialed 911? Might have been embarrassing if he couldn't find the red handle, but it is better than perishing.

You just watch.....with today's mentality, there will probably be a lawsuit over this, but GM will probably win.
Old 06-12-15, 11:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Whatever the reason or excuse, I feel bad for the dog
Old 06-12-15, 11:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Whatever the reason or excuse, I feel bad for the dog
^^ This. It's not the dog's fault, they (generally) don't get to pick their owners. This one apparently was unlucky enough to be trapped with an owner that can operate a clutch pedal, but can't find a 4" long lever with red iconography in an obvious and clearly visible location.
Old 06-12-15, 02:05 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet you the dog figured it out and is sniffing at it all day long but the dumb guy couldn't put one and one together.
Old 06-12-15, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
^^ This. It's not the dog's fault, they (generally) don't get to pick their owners. This one apparently was unlucky enough to be trapped with an owner that can operate a clutch pedal, but can't find a 4" long lever with red iconography in an obvious and clearly visible location.
???

A number of Corvettes are sold with automatics.
Old 06-12-15, 02:36 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the rest of the story:

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/texas/2015/06/10/texas-man-dog-die-after-being-trapped-in-corvette/70999112/

Apparently, it's not an isolated incident with these corvettes. I have limited experiences with the Vette so I don't know.
Old 06-12-15, 02:44 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If it was a Z06 Corvette, the roof isn't removable.

Still the moron should have found those red handles on the floor that open the door with a cable release. Unless it was a suicide.
Picture shows it's not a Z06. But it still has levers on the floor. AND A REMOVABLE TOP THAT COULD BE FIGURED OUT BY EVEN THE DOG.

"Rogers' daughter Tricia Hernandez says her it's heartbreaking that his dream car ended up taking his life."
No, it was being stupid, being suicidal, or being someone that wasn't fit to operate a vehicle that ended his life.

Last edited by NickTee; 06-12-15 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-13-15, 12:43 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C6 Corvettes come with electronic locks. There are no lock switches so in cause the batteries go out, there is a release lever on both driver and passenger sides. When I bought my vette I didn't know what those lever was for until I looked it up and glad that I did. If the battery dies while you're on the outside, there's a built in key in the key fob on the later year vettes and you can use it to open the rear trunk and pull the lever to open the door.

Honestly, I don't think the owner knew about these features when he purchased his vette.
Old 06-13-15, 04:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
???

A number of Corvettes are sold with automatics.
Earlier reports were that it was a Z06, which was 6MT-only from its introduction in the C5. Looks like they did add an automatic to the C6 at some point, though I'm not sure when.

Regardless, that bit is moot, as NickTee points out, it was in fact NOT a Z06. But my main point still stands: the levers are blindingly obvious. As are the ones for the roof. Poor dog.

Last edited by geko29; 06-13-15 at 05:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Man and dog trapped in 2007 Corvette die.