Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So, what types of NEW cars are young adults buying/getting nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 08:03 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default So, what types of NEW cars are young adults buying/getting nowadays?

SCENARIO: Typical 18-24 year old needs a car.

Most likely, this individual has a job that pays for basic necessities, but pretty much living paycheck to paycheck. Has enough good credit to puchase a new car on their own. Has enough knowledge (thank you internet) about what's out there, but as much as they want the fastest car from a luxury brand, they're more concerned about technology (phone connectivity, sound system) and cost savings (fuel efficiency, low insurance premiums, little/no maintenance costs).

Initial reliability may be considered, but this is not a long term car, and will most likely be upgraded in the future, perhaps to something more family appropriate, but for now, a little frivolous ride would be more appropriate.

And then consider this: do sales figures match the needs/wants of this target market?

DISCUSS.
Old 06-10-15, 08:16 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WRX, GTI, Focus/Fiesta ST and Civic Si.
Old 06-10-15, 09:02 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

when i was in that demographic i got an accord coupe. it fulfilled my needs wondefully
Old 06-10-15, 09:51 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
WRX, GTI, Focus/Fiesta ST and Civic Si.
These kids must have rich parents then.
Old 06-10-15, 10:55 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scion tC, GTI/GLI (may end up with a Golf/Jetta 1.8 TSI since it's cheaper), Mazda3, Civic coupe.

But if they're just starting out, it's more likely a subcompact or basic compact under Cdn $20,000.
Old 06-10-15, 11:38 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My only friend that bought a NEW car bought an FRS.

I think most are looking at older used cars so they can get a "better" car for the money.
Old 06-10-15, 12:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I want to know what 18-24 year old is buying a new car without mommy and daddy's $$$$. Maybe the question should be what is the age 25-32ish buyer getting now days, now that they're out of college and in an established job.

If you ask me they're buying Suburu Forresters, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, maybe leasing something more expensive like a BMW 328i or X3.
Old 06-10-15, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Lexus IS, for one, like lower-cost versions of the BMW 3-series, seems to be quite popular with young adults as a new car. I was somewhat of an exception, as I owned an IS300 when I was 50, but in most cases, the average male IS owner seems to be some 20-25 years young than I was. The IS250AWD, in my area (D.C.suburbs) seems to be extremely popular with younger females...and a number of not-so-young ones.
Old 06-10-15, 04:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think we've reached the point that they're not buying cars, but buying driving appliances.
Old 06-10-15, 05:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a Honda Accord SE.
Old 06-10-15, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think we've reached the point that they're not buying cars, but buying driving appliances.
Well, many high school kids today actually show little interest in driving, period. They are so wrapped up in their cell-phones, textng, I-Pods, MP-3, downloading music, etc......that they are content to just sit in the back seat of Mom's minivan and get driven wherever they need to go. In my days in high school, that would have been unthinkable....one would have been laughed right out the front door. Most of us, back then, especially in the Great Age of American Muscle Cars when I went to high school, couldn't wait to get our licenses. Unfortunately, a number of us back then, when we DID get our licenses, drove like idiots (and, yes, there were some casualties) Me and my closest friend were two of the exceptions....we loved cars and driving (and once in a while did something not too smart), but generally drove with common sense.
Old 06-10-15, 06:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I see a ton of Camaros and WRXs driven by young people around NYC.

The ones that got money drive 3/4 series or C class.
Old 06-10-15, 07:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Even worse, just buying devices so they can live in the virtual world and not have to venture out onto the roads...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...y-cars/255001/
Old 06-10-15, 07:52 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a Honda CR-V living in New York need that AWD , not fast not slow, but comfortable enough to get me to work and have decent cargo space to haul stuff for work sometimes. Could have got a CPO IS 250/350 but would rather stick to new on my budget for now, had a bad experience on a used automobile previously before it, more than happy with it plus it's 22-24 MPG around town.
Old 06-10-15, 08:23 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I want to know what 18-24 year old is buying a new car without mommy and daddy's $$$$. Maybe the question should be what is the age 25-32ish buyer getting now days, now that they're out of college and in an established job.

If you ask me they're buying Suburu Forresters, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, maybe leasing something more expensive like a BMW 328i or X3.
Kids of that age bracket are not buying cars, they're financing Hyundai elantras and ford fiestas, the occasional Yaris and Chevy sonics , etc.

Kids are F***ing stupid, I got my SC400 at 19, and the thing was 12,000. I bought it in cash but they could have done a 3-5 year finance if I needed it.

Kids go to a dealership (mistake 1) and fall under the spell of the "shiny new car" and before you know it, they're begging to sign on the dotted line, for whatever price the salesman says it is.

Kids are stupid.

Quick Reply: So, what types of NEW cars are young adults buying/getting nowadays?