Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So, what types of NEW cars are young adults buying/getting nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 04:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this post and philips are great example that personal experience does not matter much :-).

Scion has lowest buyer age in the industry.
ha scion only sold 4806 vehicles last month, just 2% of toyota/lexus total so not much of a factor in anything. but because they're cheap i guess that's the appeal (new car smell, warranty, plus great reliability, etc.) for people on limited budget.
Old 06-13-15, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha scion only sold 4806 vehicles last month, just 2% of toyota/lexus total so not much of a factor in anything. but because they're cheap i guess that's the appeal (new car smell, warranty, plus great reliability, etc.) for people on limited budget.
If price were the only issue, though, we might also be including other low-priced entry-level vehicles from Kia, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Ford, and Nissan. Scion is not the only manufacturer producing vehicles in this price segment.

One factor, though, that some people may be overlooking, that has traditionally worked in Scion's favor (though it might not apply as much today with decreasing sales), is the company's list-price, no-haggle deals, which not only make the car-buying experience easier and less-stressful for young people who either don't know how to bargain or otherwise don't want to. That was a market that Saturn first tapped into when they came on the scene in 1990, and was wildly successful in that decade. Now, though, other dealerships have caught up, to some extent, by offering Internet-discount no-haggle deals (with a little more, sometimes for an added service/maintenance-package (if not already free maintenance from the manufacturer). I like that discount no-haggle system....the customer gets a discount, the dealership gets a reasonable profit (otherwise they probably wouldn't advertise the price), it saves time on both sides both in negotiating both price and, if needed, financing, and customers usually have less stress.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-13-15, 10:10 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Then you get companies like Carmax who price many of their cars absurdly high and state that they're "No-haggle."
Old 06-14-15, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Then you get companies like Carmax who price many of their cars absurdly high and state that they're "No-haggle."
Car Max prices aren't really that high. They just don't sell a lot of cheap junk....the credibility of their business is at stake.
Old 06-14-15, 08:08 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Sorry guys, I hate to be a Debbie downer, but paying upwards of 23,000+ for an entry level car borders on insanity. It's pure stupidity of finance and economics.

I bought my 92 SC400 in near mint condition with 49,000 miles on the clock for all of $12,000...
And I just bought a 2002 SC430 last year also in near mint condition with 47k on the odometer for just $17,000.

There is nothing you can buy new in the 20-30,000 range that comes close to that.
Topic says NEW CARS...