Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So, what types of NEW cars are young adults buying/getting nowadays?

Old 06-10-15, 10:02 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, many high school kids today actually show little interest in driving, period. They are so wrapped up in their cell-phones, textng, I-Pods, MP-3, downloading music, etc......that they are content to just sit in the back seat of Mom's minivan and get driven wherever they need to go. In my days in high school, that would have been unthinkable....one would have been laughed right out the front door. Most of us, back then, especially in the Great Age of American Muscle Cars when I went to high school, couldn't wait to get our licenses. Unfortunately, a number of us back then, when we DID get our licenses, drove like idiots (and, yes, there were some casualties) Me and my closest friend were two of the exceptions....we loved cars and driving (and once in a while did something not too smart), but generally drove with common sense.
+1 That's my understanding of the market right now. HS kids, unless they are blessed with generous or guilty parents are not buying cars, certainly not new ones, but would rather have the latest phone, tablet, and other technology. They'll even bum a ride with the parents rather than deplete their phone budget. Evidently smartphones and other gadgets are replacing automobiles as teen status items.
Old 06-10-15, 10:06 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I was in that age range I didn't buy a new car. I paid $6K for a 97 V8 Dakota sport from the chevy dealership I worked at as a driver during college. The $6k included a two thousand dollar extended warranty they gave me for $800, which I used to put about $1500 worth of repairs into in the first couple months. Once those repairs were done she drove like a champ (except for drinking gas) for 2 years till it was totaled when some ******* hit my sister when she borrowed it.
Old 06-11-15, 12:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

So many variables to the equation. One that pops up often for that age range is what mom and dad contribute for high school graduation, college graduation, birthdays, and Christmas. If the parents have spendable money, they often contribute to their kid's car buying purchase.

I live near two high schools and one major university. The younger have the compact Hondas, Hyundais, Nissans, Toyotas, VW's, Kias, and Scions. These are all modern, affordable, and efficient cars. College students also drive those, but then there's a fair mix of Accords, Jettas, IS's, 3-series, C-classes, A4's, newer Mustangs, and newer Camaros. Not too a huge amount of SUV's or trucks for these two groups. Those are still mostly a parent thing. Some exceptions would be the high school son who inherits the father's pickup or the mom's Suburban or Explorer.

Great post and subject. I hope car companies study this exact thing in person and not rely solely on clinics and numbers.

And yes, there is a large downturn in kids wanting to drive or driving right when they turn the legal age. Times have changed and being connected to the outside world is achieved through electronic devices.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-11-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, many high school kids today actually show little interest in driving, period. They are so wrapped up in their cell-phones, textng, I-Pods, MP-3, downloading music, etc......that they are content to just sit in the back seat of Mom's minivan and get driven wherever they need to go.
what do you base this on? while they may love their phones and video games a lot, from my experience just about every teenager wants their license asap and a car asap. they do not want to depend on "mom's minivan" (and you're usually one to reject stereotypes).
Old 06-11-15, 06:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
SCENARIO: Typical 18-24 year old needs a car.

Most likely, this individual has a job that pays for basic necessities, but pretty much living paycheck to paycheck. Has enough good credit to puchase a new car on their own. Has enough knowledge (thank you internet) about what's out there, but as much as they want the fastest car from a luxury brand, they're more concerned about technology (phone connectivity, sound system) and cost savings (fuel efficiency, low insurance premiums, little/no maintenance costs).

Initial reliability may be considered, but this is not a long term car, and will most likely be upgraded in the future, perhaps to something more family appropriate, but for now, a little frivolous ride would be more appropriate.
glad you qualified it's about new cars for a young person working, not someone in college with a beater just to make it to class or a party or home to parents to do laundry.

as far as new cars, what i see is tons of civics, corollas, elantras, fortes, and more funky small 'box' cars like souls, fits, low end jeeps, etc. wealthier kids have a small bmw (1, 2), audi (3, 5), or mercedes (GLA, C).

the rest all have used, from real old beaters to pick up trucks, boring sedans, jeeps, suvs, etc.

And then consider this: do sales figures match the needs/wants of this target market?
not sure how you mean sales figures matching (it is what it is) - maybe you mean availability / selection, but anyway, most young working people can't afford a whole lot (between health insurance or co-pays, paying back student debt, and just living) but obviously those who decide to get a new vehicle have tons of choices and financing options.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-11-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-11-15, 06:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd guess that the desire for a car may be linked to the availability of alternate transportation. In the South, Midwest, and even the West Coast, no matter where you are, you're miles from where you want to be. We're kinda spread out around here, and public transit is minimal to non-existent. The car culture wasn't that strong in the Northeast, particularly in crowded urban areas. Public transit was cheap and readily available - but that didn't mean every teen didn't want a car - it was sorta the pinnacle of the social ziggurat; ownership of a car was a guarantee of feminine companionship.

Today, techno-toys have largely replaced cars in that position for a whole generation. While cars are still important, there are plenty of kids who buy (correction: whose parents buy) every new smartphone weeks before its introduction - secondary to a car. Maybe two or three times a year junior has to have a new phone - it's a status symbol . . . just like a muscle car was back in the day.

There may be an upside to all of this - with gas prices having all but eliminated cruising as a Friday night pastime, maybe texting and social media are a cheaper and safer alternative.
Old 06-11-15, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what do you base this on? while they may love their phones and video games a lot, from my experience just about every teenager wants their license asap and a car asap. they do not want to depend on "mom's minivan" (and you're usually one to reject stereotypes).
It's not a complete stereotype.,,,and I did not mean to portray it as such. But in my area, traffic is so dense that it even intimidates a lot of kids who don't want to fool with it (we have what is arguably the second-worst traffic in the country outside of SoCal). And not all areas of the country are like that by any means. But Soccer-Mom minivans and kid-chauffering have become pretty much a way of life around here. Bob (whose opinions I think quite highly of), apparantly notices the same thing in Houston..............

Originally Posted by Lil4X
+1 That's my understanding of the market right now. HS kids, unless they are blessed with generous or guilty parents are not buying cars, certainly not new ones, but would rather have the latest phone, tablet, and other technology. They'll even bum a ride with the parents rather than deplete their phone budget. Evidently smartphones and other gadgets are replacing automobiles as teen status items.
Old 06-11-15, 07:30 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I do not doubt that it also has to do with where and what jobs our young people work. My niece works as a bank teller (not a very good job for a university graduate) and would not drive if her father had not insisted on buying her my old 2010 Corolla. She does not even live very close to the bank branch where she works. She was commuting by bus before she got my old car.

Yet a young lady of my niece's age, who works as a project manager for my aerospace employer, drives a new MB CLA.

If we want our young people to be able to contribute to the economy, which includes the economic power to purchase (or lease) cars, we need to ensure they have good jobs. Unfortunately, too many are working at under-paying jobs as bank tellers or at other McJobs.
Old 06-11-15, 07:48 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
These kids must have rich parents then.
18-24 should be when people get themselves a job while living with parents. I don't see it's hard without having to any pay bill.
Old 06-11-15, 07:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure how you mean sales figures matching (it is what it is) - maybe you mean availability / selection, but anyway, most young working people can't afford a whole lot (between health insurance or co-pays, paying back student debt, and just living) but obviously those who decide to get a new vehicle have tons of choices and financing options.
I asked this question because this is a market (young adults that's just starting off) that is very complex to deal with. Currently, this modern market is highly opinionated, over-educated, under-paid, and quite demanding.

When I ask about sales figures, I am asking if auto manufacturers are doing their marketing correctly with sales to prove it.

For example, Scion caters as a youth brand, but it doesn't get the youth demographic. Somehow, the youth market ends up with Honda Fits and Toyota Corollas. Kia does a better job with hamsters.

It's challenging to determine how much of sales percentages are for this demographic, and if anyone is actually looking out for them. I think that if these young buyers purchase a car, a car manufacturer needs to provide something desirable (for cheap) to maintain brand loyalty. It helps ensure a brands evolution in the future.
Old 06-11-15, 07:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by cino
18-24 should be when people get themselves a job while living with parents. I don't see it's hard without having to any pay bill.
Not all households are privileged.

Some young people don't have the option to stay with parents because even older adults have a hard time caring for themselved nowadays. Most young people have to "pay rent" to their parents to stay; and one might choose to move out & pay extra to have their privacy and freedom.

God knows how much I'd suffer if I have to move back in with my parents.
Old 06-11-15, 07:54 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has mentioned the Mazda 3? You can get literally every option you'll find on an A4 or C-class or 3 series for $20-grand less (except for power, but the 184-hp I-4 is pretty solid).
Old 06-11-15, 07:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Infra
No one has mentioned the Mazda 3? You can get literally every option you'll find on an A4 or C-class or 3 series for $20-grand less (except for power, but the 184-hp I-4 is pretty solid).
The Mazda3 has become real pricey.

Base is $23k, but with options, most of the ones on a dealer's lot are $27k. Even with negotiating, it's in the mid $20k's. Add taxes, license, registration, and fees, and it's scratching $30k before financing. After 10% down, that could be about $500-600 a month for a five-year financing contract for a young buyer.
Old 06-11-15, 08:02 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not all households are privileged.

Some young people don't have the option to stay with parents because even older adults have a hard time caring for themselved nowadays. Most young people have to "pay rent" to their parents to stay; and one might choose to move out & pay extra to have their privacy and freedom.

God knows how much I'd suffer if I have to move back in with my parents.
Some people can't afford having their children, some people share bill payment with their children, and there are most young adults who choose to live by themselves or with roommate/s.

From financial stand point, I'd rather help paying bills and keep saving up. Though most young people could careless about saving, they want convenience.

My sister lives with me, and she helps paying the bills, get herself a brand new car. Not that hard as long as you compromise. There are always trade offs, do what makes you happy, I guess.
Old 06-11-15, 08:51 AM
hxcman56
Driver School Candidate

As a young person. the ability to have the higher end cars that our parents have is almost impossible because a good percentage of young adults right out of college aren't making enough to afford it... all of my friends (22-26) have 10 year old kias and suv's because they dont have the credit or money to afford 500-700 car payments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, what types of NEW cars are young adults buying/getting nowadays?