Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. 2016 Lexus IS300 and RC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 07:04 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
D4S plus detune... they have to make it cheaper if they wanted it to replace 2.5l price point... so it is not going to be same engine as 2GR-FSE.
Nope prob the 2GR-FE if its true but it produces 278hp in other applications. Wont be any savings in costs if its a simply detuning. It might actually increase cost if they have to redesign more restrictive intakes and exhausts to crimp output.

Still don't understand why they would use a high volume 2.0t engine and purposely make it low volume by making it RWD only. This thing will fly off the shelfs if it has AWD with the 2.0t. As demonstrated by the NX, it doesn't matter if it is just a 6speed.
Old 06-30-15, 03:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

IMO, I believe Lexus did not come out with an IS200t AWD due to design and risk in regards to engine orientation in the IS. I havent seen any pics of the IS200t engine bay, but I believe it may be in the conventional 4cyl RWD longitudinal orientation (i.e. ae86 4AGE). Pics of the NX 200t engine show that it is in the transversal orientation typical of FWD inline 4 cyl or mitsubishi evo (4 cyl turbo AWD) orientation. They may have performed risk analysis and deemed it easier to implement an AWD V6. It also appears that Lexus designed the NX from the ground up designed around the 200t in FWD & AWD applications. Compared that to the current IS, it was designed around the 250 and 350 V6 engines and the easiest way to include the 200t at this time was RWD. It also seems like a transversal oriented 200t AWD doesnt fit and if it did, there just may be too much testing involved at this time. Just my thoughts, but sounds easier said that done. Who knows, maybe we'll see inline 4 AWD options in the future...

Last edited by jadu; 06-30-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 03:50 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
IMO, I believe Lexus did not come out with an IS200t AWD due to design and risk in regards to engine orientation in the IS. I havent seen any pics of the IS200t engine bay, but I believe it may be in the conventional 4cyl RWD longitudinal orientation (i.e. ae86 4AGE).
This is the IS300h with a 2,5 liter 4 cyl engine. Placement and space should not differ much for the upcomning 200t.

Old 06-30-15, 04:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
This is the IS300h with a 2,5 liter 4 cyl engine. Placement and space should not differ much for the upcomning 200t.

thanks for the pic! i was looking for one. The placement is the same with it being in the front. Orientation appears to be the conventional RWD setup (longitudinal) differing 90 degrees compared to the NX200t engine orientation (transversal).

Old 06-30-15, 04:35 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup. Seems like 2.0t wasn't even on the roadmap when IS was in the making. Looks like they wanted that horrible 2.5 V6 to last for the whole gen before saying bye, bye. Thank god that didn't happen.
Old 06-30-15, 06:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Just goes to show how far behind Lexus is in engine development compared to Germans who are now on their 2nd and 3rd generation of FI engines in 4,6,and 8 cyl configurations.

How inefficient is to do a separate engine for AWD and one for RWD - very silly.
Old 06-30-15, 08:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
How inefficient is to do a separate engine for AWD and one for RWD - very silly.
thats pretty silly, if anything they should have more engines in their vehicles, not less. 3 series has 17 engines in Europe, and only 7 of those are available as AWD.
Old 06-30-15, 09:39 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just goes to show how far behind Lexus is in engine development compared to Germans who are now on their 2nd and 3rd generation of FI engines in 4,6,and 8 cyl configurations.

FI is not an exotic technology and Toyota is no stranger to it.
Old 07-01-15, 02:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

thats pretty silly, if anything they should have more engines in their vehicles, not less. 3 series has 17 engines in Europe, and only 7 of those are available as AWD.
And now imagine one 2.0 diesel from BMW in IS and what it would do for sales in EU. They are doing it in Avensis. If I had any decision power in L it would be so tempting even though it says you conceded to your major competitor.
Old 07-01-15, 02:48 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

I think its pretty good that they dont offer AWD on weaker cars since it does steal a lot of power, no matter what they say. I have testdriven both 320d GT and 520d with AWD and you literally hit a wall over 65-70 mph . Even more so for the quattro system, you really need power to make that car harmonious.
Old 07-01-15, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
And now imagine one 2.0 diesel from BMW in IS and what it would do for sales in EU. They are doing it in Avensis. If I had any decision power in L it would be so tempting even though it says you conceded to your major competitor.
there is nothing great about BMW diesels that go into Avensis... they are average.

And BMW - Toyota deal explicitly says no Lexus anyway.
Old 07-01-15, 06:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
FI is not an exotic technology and Toyota is no stranger to it.
Really?

So why are they 5-10yrs behind the Germans.
Lexus only has the 4cyl turbo now.
6 and 8 are few years away.

If its so easy to develop they would have done it much faster.

They focused way too much on Hybrids that dont sell.
Old 07-01-15, 07:36 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Really?

So why are they 5-10yrs behind the Germans.
Lexus only has the 4cyl turbo now.
6 and 8 are few years away.

If its so easy to develop they would have done it much faster.

They focused way too much on Hybrids that dont sell.
Because they design, engineer and build all their turbos in house unlike the Germans who outsource all their turbos.
Old 07-01-15, 07:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

there is nothing great about BMW diesels that go into Avensis... they are average.

And BMW - Toyota deal explicitly says no Lexus anyway.
No Lexus, well that makes sense from BMWs point of view. Average or not it would still sell more than petrol counterpart but since hybrid is the only plan so far I guess we will never see the diesel option in L again for at least another generation
Old 07-01-15, 07:58 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
No Lexus, well that makes sense from BMWs point of view. Average or not it would still sell more than petrol counterpart but since hybrid is the only plan so far I guess we will never see the diesel option in L again for at least another generation
Just like Subaru/Toyota deal on the twin. 2.0L FA20 was supposed to be a bespoke engine. Subaru learned how to implement DI after making FA20 D4S, they fit the very same engine with DI and Turbo making way more power with a lot of headroom. When they learn how to do it, they will do it on everything they possibly could. I'm not surprised of Subaru tried to DI their H6.

Quick Reply: U.S. 2016 Lexus IS300 and RC300?