Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. 2016 Lexus IS300 and RC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 06:59 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
3 engines for IS/RC makes sense.

200T is for enthusiasts with a budget who also wants decent MPG while enjoying the instant torque curve of the FI engine

300 is for the current 250 buyers, basically just want a daily diver with smooth V6, not really care about performance, hence the rumor of AWD only available on this trim, i see a lot of loaners will be made up by the 300 rwd trim

finally the IS350, it should be self explanatory, it's the top performance trim, i won't be surprised they squeeze out 10-20 hp out of the old and proven 3.5 mill
From what I got out of my conversation with the trainer, this is exactly the way Lexus is looking at the 3 engine lineup. I know Toyota/Lexus is all about keeping their average mpg up really high, but with these three engine choices they really need to shave off a few MPG's on the 3.5L in order to make a little more power. That engine can easily be made to put out 320HP or so with a slight sacrifice in gas mileage.
Old 06-17-15, 10:23 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
From what I got out of my conversation with the trainer, this is exactly the way Lexus is looking at the 3 engine lineup. I know Toyota/Lexus is all about keeping their average mpg up really high, but with these three engine choices they really need to shave off a few MPG's on the 3.5L in order to make a little more power. That engine can easily be made to put out 320HP or so with a slight sacrifice in gas mileage.
I'm just surprised that they did not even bother to apply Atkinson cycle to this 3.5L under lighter loads. That'll increase at least 2 MPGs right there and is not hard at all to retrofit into an existing engine. I thought they're doing this conversion across the board these days.

Stop being lazy Lexus!!
Old 06-17-15, 04:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I'm just surprised that they did not even bother to apply Atkinson cycle to this 3.5L under lighter loads. That'll increase at least 2 MPGs right there and is not hard at all to retrofit into an existing engine. I thought they're doing this conversion across the board these days.

Stop being lazy Lexus!!
says who? GR series is getting new tech like every other Toyota engine, they already announced it for Tacoma that is first one to come out with new GR.
Old 06-17-15, 07:52 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
says who? GR series is getting new tech like every other Toyota engine, they already announced it for Tacoma that is first one to come out with new GR.
The new V6 in the new Tacoma is a truck engine, producing a peak output of just 236hp. The engine in the new RX350 will be pushing 300hp, but is transversely mounted. It remains to be seen whether the one in the IS350 and RC350 gets any update at all, which, according to the Lexus trainer that 2GSKaizen talked to, doesn't sound promising, and hence my reaction above.
Old 06-17-15, 09:21 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The new V6 in the new Tacoma is a truck engine, producing a peak output of just 236hp. The engine in the new RX350 will be pushing 300hp, but is transversely mounted. It remains to be seen whether the one in the IS350 and RC350 gets any update at all, which, according to the Lexus trainer that 2GSKaizen talked to, doesn't sound promising, and hence my reaction above.
spwolf is referring to the refreshed 2016 Tacoma, for which power figures haven't been announced yet, but would be over the 236 of the current 2015, which debuted in 2005.
Old 06-17-15, 10:33 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
spwolf is referring to the refreshed 2016 Tacoma, for which power figures haven't been announced yet, but would be over the 236 of the current 2015, which debuted in 2005.
Ah, I read somewhere that it's going to output just 236hp but didn't realize that it's the spec of the current engine. I guess there's still hope that the engine in the new Tacoma will indeed be shared across the RWD models of Toyota/Lexus's lineup. It only makes sense that way. We shall see.
Old 06-18-15, 06:54 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
No kidding. If Lexus brought back the excellent 3.0 inline 6 from the 2GS and added turbos to it it would be outstanding.
That would be great news....
Old 06-18-15, 09:25 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah, I read somewhere that it's going to output just 236hp but didn't realize that it's the spec of the current engine. I guess there's still hope that the engine in the new Tacoma will indeed be shared across the RWD models of Toyota/Lexus's lineup. It only makes sense that way. We shall see.

The engine in the current Tacoma is the 1GR 4-litre V6 truck engine. The new 2016 Tacoma will have the 2GR 3.5-litre V6 (car) engine upgraded with all the latest technology (only the aluminum engine block is carried over from the original 2GR that was first introduced in 2005 but the moving bits are new).
Old 06-18-15, 09:30 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
That would be great news....

Won't happen. The old JZ inline-6 engines could not meet modern emissions standards and I6 engines are too long to fit in transverse-mounted (FWD) configuration.
Old 06-18-15, 10:12 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sulu
The engine in the current Tacoma is the 1GR 4-litre V6 truck engine. The new 2016 Tacoma will have the 2GR 3.5-litre V6 (car) engine upgraded with all the latest technology (only the aluminum engine block is carried over from the original 2GR that was first introduced in 2005 but the moving bits are new).
I heard a Toyota exec saying that the 3.5 V6 in the Tacoma is still a truck series engine and not an updated car engine like the 3.5 V6 found in the Camry. Of course all of this may just be semantics but Toyota has confirmed that new Tacoma will have an updated truck series engine
Old 06-18-15, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sorptd
I heard a Toyota exec saying that the 3.5 V6 in the Tacoma is still a truck series engine and not an updated car engine like the 3.5 V6 found in the Camry. Of course all of this may just be semantics but Toyota has confirmed that new Tacoma will have an updated truck series engine
urgh... i dont know what are people hearing from "exec" and "trainers"... this is not true.

Tacoma engine has been already announced.

The new Tacoma will be available with either a 4-cylinder … or an all-new Atkinson cycle V6 engine.

The 3.5-liter V6 ...is equipped with Toyota’s D-4S technology ... featuring both direct …and port fuel injection.

The V6 can be paired with a NEW 6-speed manual … or a NEW 6-speed automatic transmission … delivering quick shifts … with just a flick of the wrist.

While we don’t have power and MPG figures for you today …the math is simple.

Take a new Atkinson cycle engine …add in advanced direct and port fuel injection … and then pair it with a new 6-speed transmission … and you end up with the most powerful AND fuel efficient Tacoma ever!
It is still going to be modified for truck use... redline is lower and I guess that it will have more torque down below but maybe 10-20hp less hp up top, which really does not matter anyway.
Old 06-18-15, 12:58 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
urgh... i dont know what are people hearing from "exec" and "trainers"... this is not true.

Tacoma engine has been already announced.

It is still going to be modified for truck use... redline is lower and I guess that it will have more torque down below but maybe 10-20hp less hp up top, which really does not matter anyway.
It will most likely tuned for more tq, but Hp/tq figure will be up significantly from the previous engine. I have a high expectation for the new Tacoma engine.
Old 06-22-15, 10:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm loving all these choices for the RC:

RC200t (RWD 2.0L I4 turbo)
RC300 (AWD 3.0L V6)
RC350 (RWD 3.5L V6)
RC-F (RWD V8)
Old 06-22-15, 11:16 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I'm loving all these choices for the RC:

RC200t (RWD 2.0L I4 turbo)
RC300 (AWD 3.0L V6)
RC350 (RWD 3.5L V6)
RC-F (RWD V8)
But with how regional ordering usually works, where most regions in the midwest and east coast only order AWD variants, it would make it hard to find an RC350 in stock.

And if someone that previously bought an IS350 AWD or RC350 AWD comes back in for a new car, they'd be forced to settle for the 300 AWD... not really ideal in my opinion. Getting rid of 350 AWD variants seems like a step backward for now.
Old 06-22-15, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
But with how regional ordering usually works, where most regions in the midwest and east coast only order AWD variants, it would make it hard to find an RC350 in stock.

And if someone that previously bought an IS350 AWD or RC350 AWD comes back in for a new car, they'd be forced to settle for the 300 AWD... not really ideal in my opinion. Getting rid of 350 AWD variants seems like a step backward for now.
what engines they have for RC right now in those markets though?

Quick Reply: U.S. 2016 Lexus IS300 and RC300?