Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody on CL own or drive a new Honda HR-V?

Old 06-12-15, 01:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 154 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
So I called the Internet sales dept to make a deal on a Honda HRV EXL and the douche at the dealer wants $995 over MSRP. I laughed and told him it's a baby Honda and not a bmw i8 I am shopping for. I advised mom to wait a few months or just get the CRV. Kind of ****ty of them. I even offered full sticker and they still refused . Good luck if you want one for a deal . Just not going to happen
Sad, but not surprising. Simply a supply and demand situation for a hot, new product. There are likely people paying above sticker, hence him offering it to you that way. This will all dissipate in about three to five months.

This often happens with many new Honda releases. Every new Accord, Civic, and CRV that has come out has usually sold for sticker in the beginning. Honda and also Toyota have built such a reputation for themselves over the decades, it's quite the model of business in the business world.
Old 06-12-15, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for all the responses so far. Though today's vehicles are usually tested pretty thoroughly, the biggest concern my brother has with the HR-V is not the low power (though that could be an issue) but sitting right on top of the fuel tank. It probably is not a major concern, but I could see where it could make one nervous.
Old 06-12-15, 04:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

So I called the Internet sales dept to make a deal on a Honda HRV EXL and the douche at the dealer wants $995 over MSRP. I laughed and told him it's a baby Honda and not a bmw i8 I am shopping for. I advised mom to wait a few months or just get the CRV. Kind of ****ty of them. I even offered full sticker and they still refused . Good luck if you want one for a deal . Just not going to happen
not a 'douche' it's just supply and demand, doesn't matter if it's an i8 or whatever, if demand outstrips supply, expect to pay a premium.

now what you could do is go to truecar.com and get a quote. dealer may play some games with equipment, but you'll likely get it at least at list price. dealers hate truecar by the way.
Old 06-12-15, 05:39 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Is rogue too big? I think it's a really nice car. Or import a Qashqai
Old 06-13-15, 08:30 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Nissan builds junk. Have been for 10 years now, ever since Renault took a controlling interest. The Rogue has had issues with premature transmission failures, which is pretty much the case with all Nissans equipped with one of their CVT's.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/rogue-cvt...s-t563940.html
Old 06-13-15, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Nissan builds junk. Have been for 10 years now, ever since Renault took a controlling interest. The Rogue has had issues with premature transmission failures, which is pretty much the case with all Nissans equipped with one of their CVT's.
Nissan's first generation of CVTs had an extended warranty on them...........not sure about the second.
Old 06-13-15, 09:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

From their Owner Surveys, CR rates the transmission in the Rouge at "Well Above Average" for Predicted Reliability, for four model years '11-'14.
Old 06-13-15, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Nissan builds junk. Have been for 10 years now, ever since Renault took a controlling interest.
yeah of course nothing ever improves over time... if they were really 'junk' today as you claim, they wouldn't be doing so well.
Old 06-13-15, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah of course nothing ever improves over time... if they were really 'junk' today as you claim, they wouldn't be doing so well.
Part of that success seems to be that Nissan can undercut some rivals on pricing and deliver value. Consumer Reports doesn't characterize them as "junk" by any means, but does note that a number of Nissan products, by today's standards, don't quite match the reliability of, say, Honda or Toyota.
Old 06-13-15, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Consumer Reports doesn't characterize them as "junk" by any means, but does note that a number of Nissan products, by today's standards, don't quite match the reliability of, say, Honda or Toyota.
consumer reports doesn't believe anyone matches the reliability of toyota or honda. but they're right, but we don't need CR to tell us that.
Old 06-13-15, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
consumer reports doesn't believe anyone matches the reliability of toyota or honda. but they're right, but we don't need CR to tell us that.
That's generally true from a brand-wide point of view....though lately Porsche has also ranked very high in reliability. But they also single out individual models from each brand that have shown either exceptional reliability or exceptional unreliability. That's why they have a chart for each brand showing the most reliable model in that brand, the least-reliable, and the range in between. It is printed each year in the April Annual Car-Buying Issue. For Buick, for example, on the latest chart, the most reliable model is the Verano (though it doesn't say turbo or non-turbo), and the least-reliable is the 4-cylinder LaCrosse. For Honda, for example, the most reliable model is the CR-V, and the least, the Odyssey. For notoriously unreliable brands like Land Rover and Jaguar, none of their models in the range rank average or higher in reliability.
Old 06-14-15, 08:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Is rogue too big? I think it's a really nice car. Or import a Qashqai
I have family who works for Nissan Infiniti North America and I can get any Nissan with a VPP number ( means I get it at $1500 below invoice with no haggle. LOL the salesmen hate VPP customers ), but my mom s having ciatic pain from the side bolster of the seat and the Nissan's were just too sport for mom. Honda and toyota have almost flat seat bottoms
Old 06-14-15, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

but my mom s having ciatic pain from the side bolster of the seat and the Nissan's were just too sport for mom. Honda and toyota have almost flat seat bottoms
Sorry your mom has to go through that. Have her try and pillow on the seat.....even a large enough pillow to cover part or all of the side bolsters if necessary (leaving enough room for the seat belt buckle to properly latch).

I agree that the seat cushions on some lower-priced/entry-level Japanese and Korean-designed vehicles are not exactly living-room plush in softness. If she really can't stand the seats she has now, and still wants a small SUV with comfortable seats, have her check out a Buick Encore....Buicks have a reputation for cushy seats. The Encore is somewhat underpowered for my tastes, but she probably won't notice.