Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrids...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 11:16 AM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Hybrids...

I'm planning to get a hybrid for my next commute car, either a Honda Accord V6 Hybrid or the Camry Hybrid (both used). Anyone know much about the battery life/replacement/warranty/etc etc? and information would be appreciated, my first time buying a hybrid. I'm thinking long term. Thanks
Old 06-01-15, 11:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

From my recollection, the V6 Accord hybrid was a bit of a dud so I'd probably avoid it. The new system they have in the current gen is much better
Old 06-01-15, 12:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

You could add the Altima hybrid to you list
Old 06-01-15, 12:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The batteries are warranted for 8 years/100K miles, at least where I live. It may be different in Canada. Also, in colder climates, the batteries performance and lifespan is decreased. That being said, so many Toyota hybrid are used as taxi cabs and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles, so there is proven technology there
Old 06-01-15, 12:40 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

To the important point from RXSF I mentioned the Altima hybrid for the same reason, lots of them on the road in Chicago as Taxis
Old 06-01-15, 08:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
I'm planning to get a hybrid for my next commute car, either a Honda Accord V6 Hybrid or the Camry Hybrid (both used). Anyone know much about the battery life/replacement/warranty/etc etc? and information would be appreciated, my first time buying a hybrid. I'm thinking long term. Thanks

Excellent choice! But be forewarned that a hybrid uses much more fuel in the cold weather than the warm. My 2015 ESh averaged about 8L/100km (29 mpg) in the winter and about 6L/100km (39 mpg) now in the spring. But that is still at least equal to -- or better -- than my 2010 Corolla. A mid-/full-size car with the fuel consumption of a compact -- can't beat that!

Originally Posted by Allen K
From my recollection, the V6 Accord hybrid was a bit of a dud so I'd probably avoid it. The new system they have in the current gen is much better

Allen is right. The Accord V6 hybrid (2005-2007) was a no-seller, which explains why they sold no Accord hybrid for a number of years until now, with the new current-generation Accord (4-cylinder) Hybrid, which uses less fuel than the Camry Hybrid.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
You could add the Altima hybrid to you list

The Altima Hybrid (2007 to 2011) used the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive mated to a Nissan 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. But why not get the real deal and go with the Camry Hybrid?

Originally Posted by RXSF
The batteries are warranted for 8 years/100K miles, at least where I live. It may be different in Canada. Also, in colder climates, the batteries performance and lifespan is decreased. That being said, so many Toyota hybrid are used as taxi cabs and have racked up hundreds of thousands of miles, so there is proven technology there

Warranty on Toyota and Lexus hybrid-related components, including the hybrid battery, is 8 years / 160,000km (100,000 miles), which is the same in Canada and the USA, then. Toyota's hybrid cars are known to be very reliable and the battery should give you no problem. If you are in the Toronto area, you see a lot of Camry Hybrid taxis (and even ESh airport limos). But you can't beat Vancouver, where it seems that just about all taxis are Prius models.

You know what they say about taxis -- they have to be reliable vehicles. So if the Prius (or Camry Hybrid) can make it as a taxi, they must be great vehicles.
Old 06-01-15, 08:31 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There are also lots more secondhand and rebuilt parts for Toyota hybrids compared to other brands. What model year is the Camry hybrid you're looking at? I'd go with that for reliability and fuel saving reasons compared to the old Accord Hybrid. That was more of a performance hybrid compared to the latest 2-motor, 4-cylinder Accord hybrid which easily gets 50 mpg in town.
Old 06-01-15, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are going to look at Camry and Accord Hybrids, definitely check out the Kia Optima Hybrid. It starts at just under 26K, and the Optima is an excellent mid-sized sedan. I don't think you will be disappointed.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/opt...ce?story=hello

Old 06-02-15, 03:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Before making any purchase, be sure to calculate your hybrid fuel savings vs. buying a non-hybrid. From the reports I've read in most magazines, it usually takes about five years or longer to recoup the extra money you spent paying for the more expensive hybrid model vs. the non-hybrid.
Old 06-02-15, 05:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
Accord Hybrid was pretty bad... Camry Hybrid is reliable.

Maybe check some other hybrids as well, but check their reliability - koreans had a lot of issues with their hybrid systems...
Old 06-02-15, 05:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Before making any purchase, be sure to calculate your hybrid fuel savings vs. buying a non-hybrid. From the reports I've read in most magazines, it usually takes about five years or longer to recoup the extra money you spent paying for the more expensive hybrid model vs. the non-hybrid.
That is not a valid reason. Not all people buy hybrid cars because they think they can save money over the short term. If I had done that, I would not have stepped up from a Corolla to an ES Hybrid which costs twice as much as the Corolla, yet only gets Corolla-like fuel economy. I realise the fact that I will not make back the extra money I spent for quite some time (perhaps never, since I leased).

Yet, I am satisfied knowing that I am using only as much fuel as my old Corolla for a much larger, much nicer car. It is particularly satisfying to know that when I am in stop-and-go commuting traffic, that my engine is off and running on battery power only, when most everyone else on the road (aside from the Camry Hybrid taxi and ES Hybrid airport limo) is contributing to the dreadful state of our local air pollution.

Buy the car that you want. If everyone crunched the numbers, Toyota would sell no Lexus models because Toyota has equivalent-sized cars that cost (much) less.
Old 06-02-15, 06:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

friend picked up a 08 prius with 273k miles on it for dirt cheap, still runs great
Old 06-02-15, 08:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
friend picked up a 08 prius with 273k miles on it for dirt cheap, still runs great
yeah but it's still a prius
Old 06-02-15, 09:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is not a valid reason. Not all people buy hybrid cars because they think they can save money over the short term. If I had done that, I would not have stepped up from a Corolla to an ES Hybrid which costs twice as much as the Corolla, yet only gets Corolla-like fuel economy. I realise the fact that I will not make back the extra money I spent for quite some time (perhaps never, since I leased).

Yet, I am satisfied knowing that I am using only as much fuel as my old Corolla for a much larger, much nicer car. It is particularly satisfying to know that when I am in stop-and-go commuting traffic, that my engine is off and running on battery power only, when most everyone else on the road (aside from the Camry Hybrid taxi and ES Hybrid airport limo) is contributing to the dreadful state of our local air pollution.

Buy the car that you want. If everyone crunched the numbers, Toyota would sell no Lexus models because Toyota has equivalent-sized cars that cost (much) less.
From what the OP listed, it sounds like he is most concerned about money-related issues. Hence my comment relating to value.
Old 06-03-15, 04:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah but it's still a prius
hey man, I loved my Prius... it is eco/tech car equivalent of sports car.

Quick Reply: Hybrids...