Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'm looking forward to some better styling

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 03:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-re...ely-1707345719

This article sums up my thoughts nicely.
I could not disagree more with this diagram. The above model's rumps are some of the cleanest, smoothest, most modern looks to surface in a long time. Special standouts include the A3, IS, and Avalon. All are very agreeable and do not offend with any crazy lines that strain the mind or eye. The average driver does not want a freakshow for styling. Audi and Lexus have a nice combo of clean body designs, enhanced by some excitement with the grille. I think that is very fair when all added up, and it seems both brands are selling well to the point styling can be said to be successful.
Old 06-04-15, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I could not disagree more with this diagram. The above model's rumps are some of the cleanest, smoothest, most modern looks to surface in a long time.
I don't necessarily mean to speak for venom21, but what I think he meant by that diagram was not that those rear ends were all ugly or an eyesore, but that they basically just all looked alike.....which I agree.

Old 06-04-15, 03:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm not really seeing how all of those have similar looking tails. For example, I fail to see how an IS (number 5 in the pic) looks like a Mazda 3 i Touring (number 9):
Attached Thumbnails I'm looking forward to some better styling-mazda_3_2014_-4.jpg   I'm looking forward to some better styling-002-2014-lexus-is-250-f-sport-quick-spin-1.jpg  
Old 06-04-15, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not really seeing how all of those have similar looking tails. For example, I fail to see how an IS (number 5 in the pic) looks like a Mazda 3 i Touring (number 9):
Except for the sedan trunk/hatchback lids, to me, they all have the same general pattern, with minor differences. I think that's what venom21 was getting at.
Old 06-04-15, 04:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except for the sedan trunk/hatchback lids, to me, they all have the same general pattern, with minor differences. I think that's what venom21 was getting at.
Agree to disagree, I guess.
Old 06-04-15, 06:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my eyes, all those cars look completely different. Do we forget that up through the '80's, almost all headlights and taillights were basic rectangles or circles? We are now in an age where any conceivable shape can be applied but designers use some restraint for practical reasons.

One must remember that designers are restricted to a basic pattern when designing a car. Whether it is to adhere to laws, which there are many, or just basic practical reasons like trunk space, etc. Looking at the rear end sedan example, a designer must have taillights at each corner with the option of having one continuous strip across the back. They must also be a within a certain height by law. The designer must also incorporate the license plate area, also within certain heights. The designer must design a bumper that meets all safety regulations that again is restricted by height. With all this in place, you are going to fall within that basic shape pattern. It's inevitable.

And of coarse there's the other considerations. Remember that conservative cars historically, have been among the best selling. Those conservative cars also age the best. The most radical designs often suffer on sales lots and look stupid in 8 + years.
Old 06-04-15, 07:36 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They made the KIA Soul, there's your different car.
Old 06-05-15, 08:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not really seeing how all of those have similar looking tails.
Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
In my eyes, all those cars look completely different.
It's not the look. It's about the proportion.

The cars noted have similar proportions, which makes it conform to a standard mold.

Design creates distinction.
Old 06-05-15, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NickTee
They made the KIA Soul, there's your different car.
...............and the Soul, like the 1Gen Scion xB, is the very definition of automotive space efficiency. One local Kia shop tells me that fully half of its sales are Souls.
Old 06-05-15, 04:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's not the look. It's about the proportion.

The cars noted have similar proportions, which makes it conform to a standard mold.

Design creates distinction.
Which was my point in the whole post. When you're designing a sedan, the overall proportions almost have to fit this standard mold. You have a trunk that can only be so high and so low. Lights that have to conform to regulations. A license plate cut out. Bumper that meets safety regulations.

This all means same basic layout with only relatively small shape distinctions. Only different body styles that have different purposes can truly break out of that mold.
Old 06-05-15, 04:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The overall basic look is certainly the same.
They only differ in the details.

Those rabbits basically look the same.
However in detail, some rabbits are fatter than others, and some have pinkish ears, while others have greyish ears etc..
Old 06-05-15, 07:33 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am tired of seeing grilles big enough for a couple slabs of ribs lol Seriously the entire front end of newer cars is a big grille

The back end design has also gotten out of hand. Audi and Lexus had that design going and in transferred to Hyundai immediately and Toyota, Honda, etc.
Old 06-05-15, 08:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Megafast13
I am tired of seeing grilles big enough for a couple slabs of ribs lol Seriously the entire front end of newer cars is a big grille

The back end design has also gotten out of hand. Audi and Lexus had that design going and in transferred to Hyundai immediately and Toyota, Honda, etc.
Big grills do look more modern. Cars with small grills (go check out the '90's) look so outdated now. They look weak. The large grills add boldness, presence, and better distinction. Not saying all these grills look great, but when done right, they look nice. Think about it, these grills now replace what was plain protruding bumpers.
Old 06-05-15, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Big grills do look more modern. Cars with small grills (go check out the '90's) look so outdated now. They look weak. The large grills add boldness, presence, and better distinction.
You may call smaller grilles weak or outdated. Others (including me) simply call them not outlandish.

Think about it, these grills now replace what was plain protruding bumpers.
Bumpers, though, by Federal standard, at least protect the front of the car below 2.5 MPH.....grilles don't.
Old 06-05-15, 08:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Remember when so many cars just had a generic little grill like below's example? I don't think we want to go back to that.

Quick Reply: I'm looking forward to some better styling