Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus needs to step up their light game

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 11:04 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. They need a "signature" light. I know when a BMW comes up behind me with their distinctive inside 3/4 light and full halo light next to it. For awhile this was also the case with CHP and their Crown Victorias.
Old 05-29-15, 02:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't see what the complaint is. Lexus has locked in their unique, signature LED headlight for several years with the Nike swoosh. If that isn't stylish or memorable, I don't know what is. All models come standard with that, and the newly minted, separated version is about to hit the GS, ES, and RX. There's also LED fogs to be had with the NX and RC, and all taillights on all models have been LED's for a few years. New light tubes are neat, but I wouldn't say that makes it or breaks it. If there is one spot lagging, it is the non-LED turn signals.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-29-15 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 03:09 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LX 570 also has LED fog lights from MY2014+ . Not sure if the US VERSION does though...
Old 05-29-15, 06:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't see what the complaint is. Lexus has locked in their unique, signature LED headlight for several years with the Nike swoosh. If that isn't stylish or memorable, I don't know what is. All models come standard with that, and the newly minted, separated version is about to hit the GS, ES, and RX.
The ES and RX are keeping their LED DRLs in the main light housing, not separated like GS/IS/RC.

There's also LED fogs to be had with the NX and RC, and all taillights on all models have been LED's for a few years.
The IS and RX also have LED fogs.

New light tubes are neat, but I wouldn't say that makes it or breaks it. If there is one spot lagging, it is the non-LED turn signals.
Agreed.
Old 05-29-15, 10:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see what the complaint is
Don't worry, it's just the OP's subjective opinion. Lexus has very distinctive lights as SNiiP3R points out, especially LED headlamps and DRLs/seperate housing. OP doesn't like the HID Projector. Lighting is not completely uniform but then no automaker really is. Many European market luxury makes are often equipped with halogens or projectors themselves. The picture posted of the Mercedes is mostly PR, as spwolf mentions.
Old 05-29-15, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The ES and RX are keeping their LED DRLs in the main light housing, not separated like GS/IS/RC.
True, though It should be noted the Chinese market ES (and likely our ES) DRL protrudes from the main housing now

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-29-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-29-15, 02:40 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is one spot lagging, it is the non-LED turn signals.
It's amazing to me that almost everything on the RC-F is LED except for the rear turn signals when even low end cars are coming with them.
Old 05-29-15, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True, though It should be noted the Chinese market ES (and likely our ES) DRL protrudes from the main housing now

yep.. and a lot... looks cool.

I dont think Lexus wants to make it all look the same, they will adapt light design to the design of the vehicle, as RX and ES show. Same goes for interiors - it looks like Lexus design, but it is not mirrored across the lineup... each car gets unique treatment, which IMHO is great, because you can switch between RX and NX for instance, and feel like you are in completely new vehicle... or GS... or IS... they all feel very different even if they operate in the same way.
Old 05-29-15, 03:36 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget the LEDs, lasers are the future:

Old 05-29-15, 05:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't see what the complaint is. Lexus has locked in their unique, signature LED headlight for several years with the Nike swoosh. If that isn't stylish or memorable, I don't know what is. All models come standard with that, and the newly minted, separated version is about to hit the GS, ES, and RX. There's also LED fogs to be had with the NX and RC, and all taillights on all models have been LED's for a few years. N\ew light tubes are neat, but I wouldn't say that makes it or breaks it. If there is one spot lagging, it is the non-LED turn signals.
I dont think the OP is referring to the DRLs per se, but the headlight as a whole, including the actual headlight bulb design
Old 05-30-15, 09:20 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

What's maddening for me is how inconsistent Lexus can be with their lighting choices. It's like they're pulling parts out of a bargain bin instead of creating a coherent look. Why else would the RC and NX have LED turn signals up front and in the side mirrors but with bulbs out back? If it's about reliability, then why not use bulbs for all signal lights?

I appreciate Audi and VW's design consistency - all their latest models have LED rear lights and LED turn signals all around, even if base variants come with only halogens. The crisp on/off pattern from signal LEDs looks so much better.

As for rear lights, I prefer light tubes at night instead of the bare single LEDs that Lexus uses. The C-class rear looks gorgeous at night with the twin tubes. Heck, even the Honda HRV's sharp line of rear LEDs looks a lot more distinctive than the NX's.
Old 05-30-15, 10:35 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ Also, Lexus is only now moving towards using more LEDs and they are using "individual" LED bulbs which were so 10 years ago. They need to step up their game on tubes, like you say.
Old 05-30-15, 12:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

love my jeep grand cherokee lights.

http://www.jeep.com/en/grand-cherokee/exterior/
Old 05-30-15, 12:45 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd rather see Lexus update the engines than lights.
Old 05-30-15, 12:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I'd rather see Lexus update the engines than lights.
+1. I would also rather see them update the transmissions as well so that 6 speeds are not the norm or new on cars like the NX.

Quick Reply: Lexus needs to step up their light game