Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus needs to step up their light game

Old 05-28-15, 01:56 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lexus needs to step up their light game

Lexus is really lacking in the light department imo, don't even know if its just a opinion at this point. most people don't realize this or care but i do lol

Every other manufacturer in its class has superior lights. MBZ/Audi are absolutely killing the light game right now, Porsche and BMW aren't far behind. Lexus though is stuck in 2000s. Only Lexus car that has modern appropriate lights is the LS.

I mean just look at these pictures and pay attention to the lights

Both are 4GS but still, if you cant see the headlight difference between these two...
Old 05-28-15, 02:24 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 05-28-15, 02:25 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Not just the front but the rears and signals. The C-class has gorgeous fluted LED light pipes for the rears and LED turn signals all around. The IS, ES and GS are missing all that. And which idiot put LED signals on the front of the NX but used bulbs on the rear?
Old 05-28-15, 03:35 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
Not just the front but the rears and signals. The C-class has gorgeous fluted LED light pipes for the rears and LED turn signals all around. The IS, ES and GS are missing all that. And which idiot put LED signals on the front of the NX but used bulbs on the rear?
Yeah obviously, forgot to touch up on that in OP. Every existing lexus car besides the LS (don't know about the RC F) has ****ty lights.
Old 05-28-15, 03:36 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

These are nice and whats to be expected, but again none of the current lexus cars AFAIC have these, only the expensive models like the LS and RC F do.

20k dodge cars have nicer lights then 60k GS
Old 05-28-15, 05:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

NX has the triple LED headlights as an option and they should be making their way down the model lineup when full updates come along. Definitely slow updates though
Old 05-28-15, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
These are nice and whats to be expected, but again none of the current lexus cars AFAIC have these, only the expensive models like the LS and RC F do.

20k dodge cars have nicer lights then 60k GS
what $20k Mercedes has these fancy lights? In fact, here in Europe, new MB C class comes standard wit halogen lights with no projector, like old Yaris, where IS comes with standard xenons...
Old 05-28-15, 08:14 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

It was always strange to me that the E class comes standard with LED headlights but not in projector style lamps, just the halogen housing.

Anywhoo, when you really option of the MBs, their lights really are beautiful, and the new multibeam lights on the CLS are really killer. In Europe, when the fluted LED tubes in the front "eyebrow" light up upon approach, they are deep blue/purple in color and then turn white. In the US, we don't get that
Old 05-28-15, 08:48 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well on my 2015 Land Cruiser my low beams are LED however my high beams are halogen.
Previously 2012-2013-2014 It was xenon hid for low beams ( LED DRL ) and when you had the high beams on the low beams would increase as well. Not the case anymore after they became LED. Externally the headlight looks exactly the same but when you switch the lights on that is when you notice the difference....Just thought i should share this.
Old 05-28-15, 09:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In their sales information, Audi makes a big point about their lighting technology and appearance. Not that it makes for better vehicles, but it does resonate with consumers these days.
Old 05-28-15, 05:54 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
what $20k Mercedes has these fancy lights? In fact, here in Europe, new MB C class comes standard wit halogen lights with no projector, like old Yaris, where IS comes with standard xenons...
CLA has nicer lights then the GS
Old 05-28-15, 05:56 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In their sales information, Audi makes a big point about their lighting technology and appearance. Not that it makes for better vehicles, but it does resonate with consumers these days.
Yeah audi really wants customers to notice and appreciate the lights on their cars and rightfully so

lexus smh idk wtf they're doing with their lights. Taking them way too long to catch up
Old 05-28-15, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
CLA has nicer lights then the GS
and NX has nicer lights than CLA. And standard CLA is halogen. Standard IS/ES/NX is xenon or led.

Besides, updated GS is going to get crazy LEDs by the end of the year. Sure, they are going to cost a lot.
Old 05-28-15, 10:06 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the design of current Lexus lighting styles. I am glad they didn't jump on the Audi bandwagon and go all out with designs like most other companies. No reason to make them look like they came out of the movie Tron. I appreciate gradual redesign like Subaru. The only thing I don't like is the swoosh DRL's, actually I hate them lol.
Old 05-28-15, 10:31 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Kinda funny but I can't tell a Lexus from an Audi with the lights on in the rearview mirror. The swoosh LEDs and Audi strip LEDs look similar, especially with xenons on. I love the new Panamera LED DRL clusters, it makes the car look really aggressive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus needs to step up their light game