Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Possible guess price/Rarity/2016 GSF in 2018

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 02:28 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible guess price/Rarity/2016 GSF in 2018

This is going to be a strange request. I am trying to guess how much and how available do you think a Lexus GSF will be in 2018. I "jumped ship" and bought a 2014 RLX advanced with 6K miles for $36,500. That car has $1,000 more upgrades on it also. I am either going to buy an extended warranty. 8 years 120K miles for $1650 through acura with $100 deductible or I am going to trade it in, in 2018 for a used lexus GSF. The question is how available do you think the GSF 2016 model will be around then? Will people hold on to these and not sell them? What will be a "good" estimated price for the car in 2018. Is around 45K for a 2-2.5 year old GSF sound like a reasonable price? SO I am asking this to figure out do I need to keep the thing and wear it out and get the warranty, or wait and get the GSF. RIght now I don't even know the price the GSF will be when it comes out. I have heard around 70-75K
Old 05-27-15, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

LOL, how hot will it be in August in 2018? Nobody knows. Seriously, we can't predict market conditions for anything 3 years from now. Nobody has even seen or driven a GS-F, we don't have a release date, we don't have a price and not one has been sold so we have no idea what kind of demand or sales or production figures we're going to have at roll out let alone several years in.

How can we determine was a used value will be in 2018 when we don't even know what the car will cost new?

Your posts often mystify me

Do you have to buy the warranty for the Acura now? Is it like Lexus where you can buy it anytime during the original warranty? If so, I would wait. All your questions will be answered with time, but for now our crystal ***** are broken.
Old 05-27-15, 08:23 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Well, if it's anything like the current GS....residuals will suck. Trade in values will be terrible, which may end up meaning people in the used car buying mode could potentially get a good deal.

My local dealer still has a 2013 GS Luxury model on their lot as "new". The GS doesn't lead the league in sales. It will all depend on how the GS-F is priced. I'm betting, not well.
Old 05-27-15, 12:54 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Well, if it's anything like the current GS....residuals will suck. Trade in values will be terrible, which may end up meaning people in the used car buying mode could potentially get a good deal.
But it seems like residuals for F models hold value better than the regular lineup. Just look up preowned ISF, they are decent. But as mentioned earlier, it's too soon to predict.
Old 05-27-15, 05:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Late 2015 availability
MSRP will be about 75k

Check out RCF leases - GSF will be similar.
Old 05-28-15, 03:03 AM
krava
Lead Lap

might check ISF sales but not a lease. I think a lease is a complete waste of money. You pay a lot more for each mile driven then if you owned it. I can wait until the acura is out of warranty but then I might not get a good deal on an extended plan. THe guy at goodson acura is about $1000 less then what everyone else is quoting me. I kind of dont' want to lose that deal. From what I see even one that is 6 years old is 40K on cars.com.. So trying to get one of these things under 30K miles you won't find a decent deal at all I don't think.
Old 05-28-15, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by krava
might check ISF sales but not a lease. I think a lease is a complete waste of money. You pay a lot more for each mile driven then if you owned it.
It completely depends on your situation. If you drive a lot of miles yes, but if you don't, and you are going to trade every 5 or less years anyways, can deduct a vehicle for business it absolutely does not cost you more money per mile to lease.
Old 05-29-15, 01:56 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Lets see how close I am. I was talking about a new lease on a 2014 when I was going to lease one. I would pay around $21,000 and I think I got 12K or so miles 3 years. So that means for $21,000 I get 36K miles. (lets not deduct manual wear and tear for items). in 2009 I bought an 06 lexus gs for $26,500 cash. tax on it was $2,250 or so so we are at $28,750 I put over 150K miles on it and only had 1 repair $700 (rear differential leak) so now we are at $29,450 or so. So to break it down. For $21,000 I get 36K miles for $29,450 I got 150,000 miles I think I get a lot cheaper per mile for that car and I used that car for business purposes and deducted it from my taxes. the only reason I got 150,000 miles is because the car is now totaled. God knows how many miles I would have gotten out of it if it didn't get totaled. In the entire time I didn't replace any shocks, nothing besides tires. I did do the breaks 1 time, I can't remember doing the breaks twice. when I got the car it had new breaks and I know I got 60K miles out of it atleast before I did the first break job, then another 10K before I did the rear breaks or whichever ones were last. When that car crashed I still had 5mm or so left and still wasn't time for breaks. When you lease it, you have to return the car with a certain amount of breaks and tires left. I did go through some tires. IF I remember right I went though 3 sets. I always get the LONG treadwear ones.
Old 05-29-15, 01:57 AM
krava
Lead Lap

The crazy thing, the insurance is giving me $13K for that car subtract $550 for mods but I put that many miles on it. So to be perfectly fair. at $21,000 I wouldn't have any car left but I would have had 36K miles. So what you do is take the $29,450 - $12,450 and that is what it cost me to drive 150K miles. Which is the better deal? ) The new car I got I won't put that many miles on it. I will put some but not drive it to dallas and back 600 miles each time. I will rent a car for that.
Old 05-29-15, 02:32 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A LOT will happen in the car industry and with Lexus in the next three years. I don't think too many people stick with a 3-year future plan, as all kinds of things change or appear.

As far as the Acura.... it's reliable like any Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus. You don't need a warranty.
Old 05-29-15, 04:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're not comparing apples to apples Krava. You're comparing a used car vs leasing a new car, and you're planning on keeping the used car s long time. Of course buying a used car and keeping it is cheaper, but you're driving a used car vs a new car, and you're keeping it until it's pretty old vs driving a new car all the time.
Old 05-29-15, 06:06 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It completely depends on your situation. If you drive a lot of miles yes, but if you don't, and you are going to trade every 5 or less years anyways, can deduct a vehicle for business it absolutely does not cost you more money per mile to lease.
Regardless of the situation leasing is hands to the most expensive way to operate a vehicle over time.

BTW you can deduct a vehicle for business when you purchase it, so not sure home much more advantage you get by leasing for business deduction purposes.
Old 05-29-15, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No question leasing is more expensive than buying overall assuming you're going to keep a car for a long time. But, if you're only going to keep one of these cars 5 years or less I've done the math over and over and leasing is at worst no more expensive, and at best a little cheaper. I posted a long post on here once with all my math, I'll find it.

As for the deduction with a purchase, you can yes but it's more complicated, and requires a 5 year commitment for the full depreciation. It also depends on the vehicle, for instance an SUV over 6,000 lbs you get all that bonus depreciation so you have to buy it (you can take like $60k in the first year). With a lease it's easy, the lease payments and all the costs are deductible in the % of business use.

Using my LS as an example. I plan on keeping it for a long time, but I leased it anyways. That's against common wisdom. Why? I get to write off the lease, then when I buy it I get to depreciate it further.
Old 05-29-15, 07:01 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Using my LS as an example. I plan on keeping it for a long time, but I leased it anyways. That's against common wisdom. Why? I get to write off the lease, then when I buy it I get to depreciate it further.
Are you sure? Next gen LS is not too far away
Old 05-29-15, 07:27 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how the pricing will work since the car isn't out yet. I'd look to the ISF as an example of pricing. Look at pricing depreciation over two years and use it as a very rough estimate of what you can expect. In terms of availability, I think that's still up in the air. We won't know anything about that until production numbers and shipments to the U.S. Are released.

Quick Reply: Possible guess price/Rarity/2016 GSF in 2018