Installing aftermarket without wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 04:10 AM
kal1127
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing aftermarket without wiring harness

Guys,

I have the 2005 Lexus ES30 without nav, only the tape deck and 6 disk CD player. I am installing a Kenwood Navigation with bluetooth and was wondering if i can install this without an aftermarket wiring harness. Can i install this directly to the wires available and be ok.
Old 05-27-15, 01:48 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by kal1127
Guys,

I have the 2005 Lexus ES30 without nav, only the tape deck and 6 disk CD player. I am installing a Kenwood Navigation with bluetooth and was wondering if i can install this without an aftermarket wiring harness. Can i install this directly to the wires available and be ok.
Maybe. Even many supposedly professional installers think they have to use a commercial interface harness. In 2013, a Best Buy installer replaced the Nakamichi head unit in the 2000 LS400 that I sold last year with a double-DIN Kenwood DDX470 without cutting or splicing a single wire on the car's audio harness and without using a commercial interface harness. He spent most of the install time installing pins on a custom interface harness he made which he inserted into the cars audio system connectors. Speaker polarity was important - he got at least one speaker wrong and had to go back and switch the positive and negative pins. The install was completely reversible .... i.e. would have taken just a few minutes to remove the Kenwood and reinstall the Nak head unit and doing that was included in the installation fee - best $125 I ever spent.

Whether or not this can be done on your ES is another question. The Best Buy installer had a number of special tools including lighted magnifying glasses like a surgeon would wear. I think the total install time was nearly three hours - I watched from the waiting room. There were no steering wheel controls or backup camera involved in the install like there may be in yours. I thought about installing a back up camera later but decided to sell the car and move on.

I attached a diagram for your 05 ES audio system in case you don't already have one. It's from the subscription AARC website.

Last edited by Kansas; 05-27-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 05:32 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing this yourself, why would you want to avoid using a wiring harness and interface? This would be much easier than what I did in my IS350 a few years ago when no dash kits or harness were available. Using a plug and play harness and interface is completely reversible and makes the install easier. Metra shows to have the following kit for your 330 and it sells for $49 on eBay.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ADTY01