Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What was your first car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 10:14 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you do research on replacement part costs. When you buy an older luxury car, while the car's price may go down, the price of parts usually do not go down. For example, you might be shocked at the cost of replacement shocks and compressor for the LS430. It is also the reason I did not get a LS430, because it would simply cost too much to replace.
You may do what I did and look at the ES330 and ES350 series. Not only did they sell quite a few cars of these, but it also shares the same basic platform as a Camry and it shares basic replacement parts(struts, brake pads, etc). This results in cheaper replacement parts for the vehicle.
If you are drowning in loans, it is not the wisest decision to buy an older luxury car that still has moderately expensive replacement costs.
Old 05-24-15, 10:22 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be honest and tell you as your first car and coming straight out of college Lexus shouldn't be you first choice.
Look towards a mini SUV be it Toyota Rav 4 or Honda crv just to get you around until you get a solid job under you and you get an idea of where/what you want to work.
On the back end those that I mentioned will also be softer on the wallet when it comes time routine maintenance. Try any vehicle under 100k with good maintenance records.
There will be PLENTY of Lexus in your future. You've waited this long what's another 2 years?
Good luck and a big congrats on graduating.
Old 05-24-15, 11:24 AM
vertiasnyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have exaggerated about actually "drowning" in loans. I think I am in the average loan amount for undergraduates who graduated

Thanks NickTee, it sounds like a really good idea looking at the cost of replacement parts, but what is the probability of something being replaced? In addition, what year for the ES do you recommend? I read mixed reviews about that model.

Any thoughts about the GS?

Looks like I'm being pushed away Lexus haha
Old 05-24-15, 11:44 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

The probability of failure is unpredictable, though if the parts have never been replaced you should plan to replace some of them(like air shocks). It is for that reason you should research costs and expect the worse, that way you are prepared. Nothing is more terrible than getting your new-to-you car and drowning in replacement part costs.

Regarding the model, if you can swing the extra money to get a ES350, I would get a 2008. 2007 is fine, it's what I have, but I would have gotten a 2008 if I hadn't gotten a steal on my car(I bought it with 118,000 miles for $9,500) If you are looking at the ES330, any should be fine. They have a plush ride and are quiet.

The GS models are also nice cars and the 2nd gen forums contain a wealth of knowledge. But, like the IS-series, you also run into the issue that some of the vehicles are abused because the owner thinks it is a race car).

With any used car purchase, it is imperative that you have the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic to protect yourself. They may be able to identify underlying issues that you would not discover yourself. You should also check both the Autocheck and Carfax to make sure that there are no issues. I have seen some that were lemon buybacks, some with frame damage, etc. I have also discovered some vehicles that showed a clean Carfax and Autocheck showed two accidents.
Old 05-24-15, 12:40 PM
vertiasnyc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks NickTee, I will look more into the ES; however, I do not find it attractive. I agree, used IS and GS have targeted people who modify cars.

Guys, feel free to throw cars at me that I did not mention.
Old 05-24-15, 01:47 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Scion TC, Accord coupe, Acura TSX.
Old 05-24-15, 01:51 PM
vertiasnyc
Driver School Candidate

I was wrong, the ES after the year 2007 are a lot more attractive. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at those.
Old 05-24-15, 02:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Get a Subaru Legacy, WRX or Forester

You will need AWD in CT.

For 10k - u not going to get a decent Lexus that needs no work.
Old 05-24-15, 02:41 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Get a Subaru Legacy, WRX or Forester

You will need AWD in CT.

For 10k - u not going to get a decent Lexus that needs no work.
u no dah best, yo. Ain't nobody got time for dat! Dem overpriced WRXs sux majorz n r moded u dah mahx!
Old 05-24-15, 02:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
u no dah best, yo. Ain't nobody got time for dat! Dem overpriced WRXs sux majorz n r moded u dah mahx!

English please.....
Old 05-24-15, 03:13 PM
vertiasnyc
Driver School Candidate

RNM GS3, the winter is not aggressive in that city of CT. In addition, I never admired the looks of those subaru models, but thanks anyway

NickTee, I looked on the web and noticed that many people praised the 2006 Acura TSX. The prices are not far from the 2007 lexus ES 350.
Old 05-24-15, 03:24 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

English please.....
*Whoosh*
That was the sound of the joke going over your head.

Originally Posted by vertiasnyc
RNM GS3, the winter is not aggressive in that city of CT. In addition, I never admired the looks of those subaru models, but thanks anyway

NickTee, I looked on the web and noticed that many people praised the 2006 Acura TSX. The prices are not far from the 2007 lexus ES 350.

I had a TSX prior to the ES350, but the ES is far superior to the TSX. If you can swing it, I would get the ES. If you can't, the TSX is still a nice car. It's just not on the level of the ES.
Old 05-24-15, 03:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

If u live in tristate area and u need car to commute to work with no public transportation- i strongly advise you to get at least AWD.
CT winters are usually worse than NYC.
Old 05-24-15, 03:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
*Whoosh*
That was the sound of the joke going over your head.
Writing something in weird wording is now a joke?
Ok i guess...very funny!
Old 05-24-15, 03:39 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Writing something in weird wording is now a joke?
Ok i guess...very funny!
Read the manner in which you write. If you still do not get it, it's that much funnier.

Quick Reply: What was your first car?