Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help my mom find a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Help my mom find a new SUV

OK, so four months after my dad got his Lexus ES350, my mom who have driven it on numerous occasions has decided she would like to upgrade her SUV.

Currently she has a 2004 4Runner which she has plans to donate to me. It has 90k on it and it is limited and is a V8. She has nothing but utter satisfaction for it. She basically has said that it has been the best vehicle she has ever owned.

So, money really is no issue however my mom is less pro-lexus or luxury than she is pro Toyota or non luxury branded.

Now, we are going to Toyota on Tuesday to look at the new 2015 4Runner. She also thought of a Sequoia from the Toyota brand.

Any other vehicles from other nameplates should she consider based on the fact that she has loved her 4Runner?

Only caveat is that the car must be the color navy blue, there are no exceptions to this requirement. Every truck, car she has owned since 1957 has been this color.

My mom is 75 years old. Is a bit odd and is unconventional.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-23-15, 03:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

does she want a truck framed vehicle or a crossover?
Old 05-23-15, 03:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
does she want a truck framed vehicle or a crossover?
Probably makes no difference but I would maybe say she is used to a body on frame even though she does not know what that is.
Old 05-23-15, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If your mom likes the 4Runner's mechanicals but just wants something different to look at, and will settle for something a little older than absolutely brand-new, might want to check out the FJ Cruiser (especially a CPO), which went out of production last year. The FJ is essentially a 4Runner with a classic retro body and interior. As far as the "Navy" blue is concerned, the FJ was available in a couple of different shades of a Mariner/Nautical-type "Navy"-blue (though they didn't call it that...they called it other names). I don't know if your mom would settle for that, or if she has to have the traditional "Navy" blue, which is a very dark blue...almost black. I don't think the FJ ever came in that color.

Since you say money is not an issue, she might also like the Lexus GX. The 2015 models do not come in any shade of blue, but some past models might have a shade that is at least acceptable to her.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 06:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the Highlander is the obvious choice for your mother. Of course she needs to test drive both the Highlander and new 4Runner as well as a Lexus RX.

Even though she has been a big fan of the 4Runner, there's no doubt that she would prefer the comforts of a crossover. A lot has changed since 2004. Unless she is an off roader or towing boats, which I doubt, buying a body on frame ute isn't the way to go IMO. A crossover ride is much better for daily street driving. Plus just compare the two interiors. The Highlander is soft and luxurious, the 4Runner purposely hard edged and rugged. They are two very different demographics. Toyota should be praised for building both because while technically sharing a category, they are sharply different.

The RX fits if she really doesn't need the size and added utility of the two Toyota’s but prefers more luxury. Show her a picture of the new 2016 and see what she thinks.
Old 05-23-15, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
IMO, the Highlander is the obvious choice for your mother. Of course she needs to test drive both the Highlander and new 4Runner as well as a Lexus RX.

Even though she has been a big fan of the 4Runner, there's no doubt that she would prefer the comforts of a crossover. A lot has changed since 2004. Unless she is an off roader or towing boats, which I doubt, buying a body on frame ute isn't the way to go IMO. A crossover ride is much better for daily street driving. Plus just compare the two interiors. The Highlander is soft and luxurious, the 4Runner purposely hard edged and rugged. They are two very different demographics. Toyota should be praised for building both because while technically sharing a category, they are sharply different.
From a strictly comfort point of view, I'd agree the Highlander is a better choice than something on a 4Runner platform, though, from my test-drive experience, the Kia Sorento rides even smoother than the Highlander. But she probably wouldn't want a Kia. And, of course, whatever she chooses, according to Jill, it has to be available in a Navy blue color. Not all vehicles would qualify there.
Old 05-23-15, 08:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From a strictly comfort point of view, I'd agree the Highlander is a better choice than something on a 4Runner platform, though, from my test-drive experience, the Kia Sorento rides even smoother than the Highlander. But she probably wouldn't want a Kia. And, of course, whatever she chooses, according to Jill, [Bit has to be available in a Navy blue color.[/B] Not all vehicles would qualify there.
At Toyota, it is Nautical Blue.

Old 05-23-15, 10:34 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd go with an MDX or Highlander
Old 05-24-15, 03:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
At Toyota, it is Nautical Blue.
Yes, that's close to a traditional "Navy" Blue, but to quite as dark. Not all vehicles at Toyota offer it though...or offer it each year.
Old 05-24-15, 07:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
OK, so four months after my dad got his Lexus ES350, my mom who have driven it on numerous occasions has decided she would like to upgrade her SUV.

Currently she has a 2004 4Runner which she has plans to donate to me. It has 90k on it and it is limited and is a V8. She has nothing but utter satisfaction for it. She basically has said that it has been the best vehicle she has ever owned.

So, money really is no issue however my mom is less pro-lexus or luxury than she is pro Toyota or non luxury branded.

Now, we are going to Toyota on Tuesday to look at the new 2015 4Runner. She also thought of a Sequoia from the Toyota brand.

Any other vehicles from other nameplates should she consider based on the fact that she has loved her 4Runner?

Only caveat is that the car must be the color navy blue, there are no exceptions to this requirement. Every truck, car she has owned since 1957 has been this color.

My mom is 75 years old. Is a bit odd and is unconventional.

Any suggestions?
If she is leaning toward a non-lux brand, then, to me, the top choices are the Highlander, the Hyundai Santa Fe, and the Kia Sorento. Also the '16 Pilot, but I'm not sure when it's available for purchase.

The Santa Fe Limited comes pretty well equipped, and can be had for less than a Highlander. The Limited model also comes with mid-row captain's chairs; my neighbor has a Santa Fe and really likes it.

I haven't seen much great write ups on the Pathfinder.

I don't know what colors are available on any of those.
Old 05-24-15, 08:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Since your mom is 75 (and not getting any younger) have you and her thought of getting something a little manageable size-wise?
Old 05-24-15, 12:56 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4runner prices are absolutely insane in Canada. $53k with taxes for a loaded one. Are you kidding me? An NX with the luxury package is only $2k more.
Old 05-24-15, 02:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Lexus GX is great and would be my choice for long term reliability.

Or if money is really no issue and you want a truck based SUV - MB G550 is hard to dismiss.
Old 05-26-15, 01:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Done deal. My mom bought a 2015 4Runner Limited in nautical blue with a bunch of accessories added.

She test drove a Highlander, GX And the 4Runner.

Never seen her so passionate about the 4Runner.

Cost was $2000 over invoice from a buyer protection agency.

Only thing now is to wait as the wait time might be as long as 3 months as the color is extremely hard to find and there may be no new 2015 available in Canada at the present time.
Old 05-26-15, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Done deal. My mom bought a 2015 4Runner Limited in nautical blue with a bunch of accessories added.

She test drove a Highlander, GX And the 4Runner.

Never seen her so passionate about the 4Runner.

Cost was $2000 over invoice from a buyer protection agency.

Only thing now is to wait as the wait time might be as long as 3 months as the color is extremely hard to find and there may be no new 2015 available in Canada at the present time.
Give her our congratulations. Hope they can find the color she wants.

She must really like 4Runners (or do some off-roading) to prefer its firmer ride over the Highlander.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-15 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Help my mom find a new SUV