Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004 4Runner Limited (thoughts?)

Old 05-21-15, 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2004 4Runner Limited (thoughts?)

Anyone have any opinions on the 2004 4Runner Limited?

It has 90k and is one owner and a hand me down coming my way. It will be a V8 with all the maintenance done and it will have brand new tires which are Michelin Cross Terrain.

May or may not have to pay anything ....I'm looking at the possibility of ditching my Tacoma and just taking in a 4Runner.

Worth doing? How long do they last?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-21-15 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 12:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had an '07 4Runner with the V8. The V8 was amazing (note that it was the updated version with 260 hp / 306 lb-ft over what would be in the '04 you're looking at). It's still one of my favorite vehicles I've owned to date. I traded it in for my '11 Tacoma because I wanted a manual transmission, otherwise I would have kept it.

I bought it new but sold it with 60k miles on it. It still drove like new and I never did anything more than oil and air filter changes. I give it a hearty .
Old 05-21-15, 01:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good reviews here... http://www.cars.com/toyota/4runner/2...sumer-reviews/
Old 05-21-15, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Haven't owned one, but they seem to last forever if you take care of them. I routinely see them go over 200,000 miles, and some approach 300,000. Local Toyota dealers in this area sell them used with 175,000 miles on them...not CPO, of course. The 4th generation 2004 version continued the truck-derived, body-on-frame design of previous years, which made for decent tow ratings (especially with the V8) and off-road capability, should you choose or need to use it that way....and underbody skid plates were standard. Earlier ones from the 80s and early 90s tended to suffer from body rust, but that problem was generally dealt with by the 4Gen ones were out (look over the one that you're getting for any signs of rust, anyway, since it is presumably coming from a harsh Canadian climate). The good news is that the 4Gen models with the V8 had a full-time 4WD system that could be used anywhere (assuming yours is not a RWD)....V6 models used a driver-engaged part-time 4WD system that could not be used on dry pavement, had to be manually selected, and on partially-plowed or partially-melted wet or snowy roads, you never knew what your tires were riding on underneath at any given moment. So the Full-Time is a much better system for driver-convenience, though it may (along with the V8 itself) use a little more fuel in the process. 4Runners are also squared-off and conservatively-styled, so inside space-efficiency and outward visibility are both good. The only thing about them I don't particularly care for is their relatively stiff ride and the fact that they are relatively narrow, with a high center of gravity, so that means tipsy handling if you overdo it in the corners, even with a stiff suspension. But if you are used to a Tacoma's stiff ride, you should have no problem with the 4Runner's....and normal sedate driving and cornering shouldn't upset the tipsiness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Holy smokes folks. I was reading at Toyota University, the 04 4Runner uses the identical spec 4.7 and 5 speed from the LX470. Now I'm sold. Engine code and transmission is the same reference number. Built in the Tahara plant.

I think I'm sold on this one.

I am thinking 90k is nothing for this thing?
Old 05-22-15, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Holy smokes folks. I was reading at Toyota University, the 04 4Runner uses the identical spec 4.7 and 5 speed from the LX470.
That's because, back then, Toyota only produced one V8 for its American-market products. The larger i-Force 5.7L V8 debuted several years later with the 2Gen Tundra and the LX570.

If it has not been abused or neglected, then 90K is not a lot of miles at all for a 4Runner. Keep in mind, though, that rubber/vinyl/plastic parts age and deteriorate with time, not just mileage. Since it is 11-12 years old, you may have to replace some tires, hoses, belts, wiper blades, rubber weatherstripping/insulation, etc.....and a timing belt if that particular engine uses one (I don't remember). Plastic headlight covers also tend to get cloudy and yellow with time.....the SCRATCH OUT liquid I often talk about can sometimes take care of that.

'm looking at the possibility of ditching my Tacoma and just taking in a 4Runner
You've talked about the new upcoming 2016 Tacoma for months...especially compared to the new Colorado/Canyon. Are you going to at least look at it before deciding on a used 4Runner? I guess, though, on the other hand, even if you got your mom's 4Runner, you could still look at the new Tundra any time you wanted.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-23-15, 02:59 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would change every fluid on the thing with OEM fluids - just to be sure they're 100% good to go.

tranny/differential/brake fluid/eng oil/radiator flush/power steering
Old 05-23-15, 06:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any opinions on the 2004 4Runner Limited?

It has 90k and is one owner and a hand me down coming my way. It will be a V8 with all the maintenance done and it will have brand new tires which are Michelin Cross Terrain.

May or may not have to pay anything ....I'm looking at the possibility of ditching my Tacoma and just taking in a 4Runner.

Worth doing? How long do they last?
Forever.

Just a quick search I found this example.

90k = new car in Toyota land.
Old 05-25-15, 08:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

We have an 06 V8 SR5 that has been fantastic and only have had to do normal maintenance. A sure winner in my book.
Old 05-25-15, 04:24 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small correction to mmarshall's post. The 4wd system in the 4th gen v6 is not like the part time 4wd system on the 5th gen's where you shouldn't be driving in 4HI on pavement. The 4th gen v6 has Torsen center differential and in 4HI mode behaves just like the v8 in 4HI. But that is besides the point. OP is looking at the v8.

I still have my 04 v6 4wd. Bought since new and approaching 200k miles. It has been awesome.
Old 05-25-15, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by *wishlist*
Small correction to mmarshall's post. The 4wd system in the 4th gen v6 is not like the part time 4wd system on the 5th gen's where you shouldn't be driving in 4HI on pavement. The 4th gen v6 has Torsen center differential and in 4HI mode behaves just like the v8 in 4HI. But that is besides the point. OP is looking at the v8.
Interesting point. I checked Wikipedia, and they do list the Torsen-equipped 4Gen V6 4WD ystem as "part-time" (which normally means no use on dry pavement). But you have a point.....a center differential should allow operation on any kind of surface when the differentials are not locked.

It's possible, maybe, that that is an error in Wiki's specs. Wiki is good (one of the best sources I've seen) , but their data is not foolproof.

And you're correct.....it's a moot point anyway, since she is looking for a V8 model, not the V6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner

Fourth generation (N210; 2002–2009)

The optional 4WD systems were full-time on V8 models while "Multi-Mode" or part-time on V6 models, both systems used a lockable Torsen center differential.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-25-15 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 03:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can afford the gas, then go for it. They're great trucks.

Also, if its free, I wouldn't care if it was a Yugo.
Old 05-26-15, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you can afford the gas, then go for it. They're great trucks.

Also, if its free, I wouldn't care if it was a Yugo.
I'll give you 15 minutes in a Yugo. You'd care.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 05:10 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new to you t4r. I tend to lean towards the v8 in situations like these and unless you really want that bed, the 4runner should be as good or better for daily use. Also, with the second hand Taco market the way it is, you're likely to get top dollar for your old truck.
Old 05-27-15, 12:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Just to correct the wrong info in this thread. The 4Runner offers a "multi mode" and not a part time 4WD system.

The multi mode system offers 2WD, open centre diff 4WD, center diff locked 4WD, and 4LO.

Part time offers 2WD, locked 4WD, 4LO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 4Runner Limited (thoughts?)