Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Maryland removed parallel parking from driving test

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I failed parallel parking at my WA license exam because I had Golf II and I could not see the tiny cones they put in the order to test, so I was literally driving blind... still passed the test though.

I dont think it matters, bad drivers will forget about parallel parking weeks after taking the exam anyway.
Old 05-21-15, 04:03 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Maryland will soon have a lot of LS600h's or double parked cars.
Old 05-21-15, 04:04 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, I am from Jamaica and compared to there I was surprised how easy USA driving exam is. In Jamaica we first had to do a mechanical test (questions about how much psi in tyres, how does an engine work etc), signs and driving exam test.

After that we had the driving test which included both a yard test and on the road test. Parallel parking, hill start, hill descent, parking on a hill and the other usual stuff. If you hit the curb once during the yard or on the road test you automatically fail. We also had to use our hands as signals when turning
Old 05-21-15, 04:20 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Wow, I am from Jamaica and compared to there I was surprised how easy USA driving exam is. In Jamaica we first had to do a mechanical test (questions about how much psi in tyres, how does an engine work etc), signs and driving exam test.

After that we had the driving test which included both a yard test and on the road test. Parallel parking, hill start, hill descent, parking on a hill and the other usual stuff. If you hit the curb once during the yard or on the road test you automatically fail. We also had to use our hands as signals when turning
The easiest exam is in Russia. You pay $50 and don't take any exams. You even get the license before anyone else, you pretty much skip the waiting line.
Old 05-21-15, 05:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The easiest exam is in Russia. You pay $50 and don't take any exams. You even get the license before anyone else, you pretty much skip the waiting line.
you dont really take the exam, right? :-)

Here in eastern europe, it costs around $1500 to get driving license. Thats the cost of mandatory 30hrs of driving school as well as taking the tests. A lot of people get loans to get it and some people (especially female) never pass the test due to the pricing.

A lot of the drivers are still bad though, i dont see any advantage to that.
Old 05-21-15, 06:21 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
you dont really take the exam, right? :-)

Here in eastern europe, it costs around $1500 to get driving license. Thats the cost of mandatory 30hrs of driving school as well as taking the tests. A lot of people get loans to get it and some people (especially female) never pass the test due to the pricing.

A lot of the drivers are still bad though, i dont see any advantage to that.
Exactly. You skip all the tests. Pretty scary if you ask me, but totaly makes sense. Driving tests in Russia can be very hard to pass. Not only that they use cars strictly with the stick shift, they also don't take exams on city roads. They have special lots designed for these type of tests. May seem like an easy task, but some of the obstacles on the exam can be rediculsly hard for the new drivers, especially if the car has stick shift. A lot of female drivers just buy the license there....
Old 05-22-15, 07:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Exactly. You skip all the tests. Pretty scary if you ask me, but totaly makes sense. Driving tests in Russia can be very hard to pass. Not only that they use cars strictly with the stick shift, they also don't take exams on city roads. They have special lots designed for these type of tests. May seem like an easy task, but some of the obstacles on the exam can be rediculsly hard for the new drivers, especially if the car has stick shift. A lot of female drivers just buy the license there....
we are talking about bribe, right?
Old 05-22-15, 08:40 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess that's the reason in all the crash videos we see on Youtube people display zero judgement. In those videos you can always count on a car to shoot through on the right lane only to hit a car in the intersection.
Old 05-22-15, 08:45 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

They should also get rid of the stop sign portion of the test. Five minutes after they pass the test kids start ignoring them anyway.
In NYC, drivers all seem to go blind and ignore the pedestrians trying to cross the street regularly.

Ed
Old 05-22-15, 11:48 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
They should also get rid of the stop sign portion of the test. Five minutes after they pass the test kids start ignoring them anyway.
In NYC, drivers all seem to go blind and ignore the pedestrians trying to cross the street regularly.

Ed
I guess that explains why my buddy, who visited from NY, drove the way he did, specifically ignoring pedestrians crossing the streets lol.
Old 05-22-15, 01:51 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Parallel parking is not part of the test in California...
IIRC it was removed from the CA test all the way back in the 90s. I get the feeling Maryland will survive this.
Old 05-22-15, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
IIRC it was removed from the CA test all the way back in the 90s. I get the feeling Maryland will survive this.
I got my license in 2003 here in CA and it was still part of the driving test..
Old 05-22-15, 05:33 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I got my license in 2003 here in CA and it was still part of the driving test..
I took the CA exam in the 90s and it was no longer required. My driving school didn't even teach it.

Just to ensure I'm not remembering things incorrectly, I just did a google search and was able to find various anecdotal evidence (such as posts on various forums) from before 2003 where CA drive test participants said it was no longer required, including one from 2001 where it was stated it had been "years" since it had been required. Maybe they reinstated the requirement after then and have since removed it again.

Last edited by gengar; 05-22-15 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 05:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I took the CA exam in the 90s and it was no longer required. My driving school didn't even teach it.

Just to ensure I'm not remembering things incorrectly, I just did a google search and was able to find various anecdotal evidence (such as posts on various forums) from before 2003 where CA drive test participants said it was no longer required, including one from 2001 where it was stated it had been "years" since it had been required. Maybe they reinstated the requirement after then and have since removed it again.
Hmm. My driving instructor was known as 'Crazy Larry' by my peers here in the East Bay. Maybe he started making up his own battery of tests
Old 05-22-15, 07:16 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget that, what I find ridiculous is that they do not require driver instruction courses like they do in Europe. Imagine how much better drivers would be. The best part is those that couldn't pass wouldn't be driving, except for illegals.

Quick Reply: Maryland removed parallel parking from driving test