Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche calls for an end to the horsepower wars

Old 05-26-15, 07:35 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
On the street, there is really no need for any car above 200 HP. You cannot safely and legally drive a 200 HP car to its limit without breaking the law.
So glad you're not setting horsepower limits for the country haha

Long live breaking the law.
Old 05-27-15, 04:18 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a ridiculous comment. You are completely uninformed.

The 2UR-GSE V8 in the RCF is completely new with the exception of the block. The direct shift tranny, an outstanding engineering accomplishment in 2008, has been much improved. I presume you speak from first hand driving experience with the new RCF? I won't ask this question about the GS-F.

The RCF weight argument has failed long ago. A 4.2 0-60 mph (my best time), a top speed cranking into the mid 170's, agility, brute power, and slot-car handling--I think it's perhaps the great grand touring car in its class in the world. The RCF EASILY competes on the track as well with the M4. (Just keep your distance from the M4 as it has a tendency to swing out unpredictably at the rear--particularly on corners.)

Get educated and then come back for a discussion. Stop bashing things you don't understand.

Special features of the RC F engine include titanium valves, forged connecting rods, an optimized exhaust layout to more effectively harness exhaust pulses and an air-cooled oil cooler for optimum durability.

New or redesigned parts include:
•Cylinder heads and cam covers
•Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
•Crank main bearings and caps
•High-strength forged connecting rods
•Pistons and piston rings
•Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
•Intake manifold and throttle body
•Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
•Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
•Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
•Oil pan and baffle plate
•Alternator clutch system
•Engine and transmission oil coolers
•Spark plugs

Digging Into the Metal •The new cylinder heads improve the 2UR-GSE engine’s breathing with improved porting and a high-flow/high tumble ratio. In addition, intake surge-tank capacity has been optimized, as have the intake manifold runner length and diameter.

•The new oil pan baffle shape reduces agitation and hence friction, while new air-to-oil coolers for the engine oil and transmission fluid increase track suitability.
•The Lexus D-4S dual-injection system has been redesigned, with higher injection pressure of 2,611 psi and improved fuel atomization.
•The throttle diameter was increased by 10 percent, from 3 to 3.3 inches (84 mm).
•A new intake camshaft profile increases valve lift and suits the Atkinson cycle, while improvements to the electronic VVT-iE system have expanded its range of operation for increased fuel economy and performance.
•New four-into-two exhaust headers help reduce interference and hence further improve engine breathing. The larger-diameter exhaust system is designed to reduce backpressure and sound amazing, especially under acceleration. At the same time, the main muffler keeps things from getting too rowdy at lower speeds.
•As a final touch, the new 2UR-GSE engine has a one-way clutch on the alternator pulley.

Originally Posted by doge
Lol did you read the text bellow the headline?

You can try and spin it as much as you want. Porsche will do so by implementing new tech. The gs-f is using a decades old engine and trans and its called a new car lol..

Have you seen how much the rc-f weights ?
Old 05-27-15, 09:04 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
You have made a lot of good points. However, you misunderstood the intended audience I was referring to. I don't mean for all the general public. I meant car brands should focus on handling performance rather than HP war for the car enthusiasts who are into high performance cars, not the soccer mom or soccer dad out there who use cars to drive from A to B. I'm referring to the group who love cars that are fun to drive.

The 2nd point, same thing, I'm talking about most small to mid size sedans or coupe, not giant SUV lol so 200 HP is plenty to be driven to the limit.

3rd point, if the guy can afford a super car, he can also afford bringing it to the track. Also, for beginners, they almost always have instructors showing them how to drive on the track so they would not be recklessly crash their car. I do bring my Lexus to the track every now and then. If I were to own a super car, I would do the same too because those high performance cars are made to be driven hard. I'm disappointed that many high performance cars are sitting in garage collecting dust.
I agree with MOST of what is being said here especially with the article originally posted (sorry late to the party). But in most production cars, anything beyond 400hp IMO on the road is useless because with most traffic laws and restrictions, no one is really going to be racing to 65-70 mph lol. But as mentioned, its more for the enthusiast, not the daily drivers.

And coming from someone with some track experience (especially now working with a team currently racing in the Pirelli World Challenge) On track, anything above 500 HP is annoying unless your on a high speed track where you need the speed.. Smaller momentum style tracks (which I LOVE), you can see small 160hp Miata's blow the doors off of faster porsches and other track day cars because they are just balanced MUCH better. Plus I find that you get much better competition in the lower HP classes because most of the cars can stick together. We are in TCA/TCB class so the cars range from the 110-220 HP range. The guys are great but the competition is TOUGH!!

In the GT/GTS class which are the 400+ plus club cars, it gets boring because the HP differences just ends up spacing the cars out and no one is really getting it in with anyone after the first few laps. Plus those cars are restricted to 525 HP max and this is the Semi to PRO level so the HP war doesn't even follow much beyond in racing.

I have an IS250 and people complain how slow it is but its a BLAST on the track. Because i have driven the 250 on the track, i think i'd get another 250/350 before even thinking about an RC-F
Old 05-27-15, 11:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I have an IS250 and people complain how slow it is but its a BLAST on the track. Because i have driven the 250 on the track, i think i'd get another 250/350 before even thinking about an RC-F
Most that complain are testosterone driven teenagers . Mostly folks just don't understand the 2.5L V6. They hear 'V6' and immediately think power. Truthfully the 2.5L V6 is more a four cylinder competitor with two extra cylinders to keep things refined. The recent trend towards turbo four cylinders will phase this motor out soon, but it did its duty for more than a decade

250 is very tossable and linear in power delivery. Surprisingly competent on an AutoX
Old 05-27-15, 11:33 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I agree with MOST of what is being said here especially with the article originally posted (sorry late to the party). But in most production cars, anything beyond 400hp IMO on the road is useless because with most traffic laws and restrictions, no one is really going to be racing to 65-70 mph lol. But as mentioned, its more for the enthusiast, not the daily drivers.

And coming from someone with some track experience (especially now working with a team currently racing in the Pirelli World Challenge) On track, anything above 500 HP is annoying unless your on a high speed track where you need the speed.. Smaller momentum style tracks (which I LOVE), you can see small 160hp Miata's blow the doors off of faster porsches and other track day cars because they are just balanced MUCH better. Plus I find that you get much better competition in the lower HP classes because most of the cars can stick together. We are in TCA/TCB class so the cars range from the 110-220 HP range. The guys are great but the competition is TOUGH!!

In the GT/GTS class which are the 400+ plus club cars, it gets boring because the HP differences just ends up spacing the cars out and no one is really getting it in with anyone after the first few laps. Plus those cars are restricted to 525 HP max and this is the Semi to PRO level so the HP war doesn't even follow much beyond in racing.

Totally agree with you! You made a lot of good points! That is exactly what I'm saying.

Don't mean to generalize but a lot of people judge cars performance only on HP. They think that damn that 600+ super car is hot ride. These people are usually the ones who never autocross or track their cars. It will be a big surprise for them to see that the Honda S2K and Miata with proper set up, despite with less than 3 times less HP, can beat the 600 HP super car on autocross. I have seen Miata and Honda S2K beating high HP Porsche like nothing on autocross.

Also, I totally agree with you that the IS250 is fully capable fun to drive car. Most bash the car being slow and all that but these guys actually never push the car to its limit in the corners. Once they bring it to autocross or track, the IS250 handles awesome! The autocross time between my IS250 and IS350 is almost the same. It is the g-force limit that matters in technical track layout, not really the HP. The HP only helps on track with long high speed straight away but not cornering. I have been saying this over and over and I'm so happy to see another track junkie reinforcing the same idea.
Old 05-27-15, 12:17 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Most that complain are testosterone driven teenagers . Mostly folks just don't understand the 2.5L V6. They hear 'V6' and immediately think power. Truthfully the 2.5L V6 is more a four cylinder competitor with two extra cylinders to keep things refined. The recent trend towards turbo four cylinders will phase this motor out soon, but it did its duty for more than a decade

250 is very tossable and linear in power delivery. Surprisingly competent on an AutoX
Might be a fine idea to make this an eco-boost motor.
Old 05-27-15, 12:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Might be a fine idea to make this an eco-boost motor.
I've always thought they (or someone) should make a 2.0L turbo V6. Smooth and powerful for entry level luxury sport. Ford's latest 2.7L EcoBoost is the closest thing I've currently seen thus far.
Old 05-27-15, 02:15 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

typical media bull****. The way the article is worded it makes it seem like all of Porsche is behind ending horsepower war.

This is incorrect. It is only the Porsche GT section (GT3, GT3 RS, etc.) who have this philosophy, and they have had it for years. 911 GT3s always have less HP than the Turbos, and it makes sense you dont need 600hp to make a good track car.

There is no point comparing what Lexus does to what Porsche do. Lexus isnt even the same league.
Also remember that Lexus cars are the way they are because of the accountants. Its not the same for Porsche
Old 05-27-15, 02:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

It's interesting that Ford had been locked in an HP war with GM between the GT500 and the Camaro ZL1, which Ford was winning....and then they up and discontinue the GT500 in favor of a GT350 that makes about 500 hp instead of 650.
Old 05-27-15, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's interesting that Ford had been locked in an HP war with GM between the GT500 and the Camaro ZL1, which Ford was winning....and then they up and discontinue the GT500 in favor of a GT350 that makes about 500 hp instead of 650.
Sooner or later, though (and it seems like sooner), makers of high-performance vehicles are going to have to figure out ways of getting the same or more power out of less and less fuel...or simply produce less-powerful vehicles (which is basically what happened in the 1970s and 1980s). The new CAFE laws are going into effect before long.
Old 05-27-15, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Speed limits are not necessarily determined by engine power. I've seen people get repeated speeding tickets in a 70 HP Toyota Tercel.
Old 05-27-15, 05:02 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KevinGS

Long live breaking the law.
Give a regular sedan even with low HP to a good driver, he can easily break the street laws when he pushes that car to the limit.

Even a regular driver can break the law, don't tell me a hybrids can't pass 80 MPH

Breaking traffic law is not a matter of how much HP a car has, it is rather the intention of the driver!

And and don't tell me you never break any traffic law and how much HP does your car have?
Old 05-27-15, 05:22 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have to say that while I enjoy more power, I honestly believe there is a point after which it's just wasted & no longer improves the drive. If the additional power comes at the expense of additional weight, I'm not convinced it's worth it. I would say that for the typical 3500# coupe, something between 300 & 450 hp is the ideal range. Less than that, & it feels weak. More, & you often can't make use of it outside of a drag strip. As a regular autocross competitor, I would have no desire for a car that required traction control to push hard at an event. On that note, the cars we have are a 160hp Miata, & a 305hp Mustang. Despite the fact that the Miata has a much worse power/weight ratio, I'd rather drive it in any situation other than long interstate drives. The reduced weight is just much more enjoyable than the additional power. Would I prefer more power? Sure, but while I'd love a 300hp Miata, I'm not sure I'd want a 500hp one.
Old 05-28-15, 05:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
who says they wouldnt make a new GT500? GT350 is a track beast like the Z28. GT350's engine approaches the specs of a Ferrari 458 engine and its only $50k
Old 05-28-15, 06:13 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

ISF001, thanks for the detailed info on the RC-F engine. I first thought it was the old V8 lump slapped into a new body but it definitely isn't, and there's merit in Lexus using a big normally aspirated engine while everyone else moves to forced induction. Some European reviewers praise the RC as a great grand tourer while being less nervous on track than the M4. I thought it was strange that Lexus focused so much on its track abilities when the car clearly belongs outside the track.