Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche calls for an end to the horsepower wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 06:08 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I did not mix it up. Horsepower is a measure of unit of work done....the amount of work it takes to lift a 550 lb. weight 1 foot in one second. Torque, though affected by HP, is a different force altogether....a twisting motion, determined by a lever effect. It is what actually comes out the rear of the engine on the output shaft. To simplify it, torque is what accelerates a car; HP determines its top speed.

The correct formula, BTW, is: HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252 (you forgot the 5252 part).

Anyhow, back to the thread topic, I agree with Porsche. IMO we are well past the point of diminishing returns when it comes to just adding more and more power to today's cars. It's like trying to drink more and more beers when you are already drunk enough to pass out.
I did not mention the constant because it is a constant. Does not change no matter what engine type or brand of car.

I am confused how you are able to state contradictions with such authority??? One hand you state that hp is on its own and then you put down the correct formula for HP which clearly shows it is a function of torque.
Anyways, we are in a situation where we are unable to Harness such increases in hp effectively due to them beyond the capabilities of the current transportation infrastructure and the threshold of human abilities.
Old 05-18-15, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo

I am confused how you are able to state contradictions with such authority??? One hand you state that hp is on its own and then you put down the correct formula for HP which clearly shows it is a function of torque.
First of all, it's not my authority. That is a physics law, not my own.....I didn't make it. Second, Though somewhat interrelated, they are two separate and clearly different forces, that work in different ways.....that's all I was saying.

Anyways, we are in a situation where we are unable to Harness such increases in hp effectively due to them beyond the capabilities of the current transportation infrastructure and the threshold of human abilities.
Yes, I definitely agree on that one. And Porsche is also correct to point that out.

I grew up with American muscle cars in the 1960s that were running 400 HP +/- and between 400 and 500 ft-lbs. of torque. Those cars alone proved quite dangerous in the hands of immature or overzealous drivers (which is why the insurance premiums skyrocketed on them)....and today, 600-700 HP is not uncommon, though electronic and other safety/traction aids take away at least some of the added risk. Also, starting in 1971, HP was measured in net figures, not gross....so it is not a direct apples-to-apples comparison in time, either.
Old 05-18-15, 07:55 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the concept (partially, since I love classic fire-breathing American muscle cars)

First off you have to change the way Americans think about transportation, and so far there is still a major consensus on high performance vehicles with a stupid amount of horsepower, Even the modern average mini van has better trap times compared to (some) old muscle cars back in the day. However this in turn adds heavy regulated safety features and equipment.

Essentially we will have to unlearn what we have learned in order to size down and wise up.
Old 05-18-15, 08:15 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The Illiterate Of The 21st Century Will Not Be Those Who Cannot Read And Write, But Those Who Cannot Learn, Unlearn, And Relearn - Alvin Toffler
Old 05-18-15, 08:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

.... Though horsepower is one of the factors that determines torque,...
MM, You mixed up torque and HP. Torque x RPM = HP. In other words, torque is the basic. The higher the engine engine RPM , the more the HP.
No, I did not mix it up. Horsepower is a measure of unit of work done....the amount of work it takes to lift a 550 lb. weight 1 foot in one second. Torque, though affected by HP, is a different force altogether....a twisting motion, determined by a lever effect. It is what actually comes out the rear of the engine on the output shaft. To simplify it, torque is what accelerates a car; HP determines its top speed.

The correct formula, BTW, is: HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252 (you forgot the 5252 part).

MM, I just want this clarified for anyone looking for information on Torque and HP, and stumbling upon this thread to not be confused. As you can see above (red letters), is confusing. The formula for HP clearly states it to be a function of Torque, but your words state quite the opposite.
Old 05-18-15, 09:52 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=kbb;9042628
If your nut hang low enough, your car won't have to make that statement for you.[/QUOTE]

Well then, forget the statement making GSF and get a Prius.
Old 05-18-15, 12:22 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doge
Lol did you read the text bellow the headline?

You can try and spin it as much as you want. Porsche will do so by implementing new tech. The gs-f is using a decades old engine and trans and its called a new car lol..

Have you seen how much the rc-f weights ?
If the formula works......

I have no problem with old tech. I drive a 92 SC400. I don't ask for more than I need...so I always have enough. Porsche is making newer models....but they're actually shoe-horning the same motors along their product lines/chassis/models......
Old 05-18-15, 01:00 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
If the formula works......

I have no problem with old tech. I drive a 92 SC400. I don't ask for more than I need...so I always have enough. Porsche is making newer models....but they're actually shoe-horning the same motors along their product lines/chassis/models......
For you thats okay, for me thats not okay. I want my money to give me the new newest and best. Thats why I went to Mercedes for a C63 S and not to Lexus.

The Porsche spits out new engines left and right, you may think they are old since its pretty much and h6 each time but they are all new motors.
Old 05-18-15, 01:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MM, I just want this clarified for anyone looking for information on Torque and HP, and stumbling upon this thread to not be confused. As you can see above (red letters), is confusing. The formula for HP clearly states it to be a function of Torque, but your words state quite the opposite.
Actually, no they don't, but I agree this is not the place to keep arguing it. As far as I'm concerned, back to the issue at hand....whether the industry has gone past the point of diminishing returns, as Porsche has suggested. I agree...they have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 01:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Actually, no they don't, but I agree this is not the place to keep arguing it. As far as I'm concerned, back to the issue at hand....whether the industry has gone past the point of diminishing returns, as Porsche has suggested. I agree...they have.
You could address the red letters. Perhaps you are wrong? Wrong it incorrectly? Honestly, I stay away from most of your posts for the exact reasons I just wrote above. From the looks of the red letters, you might be wrong . ....
Old 05-18-15, 01:27 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I have to believe that if anything the HP wars will get more intense instead of less

Now that we are in the turbo era, it is more expectable for manufacturers to beef up inner stuff and dial up boost and keep incrementing their output.

The P car guy can say what he wants but at the end of the day, who believes that the next Bugatti (part of the same VW umbrella P resides in) will have less power than the Veyron.

A lot of this will be forced by McLaren. They are still trying to be a stable company and have taken a build volume through rapid iteration and promoting the mo power is mo better song.
Old 05-18-15, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You could address the red letters. Perhaps you are wrong? Wrong it incorrectly? Honestly, I stay away from most of your posts for the exact reasons I just wrote above. From the looks of the red letters, you might be wrong . ....

I addressed them.....several times. I'm just not going to address them all afternoon...particularly when I've made my point.

With all due respect, whether you comment on my posts or not is your prerogative. I won't get into that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 02:56 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Scumbag Porsche, made a 900hp car, then called an end to HP war.
Old 05-18-15, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
Scumbag Porsche, made a 900hp car, then called an end to HP war.
They probably felt it wasn't worth trying to one-up Bugatti's 1000+.
Old 05-18-15, 03:09 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

They probably felt it wasn't worth trying to one-up Bugatti's 1000+.
Maybe it's VAG that feels Porsche shouldn't cross that line. Whatever the reason is, making a car with that massive horse then come to announce that they will not make a high hp car more than they are currently making is so contradicting themselves.

Quick Reply: Porsche calls for an end to the horsepower wars