Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 6 Hybrid Cars That Pay Back the Soonest

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 01:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Top 6 Hybrid Cars That Pay Back the Soonest

http://www.hybridcars.com/top-6-hybr...kly_newsletter

With the relative decline in U.S. gas prices are hybrid cars still worth the money?

The answer depends on what is important to you, but the top 6 hybrids that pay back any price surcharges the soonest still do so relatively quickly even at today’s prices at the pump.

According to the U.S. EPA, payback for the worst is under three years, and the best is zero years. This is based on $2.66 per gallon estimated for regular fuel, and $3.05 for premium and factoring 15,000 annual miles, 55 percent city, 45 percent highway.

At this writing these fuel prices are precisely in line with AAA’s Fuel Gauge average U.S. gas price report, so the EPA is spot on there.

Another variable that can change the results will be if you load your car up with options. As it is, the federal government compares respective hybrid models with nearest non-hybrid counterparts at base MSRP.

Of course hybrids exist for reasons other than just saving money. Their reduced fuel use is better for energy security, the environment, is convenient when you don’t have to stop to fill up as often, and lower consumption is simply less wasteful. And, it’s a hedge against if fuel prices do go back up.

However, it’s also true not all hybrids do “pencil out” with shorter payback times and relative sales numbers on our monthly sales Dashboard may be a clue as to which are which – but not necessarily. Some of these cars are indeed best sellers and others are just so-so.

As true for any car, your mileage and results may vary but these are as close as possible to apple-to-apple comparisons using only EPA data as the guide.

6. Tie: Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited / XLE Touring – 2.6 years

By EPA reckoning there’s a $1,720 price difference between the hybrid and the non-hybrid 2015 Toyota Avalon Limited trim and XLE Touring trim.

The Avalon’s combined mpg is a case example in efficiency however for Toyota’s full hybrid system which is rated 16 mpg better combined – 40 mpg vs. 24.
At that rate of fuel sipping, the hybrid in Limited and XLE Touring trim accrue $665 in annual fuel savings netting a 2.6-year breakeven point under these ideal world conditions.

Note also the link above to the revised 2016 Avalon.

5. 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium – 2.6 years

Time to pay back is the same as the Avalon’s 2.6 years, but the Ford ranks ahead because the MSRP spread on less-expensive cars is slightly lower at $1,550.

Compared to the 2015 Ford Fusion FWD Titanium four cylinder, mpg spread is 42 combined vs. 26 combined – another stellar example in hybrid efficiency. Annual fuel savings is $585.

4. 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring – 2.1 years

Honda’s Accord hybrid is rated 47 mpg combined which surpasses the 2015 Honda Accord Touring rated at 26 mpg by a substantial 21 mpg.

Price spread for similarly equipped cars says the EPA is $1,425. Annual fuel savings is $686 and it takes just 2.1 years at that rate to break even.

3. 2015 Toyota Prius Liftback Two – 2 years*

*Put a big asterisk on this comparison because the government matches it to a simalarly sized but quite different 2015 Toyota Camry LE.

This is the least similar matchup but the brand is the same, utility probably close, and the Prius gets 50 mpg next to the Camry’s 28 mpg.
The MSRP difference is just $1,230 and with annual fuel savings of $627 it takes 2 years to pay back.

2. Tie: Buick LaCrosse eAssist and Regal eAssist – 0 years

These mild hybrids are sold at no extra charge.

The EPA rates them number one on its list, but the mpg spread is less substantial than our number one, so we’re bumping them to number two.

Specifically, the 2015 Buick LaCrosse eAssist is rated 29 mpg, and the 2015 Buick LaCrosse is rated 21. Annual fuel savings is estimated at $524.

The 2015 Buick Regal eAssist is rated 29 mpg also, and the 2015 Buick Regal is rated 23. Annual fuel saving is estimated at $359.

1. 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid – 0 years

Hurray for Ford and its Lincoln division which offers the MKZ Hybrid at the same MSRP as the 2015 Lincoln MKZ FWD.

This is a full hybrid system sharing components with the Fusion Hybrid and rated substantially higher at 40 mpg combined next to 26 mpg for the non-hybrid MKZ.

Annual fuel savings is $537 and regardless whether your results exactly match the EPA’s, whatever the savings are, you can put it straight in your pocket.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-16-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you imagine how many more ESh units Lexus would move if there wasn't a premium over the 350! As it stands the gap is far more palatable than the NX, RX, GS and LS hybrid models vs respective counterparts.
Old 05-16-15, 03:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the ESh have one of the smallest "hybrid premium" of any Lexus models?
Old 05-16-15, 05:03 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Doesn't the ESh have one of the smallest "hybrid premium" of any Lexus models?
Yessir, though I hinted at that in my above response.
Old 05-16-15, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Can you imagine how many more ESh units Lexus would move if there wasn't a premium over the 350!
Yet, one of the ES's competitors, the Lincoln MKZ, sells the gas and hybrid MKZ at the same base price (no premium), and both lag far behind any ES sales.
Old 05-17-15, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yet, one of the ES's competitors, the Lincoln MKZ, sells the gas and hybrid MKZ at the same base price (no premium), and both lag far behind any ES sales.
Its all in a name
Old 05-17-15, 04:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Yessir, though I hinted at that in my above response.
In the hybrid-loving west coast, I rarely see an ESh (2 so far?). In fact, I haven't seen very many of the current generation ES. I still see lots of 3rd gens in comparison. CTh and RXh are more popular.
Old 05-17-15, 09:35 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Nextourer
In the hybrid-loving west coast, I rarely see an ESh (2 so far?). In fact, I haven't seen very many of the current generation ES. I still see lots of 3rd gens in comparison. CTh and RXh are more popular.
Plenty here in the Bay Area. Do you guys probably get a decent amount of snow in BC? If so i'm not surprised the ES wouldn't be as popular.
Old 05-17-15, 10:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Car & Driver and MT also did a similar payback comparison not too long ago. I recall reading most paybacks didn't occur until 4-6 years of ownership. Hmmm.
Old 05-18-15, 03:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Plenty here in the Bay Area. Do you guys probably get a decent amount of snow in BC? If so i'm not surprised the ES wouldn't be as popular.
The complex terrain makes that hard to respond lol. Some parts of BC get a lot of snow, others are in the rain shadow so it depends on the low pressure system as to whether it snows in the valleys. Coastal areas tend not to since the water moderate temperatures and keep it as rain (much like western WA). It's inland where you're more likely to see snow.

It's possible people are flocking to the IS because it offers AWD. And now that the IS is larger than before, it's not as cramped if used as a family car.
Old 05-18-15, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Car & Driver and MT also did a similar payback comparison not too long ago. I recall reading most paybacks didn't occur until 4-6 years of ownership. Hmmm.
The way gas prices, at the pumps, go up and down like a yo-yo, at least here in the U.S., makes any meaningful long-term predictions of that payback time difficult to forecast.