Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 11:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

2016 Mustang vs Camaro sales, not pretty for Camaro

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-camaros-year/
Old 06-23-16, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. A friend of mine just got a 2016 Camaro SS and another a 2015 Mustang GT with stage 1 Roush (maybe 20hp over the standard 5.0) with only 700 miles. Guy bought it then traded it back for a F-250. Both are beasts!

The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are America’s 15th, 26th, and 28th best-selling passenger cars, respectively, so far this year. The Mustang outsells the Kia Optima and Volkswagen Jetta, the Camaro outsells the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and is within striking distance of the Chrysler 200, and the Challenger leads Chrysler’s own 300 as well as the Volkswagen Passat, BMW 3-Series, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Legacy, and Honda Fit.
Pony car, sport car, muscle car.. whatever you want to call them these days, they're alive and well
Old 06-23-16, 01:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
2016 Mustang vs Camaro sales, not pretty for Camaro

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-camaros-year/
strange how GM doesn't do the rental fleet stuff anymore.
Old 06-23-16, 03:32 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
strange how GM doesn't do the rental fleet stuff anymore.
Mustang is taking over the rental fleet.
Old 06-23-16, 05:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Mustang is taking over the rental fleet.
If you read the article, even without rental sales, the Mustang is outselling the Camaro by a healthy margin to actual customers. Even the Challenger sold more cars than the Camaro one month, and that has never been a very high volume seller.

Really I blame GM for making the 2016 car look just like the 2015 car. Because of that, they didn't fix the one big gripe everybody had with the old car, you can't see out of it. Coupes are sold on image, if the new model looks just like the old model, nobody is going to buy it.
Old 06-23-16, 07:30 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you read the article, even without rental sales, the Mustang is outselling the Camaro by a healthy margin to actual customers. Even the Challenger sold more cars than the Camaro one month, and that has never been a very high volume seller.

Really I blame GM for making the 2016 car look just like the 2015 car. Because of that, they didn't fix the one big gripe everybody had with the old car, you can't see out of it. Coupes are sold on image, if the new model looks just like the old model, nobody is going to buy it.
I simply just pointed out the fact that Mustang is taking over the fleet sales. Yes, this gen is so good, it even outsold German sportscars in Germany.
Old 06-23-16, 08:53 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting because the new Camaro seems to have generally positive reviews. I find the design to be good but I like the Mustang better. The Mustang will age well whereas I don't think the Camaro will with all its creases and curves in random locations throughout the body.

I have never cared for the modern muscle cars (always found them to be crappy with suspect build quality and cheap interiors) but I've spent some time with the new Mustang and came away impressed. It has a beautiful fastback shape and the interior isn't too shabby either. If I weren't such a snob for luxury sport sedans and coupes I would certainly consider buying one. It looks great in blue.

Next vacation I go on I'm gonna try to rent a Mustang convertible lol.
Old 06-24-16, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Ford really took the new Mustang in a more modern, attractive direction, upgraded the interior and significantly improved the driving dynamics. Chevrolet did not move forward, with the exception of interior materials. Potential buyers noticed. I would probably never consider either, but if I did it would be the Mustang in a heartbeat.
Old 06-24-16, 08:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think Ford really took the new Mustang in a more modern, attractive direction, upgraded the interior and significantly improved the driving dynamics. Chevrolet did not move forward, with the exception of interior materials. Potential buyers noticed. I would probably never consider either, but if I did it would be the Mustang in a heartbeat.
I'd have to disagree. Apart from the interior and driving dynamics you mentioned, there are new powertrains to align with the Mustang ie 2.0T. Camaro features MacPherson struts replacing the multi-link setup, and the vehicle is lighter too.

It could be just as simple as black and white. Ford vs Chevy, and the majority just prefer the Mustang right now despite the redesign. Perhaps the Mustangs transition from 2014 to 2015 vs the Camaro's 2015 to 2016 is still more significant. Or despite the fact that both have long standing histories, the Mustang's name seems to echo louder. Either way both latest iterations are bound to provide smiles for miles
Old 06-24-16, 08:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

camaro is significantly more expensive than a mustang, thats another problem. I dont get why its so pricey when it uses existing major components like the ATS chassis and vette engine. Mustang is its own platform yet a lot cheaper
Old 06-27-16, 10:26 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

For me, if we're talking 60's, my loyalty lies with the GM(specifically the Firebird rather than the Camaro), but in these modern toys, the Mustang has my heart.
Old 07-15-16, 06:06 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

First Bagged and Boosted GT350. Wow this thing is clean!!

http://www.streetracemag.com/enterta...boosted-gt350/
Old 07-15-16, 12:24 PM
Hoovey689

Mmm Procharged!
Old 07-16-16, 07:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
the camaro got a brand new platform (based off cadillac ats) improving driving dynamics significantly, so i'd say they definitely did 'move forward'. the looks? not so much, although somewhat improved.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd have to disagree. Apart from the interior and driving dynamics you mentioned, there are new powertrains to align with the Mustang ie 2.0T. Camaro features MacPherson struts replacing the multi-link setup, and the vehicle is lighter too.
aren't macpherson struts inferior to a multi-link setup? or maybe the former is better for handling but not necessarily ride?
Old 07-16-16, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
aren't macpherson struts inferior to a multi-link setup? or maybe the former is better for handling but not necessarily ride?
That's the general consensus.

Advantages of multi-link suspension

Multi-link suspension allows the auto designer the ability to incorporate both good ride and good handling in the same vehicle.

In its simplest form, multi-link suspension is orthogonal—i.e., it is possible to alter one parameter in the suspension at a time, without affecting anything else. This is in direct contrast to a double wishbone suspension, where moving a hardpoint or changing a bushing compliance will affect two or more parameters.

Advantages also extend to off-road driving. A multi-link suspension allows the vehicle to flex more; this means simply that the suspension is able to move more easily to conform to the varying angles of off-road driving. Multi-link-equipped vehicles are ideally suited for sports such as desert racing.[citation needed] In desert racing, the use of a good sway bar is needed to counter body roll.

Source
Advantages of MacPherson strut

Although it is a popular choice, due to its simplicity and low manufacturing cost, the design has a few disadvantages in the quality of ride and the handling of the car. Geometric analysis shows it cannot allow vertical movement of the wheel without some degree of either camber angle change, sideways movement, or both. It is not generally considered to give as good handling as a double wishbone or multi-link suspension, because it allows the engineers less freedom to choose camber change and roll center.

Despite these drawbacks, the MacPherson strut setup is still used on high performance cars such as the Porsche 911, several Mercedes-Benz models and lower BMWs models (including the new Mini but excluding the 2007 X5,[16] 2009 7-series, 2011 5-series and 5-series GT).

Source
The 911 which is considered the pinnacle of sports cars uses MacPherson despite the 'draw backs'. GM probably isn't too worried about it with the Camaro, especially models equipped with MRC. I haven't driven the new 2016 yet, but it is likely superior to the outgoing model.

Quick Reply: 2016 Ford Mustang