Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 10:06 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me how you would react to the dealer if you were in my shoes, cause if my order was for pretty much anything else I would have pulled chocks come time ago on my order for a GT350.

I am stationed overseas right now. Not a deployment, just working out forward. So pretty much all my (or lack there of as you will see) communications with the dealer has had to be via email.

Back in August I wrote to a dealer back home asking about the GT350 and was told they still had 3 orders available, with an estimated build time of early next year, possibly around new years. I submitted an order along with the deposit.

Over last couple months now I have had almost no luck getting any info from them. I first wrote to just follow up on the order. After a week I finally heard back from a different salesman. Since then I have tried to update the order (color and package changes), but I can't get this guy to write back. I've emailed him countless times, left voicemails on his desk phone and cell (he has yet to actually answer any direct calls) called the dealership and spoke to managers directly (got hung up twice while on hold after talking to them) and am still not sure what the status of my order is. last I heard from him he said they could update it, asked if I wanted, but never confirmed it. With the build time closing I want to make sure I am getting the car built the way I want it, but I just don't know. They won't answer or call me back.

Like I said if this was any other car I would have just canceled weeks ago, am now wondering just how important getting this car to me is, because I can just go to the military auto source office here and get a fully loaded GT for well under MSRP. Hell they sold a loaded up 51k SRT Challenger for only 45k.
Old 11-25-15, 09:34 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fastdak25,
Thanks for serving. Anyway how did you put your deposit down? CC or cash? Going via the military is not a bad way to go. I'd do it. If this is their "service" imagine after you buy it.
Old 11-25-15, 02:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 11-26-15, 11:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

DAAMMNN!!! How did I miss this. I have actually been waiting for this. Thanks for sharing bud!!
Old 11-27-15, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

haven't watched that video but the 2016 camaro is obviously a WHOLE lot better.
Old 11-27-15, 09:41 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Randy's demeanor. Reminds me of past range masters in my case. Conversational but his mind is always on the students driving, technique( "watching your eye's in the corner") and always scanning ahead, listening to the engine revs, speed going into corners and so on. Hat's off to the true professionals out there.

That Mustang!! Wooowee!
Old 11-27-15, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

stupid video and could have been half the length to show the mustang trounces the camaro.
Old 11-27-15, 11:44 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I also thought the Camaro would win but i'm glad the Mustang Won. I recently shopped both these cars, and the Camaro is so painfully awful in the interior and nasty visibility. The Mustang hands-down fits me like a glove and i'm 6'4". Visibility was very good almost like sitting in my GS. lol I love the Mustang interior a lot and especially I like the AC Seats.. Overall the Mustang has the better package and that the GT350R just made Ford King of the Hill, well at least of a year or two until Chevy comes out with an 8 Liter or something stupid..

This GT350 R is probably the best Mustang ever.. (I've never owned a Mustang and maybe this would be a good first Mustang to own, even a regular Mustang GT is nice in my book) and I've always been a GM guy owning Camaros, Trans am and Vettes before going Lexus.
Old 11-27-15, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
stupid video and could have been half the length to show the mustang trounces the camaro.
Agreed. And not to mention a couple of clowns behind the wheel.

Given the Shelby's road manners in the twisties and its better-engineered electric power steering, I can understand them picking it from a purely drivers' point of view. But, given the torque characteristics of those two engines, the Camaro probably should have won the drag race. Methinks the guy may either have not launched it to its full potential, or didn't shift it at its max-torque RPM.

And, most important of all, IMO, in this two-member comparo, they completely forgot somebody..............

Old 11-27-15, 04:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, most important of all, IMO, in this two-member comparo, they completely forgot somebody..............
Well unless it's a Hellcat, it doesn't present much of a Challenge(r) to the aforementioned pony cars
Old 11-27-15, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well unless it's a Hellcat, it doesn't present much of a Challenge(r) to the aforementioned pony cars
That usually can't be determined without an actual test. Otherwise, it's just guesswork.
Old 11-27-15, 06:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The pony car wars are alive and well once again.
Old 11-27-15, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The pony car wars are alive and well once again.
I'll never forget the absolutely pathetic Pinto-based Mustang II of the mid-1970s. Even the top-level Cobra 5.0L V8 ran all of 134 HP....when the smog-choked carburators of the time would run at all without staling or stumbling. Dodge and Plymouth had dropped the Barracuda and Challenger altogether (the Challenger, of course, would return decades later). The AMC Javelin and AMX had also been dropped. The Mercury Cougar had become a luxury coupe. Chevy's Camaro was better-done than the Mustang then, but not much. At the time, only the Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am (which won fame in the Smokey and the Bandit film) could lay any claim as being anywhere near a true pony car, in the spirit of is predecessors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 07:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That usually can't be determined without an actual test. Otherwise, it's just guesswork.
The Challenger is the oldest chassis and heaviest of the three. A sledgehammer on a straightaway in SRT or Hellcat form sure, but the Shelby GT350R and Camaro Z/28 were honed on the track.
Old 11-27-15, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Challenger is the oldest chassis and heaviest of the three. A sledgehammer on a straightaway in SRT or Hellcat form sure, but the Shelby GT350R and Camaro Z/28 were honed on the track.
One of the points the narrator in the video was making was that, regardless of the track handling, whatever won the test would have to win the drag-race (the Mustang won, despite its higher-RPM engine and more peaky torque curve). That's what makes me think that the guy driving the Camaro may not (?) have launched it properly...both the Camaro and the Challenger's bigger powerplants and low-RPM torque should be able to handle the Mustang in a straight line. I agree, though, that the Challenger's sheer size and bulk could be a factor.

Quick Reply: 2016 Ford Mustang