Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi

Old 05-15-15, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is pretty mediocre vehicle with bad quality (fit/finish, materials and reliability) and highest price. There is no way they could have scored it better than 4th.

Yes, it looks great but thats not enough for magazine doing comparos to it well.
The RR is also clearly the best off-road, but, of course, that only covers about 5% or so of actual SUV use.

There's no question, though...........the Escalade deserved to win the test. It is, hands-down, the best one for day-to-day use....and, of course, if desired, it is available (as is also the Navigator) in the even larger ESV size, comparable in length to a Suburban or Yukon XL.
Old 05-15-15, 05:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes I am serious. Its better than nothing and at least Lexus did something to the 4.6 to find some extra HP.

Lexus/Toyota has not done anything to the 3.5 for 11 MY years the Tacoma 4.0 for 11 MY years, the 2.5V6 for 10 MY years and I could go on. Its unacceptable IMO.

The LX is a really dated machine that should of been upgraded a long long time ago.
i don't deny that some of the engines could have used updates for a while

but if you call the gs350 from 303 to 306hp, and the ls460 from 380 to 386hp an update, that's probably one of the most ridiculous things to say. just engine variations and other factors alone would yield these. it's nothing more than a meaningless paper statement. but looks like you are buying into it
Old 05-15-15, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

but if you call the gs350 from 303 to 306hp, and the ls460 from 380 to 386hp an update, that's probably one of the most ridiculous things to say. just engine variations and other factors alone would yield these. it's nothing more than a meaningless paper statement. but looks like you are buying into it
Agreed. The range of error (or envelope) in the dynos themselves, from things such as air temperature/pressure/density, and production tolerances in the engines themselves, can explain very minor variations like that.

And, not only that, but minor production tolerances in the transmission, drive line, and differentials can also determine just how much of that HP/Torque reaches the drive-wheels.
Old 05-15-15, 07:40 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont know why people keep on saying that the Range Rover is good looking and luxurious? To me every model in Land Rovers lineup all look the same to me. Its just not my taste. I would never buy one even if they somehow made it reliable. And the interior to me looks kinda bland. I think Mecedes Interiors notably the S class and C class look way better. Even porshe makes better interiors. RR interior is boring to me.
Old 05-15-15, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I dont know why people keep on saying that the Range Rover is good looking and luxurious? To me every model in Land Rovers lineup all look the same to me. Its just not my taste. I would never buy one even if they somehow made it reliable. And the interior to me looks kinda bland. I think Mecedes Interiors notably the S class and C class look way better. Even porshe makes better interiors. RR interior is boring to me.
i am with you, i have been in RR and i don't think it's pretty either

but then it's all subjective, if they sell then probably there is something people like about
Old 05-15-15, 09:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The RR is also clearly the best off-road, but, of course, that only covers about 5% or so of actual SUV use.

There's no question, though...........the Escalade deserved to win the test. It is, hands-down, the best one for day-to-day use....and, of course, if desired, it is available (as is also the Navigator) in the even larger ESV size, comparable in length to a Suburban or Yukon XL.
The Escaalde also deserves some extra points as it is a full redesign where as the LX is just a year old than the last gen GM full sizers.
Old 05-15-15, 09:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't deny that some of the engines could have used updates for a while

By now the 5.7 in the LX should have DI. Cylinder deactivation. Heck an 8 speed?

Perhaps the LX could of done something? Anything? To the 5.7...
Old 05-15-15, 09:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yup, LX and CT are the only ones that have yet to get it. The CT is somewhat understandable being an entry level (though it should still be an option), LX on the other hand, for a $90K luxury flagship, its rather inappropriate not to offer it
The CT should have it. Does the Prius have it? As for the LX, totally inappropriate I agree
Old 05-15-15, 10:31 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
fact state that outside the looks, it is pretty mediocre vehicle with bad quality (fit/finish, materials and reliability) and highest price. There is no way they could have scored it better than 4th.

Yes, it looks great but thats not enough for magazine doing comparos to it well.
Maybe you can fool some of the people some of the time..but not all of them. Sales figures tell the tale and more astute, repeat and new buyers seem to know this. It's dying a slow death.
Old 05-16-15, 03:24 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing about the RR is it has one of the highest repeat buyer percentages in the industry and one of the highest annual income of buyers -- check automotive news. This is why Bentley, Lamboand Rolls, etc. are trying to get into this market.

I'm a repeat buyer (not lessor) and wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Now driving the 2011 out of warranty with no issues similar to (previous ones). Fact remains that there is less than one problem between the first and last place manufacturers in the JD Power dependability study. In the 90s the ratio was around 4 or 5.

It's also telling that for years the RR has single handily outsold the land Cruiser/LX470 twins and the G class combined in the U.S even though the Land Cruiser/LX470 twins are supposedly reliability wonders of the eight world...hmmm
Old 05-16-15, 08:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Maybe you can fool some of the people some of the time..but not all of them. Sales figures tell the tale and more astute, repeat and new buyers seem to know this. It's dying a slow death.
If you're saying the RR is dying a slow death, you couldn't be more wrong. They can't keep them in stock. Honestly, it's crazy there's still waiting lists for them.
Old 05-16-15, 08:05 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Hold on KWR. From appearances and with no other metric I've observed a local mechanic shop that repairs all the top British, German and Italian wonder cars & SUVs. By a 3-1 margin I see RR in the front parking lot to either waiting to be repaired or finished being repaired. Now I KNOW that's not a sound way to judge a vehicle but that always made me wonder. If I were a betting man I'd give a few more chips to Lexus than RR.
Old 05-16-15, 08:08 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
If you're saying the RR is dying a slow death, you couldn't be more wrong. They can't keep them in stock. Honestly, it's crazy there's still waiting lists for them.
No, no, no. I was referring to the LX. I SEE RR all over the place. With their recent mini/medium SUV they seem to have a hit on their hands.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 05-16-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 10:09 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
No, no, no. I was referring to the LX. I SEE RR all over the place. With their recent mini/medium SUV they seem to have a hit on their hands.
I retract my statement then. My bad.
Old 05-16-15, 11:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
By now the 5.7 in the LX should have DI. Cylinder deactivation. Heck an 8 speed?

Perhaps the LX could of done something? Anything? To the 5.7...
Standard TRD supercharger Perhaps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi