Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi

Old 05-12-15, 02:05 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you noticed in the article, three things saved the Navigator from last place: A relatively bargain price for what you got, a well-done drivetrain, and good utility inside.

BTW, I fully agree with the Escalade taking first. GM has been on a roll lately, and this is one of their best examples, especially compared to the very poorly-done 1Gen Escalade. But the Escalade still isn't perfect.....I'd toss both the CUE system and the console finger-slide controls. Unfortunately, both have become a hallmark of new Caddy interiors.

While all seem to hate it, all Brands are following, with BMW, Audi and Lexus. It is the future, and Cadillac was again first. Maybe other brands will have better implementation, as with many things GM came first to market, but other implemented better.
Old 05-12-15, 02:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I am surprised that the Range Rover didn't do better as well but it sounds like quality was the main factor, which they should be able to fix by second model year. I have seen a few Escalades on the road and they do look good. My personal favorite is the GL and RR
LR has been fixing its quality problems for decades... brand new vehicle squeaking all over with, relatively poor materials, engine that does not feel good... only good point is the looks.
Old 05-12-15, 03:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I really dislike MotorTrend comparison tests these days. In any event, I'm curious as to why they tested the Escalade Platinum but didn't try to get a Mercedes GL550 w/Designo interior. The GL550 would've likely would've been just as fast, if not faster, and been its match in with upgraded interior materials.
I know you are MB fan, but if you actually read the review completely you will see that they liked MB powertrain the best of them all - so choice of powertrain was actually good... And interior is dated - just compare it to S class interior. It looks like it is designed 15 years ago, nicer leather would not change that.

I cant believe that MB is not utilizing C/S class interior design more... GL also gets old interior.
Old 05-12-15, 04:46 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
LR has been fixing its quality problems for decades... brand new vehicle squeaking all over with, relatively poor materials, engine that does not feel good... only good point is the looks.
The supercharged 3.0 V6 JLR uses is so compromised it's not even funny. The block is actually the same size as the V8, believe it or not. Can't wait until the Ingenium I6 gets here.

Originally Posted by kwr
This is a "base" model comparison test. The Designo interior upgrade is unavailable for the GL450. Similar to the GL, the autobiography interior upgrade on the RR is unavailable on the "base" V6. The Escalade tested should have been the non-Platinum interior upgrade to be fair.

I'd still take the RR WITH a V8 or the ancient, but still good looking G- Wagen over the rest.
If this was a base level comparison, the Escalade wouldn't have been the top level Platinum level. Also, you can absolutely get the Designo interior upgrade on the GL450. Likely Mercedes just didn't send them one or they didn't ask for it.

I know you are MB fan, but if you actually read the review completely you will see that they liked MB powertrain the best of them all - so choice of powertrain was actually good... And interior is dated - just compare it to S class interior. It looks like it is designed 15 years ago, nicer leather would not change that.

I cant believe that MB is not utilizing C/S class interior design more... GL also gets old interior.
I know they did, but the GL550 would've still been faster. And of course the GL interior is dated in comparison to the C/S interior, it was designed a generation before them. The GL was the last of Peter Pfeiffer designs...it gets a facelift next year but won't be moving to the new design language until 2018 when it'll turn into more of a ultra-lux RR competitor.

Just would've preferred a more apples to apples comparison, although I know they're at the mercy of the manufacturer fleet. And for the record, I have other problems with MotorTrend's comparisons over the last year or two. Their most recent minivan comparison in particular was poorly done.
Old 05-12-15, 07:09 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TangoRed
If this was a base level comparison, the Escalade wouldn't have been the top level Platinum level. Also, you can absolutely get the Designo interior upgrade on the GL450. Likely Mercedes just didn't send them one or they didn't ask for it.

Just would've preferred a more apples to apples comparison, although I know they're at the mercy of the manufacturer fleet. And for the record, I have other problems with MotorTrend's comparisons over the last year or two. Their most recent minivan comparison in particular was poorly done.
The Infinifi and LX570 do not have upgraded interior options like the Escalade, RR and Benz. Both the LX and QX come fairly standard. Of course RR and Benz are the only two available with upgraded engines. Again the base engine in a RR is a V6. For '16 there are 4 options: 2 V6s (340 and 380 hp) and 2 V8s (510 and 550 hp). For these reasons this was a base comparison test and the non-platinum version of the Escalade should have been provided for an apples to apples comparison.

Looks like you can only order the Designo steering wheel on the GL450 based on MBUSA. You have to step up to the GL550 for the full Designo upgrade.
Old 05-12-15, 07:46 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
The Infinifi and LX570 do not have upgraded interior options like the Escalade, RR and Benz. Both the LX and QX come fairly standard. Of course RR and Benz are the only two available with upgraded engines. Again the base engine in a RR is a V6. For '16 there are 4 options: 2 V6s (340 and 380 hp) and 2 V8s (510 and 550 hp). For these reasons this was a base comparison test and the non-platinum version of the Escalade should have been provided for an apples to apples comparison.
The Infiniti QX80 is available in Limited form which comes with the interior package, so it does have an upgrade available (engine aside). See below:

In any event, yes a non-Platinum Escalade would've solved the issue.

Originally Posted by kwr
Looks like you can only order the Designo steering wheel on the GL450 based on MBUSA. You have to step up to the GL550 for the full Designo upgrade.
Look at the last 3 interior color options for the GL450. You'll see by selecting them you'll add $4800 for the Designo interior.
Old 05-12-15, 09:21 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That's a funny review when another recent MT reviewer talked about not getting the point of the LX570 at first, then gushing all about it by the ending paragraph. Too bad there's no Q7 or GL diesel in there, in my opinion the smoky stuff is the only fuel that belongs in a huge SUV.
Old 05-12-15, 09:51 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Keep in mind the LX interior is basically the same interior since the vehicle was first unveiled at the New York motor show in 2007 with only minor tweaks since then. For MY2016 the LX is supposed to get an upgraded interior....can't wait to see how that turns out.
Old 05-12-15, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nice article, good comparison imho.
Old 05-13-15, 12:12 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a MB fan and I'm surprised how highly they ranked it, gladly surprised. Same with the LX. Shows how good and capable those two SUVs are. RR is so overrated by the press, it's laughable. The latest Escalade truly is a great vehicle, and I'm glad it's getting the recognition.
Old 05-13-15, 08:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
. RR is so overrated by the press, it's laughable. The latest Escalade truly is a great vehicle, and I'm glad it's getting the recognition.
I disagree, the RR is probably the most prestigious as a status symbol or it is a toss up with the Escalade.
Old 05-13-15, 11:01 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! My kinda vehicle!
Seriously though I saw one in my company parking lot and it still looked good. Kinda peaked quickly in the interior and granted it was a bit dated but overall aesthetic wise looked good. Not sure if I need something that large but who knows. Might get it in the future.
Just read UZJ100GR comment that Lexus may upgrade the 2016. Looking forward to it.
Also a hat tip to Cadillac improving and keeping up with the limes of MB & Lexus.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 05-13-15 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-14-15, 04:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Ha! My kinda vehicle!
Seriously though I saw one in my company parking lot and it still looked good. Kinda peaked quickly in the interior and granted it was a bit dated but overall aesthetic wise looked good. Not sure if I need something that large but who knows. Might get it in the future.
Just read UZJ100GR comment that Lexus may upgrade the 2016. Looking forward to it.
Also a hat tip to Cadillac improving and keeping up with the limes of MB & Lexus.
it is fine to like ML of course, I am sure it is a great car (finished 2nd here!!!), but there is no doubt that its interior design is dated and nowhere as contemporary as S and C class interiors which are market leading interiors.
Old 05-14-15, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree, the RR is probably the most prestigious as a status symbol or it is a toss up with the Escalade.
Yes, the RR a status symbol, but there is also another notorious side to them:

Old 05-14-15, 10:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the RR a status symbol, but there is also another notorious side to them:

Yes repairs do happen more frequently. But the RR is the type of SUV that you would want to change up or upgrade every four years or so when the warranty is finished.

Most owners I know change them up frequently. The LX on the owner hand has a loyal long term owner base.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi