Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi

Old 05-11-15, 11:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi

Read full story here.... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_luxury_suvs/

6th Place: Infiniti QX80
When you factor in worst in test fuel economy, a cramped third row, and those awkward looks, you have a big SUV that only one of us loved.

5th Place: Lincoln Navigator
Although it's cheaper than the others, it's not nearly as luxurious. We love the powertrain and the 'Gator's utility.

4th Place: Land Rover Range Rover HSE
Gorgeous truck, Gerry McGovern be praised. But the suspect build quality and pricey everything else leaves us cold.

3rd Place: Lexus LX 570
Old age and treachery get some respect! Not ideal for all owners, but there's something uniquely desirable about Lexus' go-anywhere bruiser.

2nd Place: Mercedes-Benz GL450
Our former SUV of the Year is starting to show signs of age. Still, the GL remains one of the smartest SUVs you can buy.

1st Place: Cadillac Escalade Platinum
The best looking, the best interior, the best sounding, and the quickest in our test. The Cadillac Escalade Platinum stole our hearts.
Old 05-11-15, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

True, bigger SUVs exist (Chevy Suburban, Ford Expedition EL, GMC Yukon XL, Toyota Sequoia, just to name a few), but they don't have the levels of luxury found on these near enough to full-size, leather-stuffed people-movers.
They made a significant error in this sentence. They say that the even larger SUVs don't have the same luxury-levels found in the ones they tested. That's incorrect in two cases.....the Escalade ESV and Navigator L are both available in the same extended-wheelbase length as the Suburban and Expedition EL, with, of course, more luxury inside.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-15 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 12:27 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Qatar the LX 570 is probably the second most popular vehicle on the roads after the Land Cruiser. You see them all around you at every street, ever corner, every red light.
You should see how some people here drive the LX 570 off road, they show no mercy and the LX just takes it like its nothing. Not surprising of course as it is a Lexus Land Cruiser.

Looking forward to the 2016 LX 570 update.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-11-15 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 03:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I found it surprising that LX finished so well, usually older they are, worse they are ranked. I remember that few years back, QX beat LX in few direct comparos, interesting that they changed this so much now. Good job LX
Old 05-11-15, 03:40 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
In Qatar the LX 570 is probably the second most popular vehicle on the roads after the Land Cruiser. You see them all around you at every street, ever corner, every red light.
You should see how some people here drive the LX 570 off road, they show no mercy and the LX just takes it like its nothing. Not surprising of course as it is a Lexus Land Cruiser.

Looking forward to the 2016 LX 570 update.
In Cambodia as well. LC/LX are probably the most popular SUV dues to poor road condition and culture of having big family. Range Rover comes in a distant 2nd.
Old 05-11-15, 03:43 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the Range Rover over the rest anyday, and can't believe Navigator got to 5th place instead of dead last.
Old 05-11-15, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I would take the Range Rover over the rest anyday, and can't believe Navigator got to 5th place instead of dead last.
If you noticed in the article, three things saved the Navigator from last place: A relatively bargain price for what you got, a well-done drivetrain, and good utility inside.

BTW, I fully agree with the Escalade taking first. GM has been on a roll lately, and this is one of their best examples, especially compared to the very poorly-done 1Gen Escalade. But the Escalade still isn't perfect.....I'd toss both the CUE system and the console finger-slide controls. Unfortunately, both have become a hallmark of new Caddy interiors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 05:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I am surprised that the Range Rover didn't do better as well but it sounds like quality was the main factor, which they should be able to fix by second model year. I have seen a few Escalades on the road and they do look good. My personal favorite is the GL and RR

Last edited by RXSF; 05-11-15 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 06:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Guess I agree. I like the all around monitor of the QX80, that's about it. I love the Navigator but its not luxurious enough, hopefully when Lincoln wakes up the next one will have more differentiation than the Expedition. Range Rover is a gamble, beautiful but costly. Congrats to the LX, very curious to see the updates this year. GL one of my favorite large luxury SUVs, does a lot well. Congrats to Cadillac, Escalade is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 05-11-15, 07:31 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked out a Range Rover at a recent auto show and wasn't too impressed with the materials or build quality.

It's a really good looking SUV though, but yeah quality would be a concern. Squeaky interior bits and odd material choices are one thing, but how all this unproven mechanical components will age is a big question mark for the Range Rover.
Old 05-11-15, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I checked out a Range Rover at a recent auto show and wasn't too impressed with the materials or build quality.

It's a really good looking SUV though, but yeah quality would be a concern. Squeaky interior bits and odd material choices are one thing, but how all this unproven mechanical components will age is a big question mark for the Range Rover.
RRs seem especially vulnerable to electrical and hardware malfunctions.
Old 05-11-15, 10:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I really dislike MotorTrend comparison tests these days. In any event, I'm curious as to why they tested the Escalade Platinum but didn't try to get a Mercedes GL550 w/Designo interior. The GL550 would've likely would've been just as fast, if not faster, and been its match in with upgraded interior materials.
Old 05-11-15, 10:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

A decent review of all the vehicles. I don't think the Nav really belongs in this comparo. The Cadillac on the other hand directly competes with all the other nameplates.

Not much of a fan of the Infiniti, MB, or RR.

As a former LX owner, I have a soft spot for it but the recipe for the LX is really out of date. All the off road credentials are nice but it is probably time to move on to a independent rear and a proper rear hatch.

If I were looking for a full size, I'd probably get the Escalade.
Old 05-12-15, 12:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

someone i know just got an escalade and is ecstatic. i took a look at it, and it's one impressive vehicle.
Old 05-12-15, 02:02 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I really dislike MotorTrend comparison tests these days. In any event, I'm curious as to why they tested the Escalade Platinum but didn't try to get a Mercedes GL550 w/Designo interior. The GL550 would've likely would've been just as fast, if not faster, and been its match in with upgraded interior materials.
This is a "base" model comparison test. The Designo interior upgrade is unavailable for the GL450. Similar to the GL, the autobiography interior upgrade on the RR is unavailable on the "base" V6. The Escalade tested should have been the non-Platinum interior upgrade to be fair.

I'd still take the RR WITH a V8 or the ancient, but still good looking G- Wagen over the rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MT Large Luxury SUV test: LX570, Escalade, GL450, Range Rover, QX80, Navi