Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lentz on Lexus: Few Regrets

Old 05-16-15, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Outside of a typically nice Lexus paint job and the superb NuLuxe upholstery (which is arguably the best leather-imitation I've ever seen), the CT, both inside and out, does not strike me as much of a "luxury" hatchback. It suffers from road noise, a fairly stiff ride, so-so dash and panel trim, and a general lack of refinement. In my opinion, it is more of a Toyota than a Lexus....though there is no question that it has sold well under the Lexus nameplate.
I would agree. I have owned one myself. I do not think that it deserves the Lexus badge.
Old 05-16-15, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoveCT
All qualitative terms. The lack of refinements, noisy and stiff ride you mention is what the outside world calls sporty. Your refinements are basically insulating outside world and deliberately making vague drive and road feel. ES and RX are epitome of that and so are other traditional Lexii models. I'd hazard that you wouldn't like the NX or RC-F either. CT was the first foray by Lexus in trying to shake that image in mass production vehicles and providing an upscale Prius that looked sporty and had much better suspension. By the way, Avalon and ES should have exchanged places as Avalon has better luxury and proper stitches compared to ES's injection moulding cover with machine faux stitching. No? The 2015 updated Toyota Sienna in Limited premium trim approaches Lexus quality. Look the difference is confusing at times.

You basically are the traditional Lexus clientèle that Lexus is trying to alienate in going forward and I don't necessarily like that. Neither does Lentz.
I disagree with you. The Avalon and the ES should not switch places, the Avalon is a nice car but it is still truly not a luxury car. Its a premium car.
Old 05-16-15, 11:18 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree with you. The Avalon and the ES should not switch places, the Avalon is a nice car but it is still truly not a luxury car. Its a premium car.
Please explain. It is more premium than ES in some ways at least. Where does the ES beat the Avalon? Drive feel? Hardly any difference. How is an RC-F a Lexus in that terms? It is harsh, lots of noise and uncomfortable to sit.
I'll tell you why CT is Lexus
Camry/Avalon - ES
RAV-4 - NX
Prius - CT
That's why

Last edited by LoveCT; 05-16-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 11:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The reason why the Avalon is not a luxury car is that the sum of all of the parts still do not come together as luxuriously as the ES.

I was critical of the ES at first but having spent a lot of time with both it is clear.

The Avalon is a nice premium car, the ES is a nice luxurious car.
Old 05-16-15, 11:40 AM
LoveCT
Driver

The reason why the Avalon is not a luxury car is that the sum of all of the parts still do not come together as luxuriously as the ES.

I was critical of the ES at first but having spent a lot of time with both it is clear.

The Avalon is a nice premium car, the ES is a nice luxurious car.
Right! Very nicely described. Funny, I spent a lot of time in both but I felt the opposite. The brand perhaps carries a higher weight for you than me.

While you enjoy your bubble, Lexus is moving away from your nice luxurious cars, are you noticing? Let's get back to topic and understand why Lentz is worried and regretting such rapid shift by Lexus. I bet everyone including Lentz is having a tough time defining the Lexus brand as it shifts its direction. It is as I put it challenging the Germans in their game and not being as convincing as the Germans.

Last edited by LoveCT; 05-16-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I bet everyone including Lentz is having a tough time defining the Lexus brand as it shifts its direction.
I don't think anyone is having a tough time defining the Lexus brand. What Lexus is doing today which is different than in the past is to offer different experiences among the same cars. This is why there is an F sport, Hybrid and standard luxury offering for vehicles like the LS, GS, RX etc.

You can still get luxury packages in the IS, RX, GS, LS and the ES. But you can also get F sport or hybrid packages as well.

The Avalon is a nice car, its just not a luxury car. I don't see how you do not understand that.

As for the CT, I thought it was a terrible car. I would give it 1 star out of 5 if I were to rate it. For the price paid, the interior was cheap, 134hp was on the low end (funny enough the Corolla ECO) has more power and similar fuel efficiency in a better package for a lot less. I think the Corolla also comes with the same fake leather as the CT.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-16-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 12:18 PM
LoveCT
Driver

As for the CT, I thought it was a terrible car. I would give it 1 star out of 5 if I were to rate it. For the price paid, the interior was cheap, 134hp was on the low end (funny enough the Corolla ECO) has more power and similar fuel efficiency in a better package for a lot less. I think the Corolla also comes with the same fake leather as the CT.
Quite understandable from an ES enthusiast. Did you know CT also came in the same actual leather as your ES? For the price paid, interior of Prius is cheaper and that's the reason for CT's arrival. I have a hrder time justifying an ES over Avalon/Camry than a CT over Prius. Given that CT has almost the same FE as a Prius, I'll have to look up which ECO matches CT's fuel efficiency.
Talking about power, I can cite numerous other makes with better power and package and a halo image to boot for a lot less than the ES.
Old 05-16-15, 12:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Talking about power, I can cite numerous other makes with better power and package and a halo image to boot for a lot less than the ES.
Can you give a few examples?
Old 05-16-15, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Quite understandable from an ES enthusiast. Did you know CT also came in the same actual leather as your ES?.
Leather, in a CT is a $2170 (Package) option. The base models come with NuLuxe, which, IMO, is just as nice as leather, and a whole easier on the cows.
Old 05-16-15, 01:41 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If you spec the Avalon to the appropriate levels with the "luxury" amenities as the ES, it comes out, its not a cheap car. I mean it starts at 33K which is only 4K less than the ES. No wonder why there are some that find it as luxurious as the ES. Money talks. There is not another Toyota product that comes as close to being the same vehicle, however you see it, by price, size, and features.
Old 05-16-15, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Since the Avalon is the flagship of Toyota's car line and the ES in Lexus' entry level sedan, it stands to reason that they'd be quite similar. It may have started already, but they'll be built side by side in the Kentucky plant soon.

Personally I prefer the exterior styling of the Avalon, except for that grill. Just seems like a clumsy effort on Toyota's part. Not necessarily a big fan of the spindle, but it seems to work better on the ES.
Old 05-16-15, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

So, should you compare it with non hybrids? Do it then and drop the base price by another 6,000 dollars, which is usually the price difference of hybrid vs non hybrids for most models. Would we then compare the CT sales in that hypothetical scenario?

By the way, this was an answer to a raised point, whereas Lentz points that he's generally satisfied with CT's conquests. If we're questioning the first principles for all models under the Lexus umbrella then a whole whack of them need to be overhauled or scrapped.

And the US only consideration for hybrids is moot as almost none of them are built outside Japan and is exported around the world.

By the way there's a good chance that RC sales will tank in two years led by the F. A three row CUV sales would still be going strong then. Lentz knows this better than a lot of us. That Lexus is putting all its coins to transform its entire line to sport look moving away from its traditional "pursuit of perfection" is both laughable and worrisome. Lentz is concerned there as well.

As a young entrant to Lexus, I knew what its core value was. This foray to everything sport has me thinking what's wrong with BMW and Mercedes, as Lexus is not even close to as sporty vehicles as these other makes. At least the others have the DNA. Plus everyone in my friends and family who's seen or tried the new Lexus launches laments the lack of fit and finish of the interior trim that the previous years model used to show especially in the dash, console area.

And the notion that a halo vehicle is needed to improve sales is highly questionable. IS 250/350 sold more at the launch in 2005 than the second gen in 2014 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS Why? There was no RC or LFA back then. Or are you saying this gen IS would not even sold as much if it was not for the LFA or the RC? What halo model helped the RX sales? Look, no matter how you put it, people are not that gullible to be tricked into a lower model because you show a 500k car. Not at least in today's information age. What LFA'esque halo car does the BMW have that makes it become the top seller of luxury cars?
1) there shouldn't be a comparison, period. i never said the CT sales should have been compared to non hybrids. i never said how the comparison should be done. i purely said the statement in wiki is pointless and stupid and you quoting on it literally brought nothing to the table

2) since you said you are young so i think that might explain your off base statement regarding the IS. first of all 2006 IS was second generation, 2014 IS is third generation. secondly, if you purely just look at the sales numbers 8-9 years apart to draw a simple conclusion then you can't be more wrong. have you considered the economy between the two time period? did you know that back in 04-06 it was the huge economy boom where pretty much all makes and models, including flagships like s class, saw huge increase in sales?

to be fair, i actually agree that i personally don't believe that showing a halo car like LFA would have drastic direct effect on sales of regular models. i just don't see how they would sell more ES and RX with the LFA on the show floor. it might have effect on cars like RC and maybe IS but i am still unsure.
Old 05-16-15, 05:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

As I mentioned many times before Lexus would be wise to get rid of the ES.
They need to stop being dependent on the Camry platform for key Lexus models!

They should concentrate on the GS chassis and develop more models from it, such as:
1) GS 4-door coupe to compete with CLS, 6Series and A7
2) RWD based premium SUV to compete with X5, Cayenne and ML
3) SUV coupe to compete with X6 and new MB

The reason that Lexus is not doing any of this is bec they are Cheap and Lazy!
If the GS was a volume model - it would be much more cost efficient to develop more models off it. This is also a reason that the 3.5 V6 has been around 10+years. Lexus has limited RWD platforms to put a new one into therefore its not worth the extra cost to update one very often.

Killing the ES will definitely cause sales pain in the short term but it would have a huge positive effect long term for the Lexus brand to develop their own models independent of the Camry's lifecycle.
Old 05-16-15, 06:32 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right! Very nicely described. Funny, I spent a lot of time in both but I felt the opposite. The brand perhaps carries a higher weight for you than me.

While you enjoy your bubble, Lexus is moving away from your nice luxurious cars, are you noticing? Let's get back to topic and understand why Lentz is worried and regretting such rapid shift by Lexus. I bet everyone including Lentz is having a tough time defining the Lexus brand as it shifts its direction. It is as I put it challenging the Germans in their game and not being as convincing as the Germans.
This. Lexus has stagnated with it's engine and has been glacier slow in improving it's offerings for the sums they are asking. People notice things like BSM not being available on an SUV, or cars but is on Toyota. While HP doesn't always kill sales it's a statistic that people do look at when comparing and people notice that it's been the same for the last 8 years.
A lot of little things start to add up as a whole.
Old 05-16-15, 07:09 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
1) there shouldn't be a comparison, period. i never said the CT sales should have been compared to non hybrids. i never said how the comparison should be done. i purely said the statement in wiki is pointless and stupid and you quoting on it literally brought nothing to the table

2) since you said you are young so i think that might explain your off base statement regarding the IS. first of all 2006 IS was second generation, 2014 IS is third generation. secondly, if you purely just look at the sales numbers 8-9 years apart to draw a simple conclusion then you can't be more wrong. have you considered the economy between the two time period? did you know that back in 04-06 it was the huge economy boom where pretty much all makes and models, including flagships like s class, saw huge increase in sales?

to be fair, i actually agree that i personally don't believe that showing a halo car like LFA would have drastic direct effect on sales of regular models. i just don't see how they would sell more ES and RX with the LFA on the show floor. it might have effect on cars like RC and maybe IS but i am still unsure.
1) As I said, this was an answer to an earlier post suggesting the CT was a sales dud. My reference to that pointless and stupid wiki statement basically tried to show that CT was a success in its own right, when you chimed in.

2) Funny you say the 1st gen IS. I remember, I used to carpool to school with this guy in the IS300. The launch of IS250 and 350 in 2006 was a new launch for my friend who complained about IS moving downmarket with the 250. So, as a senior moderator if you say I was off base, I have no other option, do I? As I have a habit of going off base, I will do it one more time and compare IS sales with BMW 3 series sales. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_S...tion_and_sales See how the three series sales in 2014 is tracking close to its all time high of 2007? Without a halo car and notwithstanding the recession. Must be for some other off base reason.

As you mentioned I also checked the Mercedes S class sales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class# sales which shows its latest sales not close to its highest sales in 2006. For some weird off base reason, I feel IS sales should track more close (similar in sales cycle pattern, not the actual sales) to BMW 3 than Mercedes S. But that's just me. Again, the context was about the presence of exclusive LFA and RCF cars boosting lower model sales just so I am not quoted out of context.

Last edited by LoveCT; 05-17-15 at 02:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lentz on Lexus: Few Regrets