Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

recommendations: used sport wagon in the $15k-20k range?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 04:53 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a place with temperate weather, so I'm not an AWD expert, but the VW TDI Sportwagen is a great car. I traded my 2013 with 50k in for $17k, although KBB was a bit less (14 I think). It doesn't come with AWD, so obviously if that's a deal-breaker, then disregard this post
Old 05-11-15, 04:58 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
I'm in a place with temperate weather, so I'm not an AWD expert, but the VW TDI Sportwagen is a great car. I traded my 2013 with 50k in for $17k, although KBB was a bit less (14 I think). It doesn't come with AWD, so obviously if that's a deal-breaker, then disregard this post
he said AWD is a requirement, so post disregarded.

if you're getting a wagon, I'd go with the Volvo - much better bang for the buck, plus I think all the BMW/Audi/MB wagons look a bit strange - but just my .02

Last edited by bagwell; 05-11-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 05:05 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
BAM!!!!

If you haven't driven a larger Ford lately, you'd be astounded that this is the same company that made that horrid rental Taurus you had 10-15 years ago. They've come a long way in terms of quality, fit, finish, etc.

Go ride in a top of the line Limited, I think you'll find it every bit as luxurious as that Benz wagon, with A TON more room. AWD was optional with the base V6, standard with the much faster Eco-Boost V6. Plus you'll be buying a much newer car that will be more reliable and way cheaper to service than your German options.
They're decent, but to call it luxurious is silly. That's the equivalent of describing a Ford Fusion as a luxury sedan.
I've spent ample time in the Flex and it's definitely better than what Ford made in the past, but it still leaves a lot to be desired when compared to anything European. That being said, a tune and downpipe on this vehicle will make this a very quick wagon. It doesn't take much to make it run 13 second quarter miles.
Old 05-11-15, 05:09 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
he said AWD is a requirement, so post disregarded.
I missed his second post regarding AWD, but appreciate the snark.
Old 05-12-15, 12:34 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge Magnum RT/AWD should be able to find it used for less than what your looking to spend. May not be as luxurious but could be a lot more fun.
Old 05-12-15, 12:40 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said you are aware of the Subaru's. There's the Outback 2.5 XT as well in both flavors (auto or manual) the latter having a 50/50 torque split front to rear. Most other AWD systems will be biased according to their root power train.
Old 05-12-15, 09:12 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are probably right that I should get something more recent and more sensible. I don't know what the risks are with a 6-10 year old German car, but there must be many expensive things that can go wrong. I've always leased so never had anything more than 3 years old.

Honda Pilot, Acura MDX (or RDX?), Ford Flex are all probably better ideas than Merc/Audi/BMW. The Flex looks huge - probably bigger than I need. I'm not a fan of how the EX looks, plus I think the trunk is too small for my needs... German wagons look fantastic to me, but of course it's just personal preference. The Magnum went out of production in 2008 (didn't know this until I looked it up), so it would be just as old as the German cars, but probably cheaper to fix, and cheaper to buy too (6-9k or so).

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Old 05-12-15, 09:18 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
You guys are probably right that I should get something more recent and more sensible. I don't know what the risks are with a 6-10 year old German car, but there must be many expensive things that can go wrong. I've always leased so never had anything more than 3 years old.

Honda Pilot, Acura MDX (or RDX?), Ford Flex are all probably better ideas than Merc/Audi/BMW. The Flex looks huge - probably bigger than I need. I'm not a fan of how the EX looks, plus I think the trunk is too small for my needs... German wagons look fantastic to me, but of course it's just personal preference. The Magnum went out of production in 2008 (didn't know this until I looked it up), so it would be just as old as the German cars, but probably cheaper to fix, and cheaper to buy too (6-9k or so).

You can always buy from Carmax and get their warranty, which is fairly decent, or find what BMW's extended warranty policy is if you're interested in them.
Old 05-13-15, 05:24 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Japanese is always the best route on a used purchase, especially over 7 years old. I'd take a good look at the MDX. 2007 > are great SUVs that handle like a nice car and there are many good choices under $20K, even under $15K.
Old 06-24-15, 12:28 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Brief update on my car search. I decided I could up my budget to around ~30k, and last weekend I went to look at and test drive a 2011 MB E350 wagon. I loved the styling, the huge trunk with low cargo load height, and the panoramic sunroof. But I really did not like how the thing drove. It felt massively underpowered with ~268 hp, the steering felt loose and disconnected, and the ride felt somehow too heavy and too floaty at the same time. I guess I've been spoiled by my other cars... But this won't work for me.

My next thought was a used Porsche Cayenne. You can get a 2011 (first year of the new body style) for around that price. But the trunk is surprisingly small, and the load height is very high. My dog couldn't jump up - I'd have to lift him up there every time. So that one is probably a no as well.

Current thought is a 2010 535i xDrive. That was the last year of the wagon body style. Cars in good shape cost mid to low 20k range. I'll try to take one for a test drive soon... Hopefully it checks all the boxes and feels a bit better than the Benz.

Thanks again for your suggestions...
Old 06-24-15, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Brief update on my car search. I decided I could up my budget to around ~30k,
For 30K, you could forget used cars and get a brand-new 2.5L Subaru Outback wagon with standard AWD, though it might take a little more than 30K to get a 3.6R version with six cylinders, unless it was bare-bones and the dealer really discounted it for you.
Old 06-24-15, 02:59 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Used Porsche Cayenne S or Turbo with a warranty
Old 06-24-15, 03:00 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For 30K, you could forget used cars and get a brand-new 2.5L Subaru Outback wagon with standard AWD, though it might take a little more than 30K to get a 3.6R version with six cylinders, unless it was bare-bones and the dealer really discounted it for you.
Yes, but then he has to worry about significant depreciation. Used cars have already suffered that drop. Like getting a one or two year old CPO Touareg versus a brand new one.
Old 06-24-15, 03:17 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Why not look into a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon? Offered in AT or MT, 2.5L Turbo, AWD, etc. Can't really beat it, and you don't get all the ricer looks that you get from driving a WRX or STI.

Old 06-25-15, 01:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SonicMotor
Why not look into a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon? Offered in AT or MT, 2.5L Turbo, AWD, etc. Can't really beat it, and you don't get all the ricer looks that you get from driving a WRX or STI.

If you read through the thread, you will see it is clear the OP wants something more upscale.

Quick Reply: recommendations: used sport wagon in the $15k-20k range?