Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would you buy?

Old 05-08-15, 06:14 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
The worst suggestion yet. DO NOT BUY A 2006 GS300. Please do some research.
I mean buy a 2007 GS350 if your pockets allow it but if its for a person who wouldnt care about the difference between the 06-07.
Old 05-08-15, 06:23 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
I mean buy a 2007 GS350 if your pockets allow it but if its for a person who wouldnt care about the difference between the 06-07.

Im pretty sure someone would care about the 06 GS300's well known oil consumption due to bad piston rings and head carbon build up issues due to crappy direct injection design. The 06 GS300 is the "lemon" of the 3GS lineup.
Old 05-08-15, 06:44 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Rsx type s
S2000
Wrx
R32 gtr
Old 05-08-15, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
He said they wanted a "nice" car. Matrix and vibe are both ugly and inferior to his current solara.
As far as "ugliness" goes, the Matrix and Vibe are reliable and do the basic jobs they were designed to do very well. They weren't designed......or intended.......to be beautiful exotics.
Old 05-08-15, 06:50 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Overall I would put the TL first as well. Although, my son (age 26) has owned a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan for a couple of years that has been a great car (he gave 7k for it with 90k miles). While I don't know about the newer models, the 2003 was on the Z car frame. His has the sport suspension and the Z car engine. Fun car to drive and has been very dependable. The G35s, while they appear to be very good cars, don't hold their value very well so you should be able to get more car.
Old 05-08-15, 07:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...bar=true&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...es=COUPE&Log=0

Last edited by bagwell; 05-08-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-09-15, 11:33 AM
08pebbch
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the recommendations! Still leaning towards the TL. Maybe the TSX, if we can find a nice one. Not interested in the Acura coupe (can't remember the letters) - those seems to mostly be abused burner cars!

Glad to see the warnings about transmissions/burning oil.. things I wouldn't know without digging! I had no idea about the Nissan transmission and issues - did know about the Toyota dash recall (our Solara is part of it, will replace dash before we sell it.)

What the heck is up with all the salvage/rebuilt cars out there?! Although I can say we've had 2 cars totaled in recent memory - an 02 Solara with very little damage - it was immaculate prior to the accident - and was drivable even afterwards - I had gotten such a good deal on it it we were able to upgrade to the newer Solara. Hail damage totaled my younger son's Nissan Pathfinder - again, because of the deal I made buying the Pathfinder we upgraded him to an Infiniti SUV for the insuarance $$. I'm guessing both of those cars are being driven with salvage/rebuilt titles. In a previous life, I worked in lending, these titles made the value drop in half. And you still can't typically get full coverage insurance.

Sharing this craigslist ad, because I know you guys will appreciate it!http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5014106348.html
Old 05-10-15, 02:45 AM
CSTU93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, great read! Poor guy.. LX to a minivan.
Originally Posted by 08pebbch
Thank you for the recommendations! Still leaning towards the TL. Maybe the TSX, if we can find a nice one. Not interested in the Acura coupe (can't remember the letters) - those seems to mostly be abused burner cars!

Glad to see the warnings about transmissions/burning oil.. things I wouldn't know without digging! I had no idea about the Nissan transmission and issues - did know about the Toyota dash recall (our Solara is part of it, will replace dash before we sell it.)

What the heck is up with all the salvage/rebuilt cars out there?! Although I can say we've had 2 cars totaled in recent memory - an 02 Solara with very little damage - it was immaculate prior to the accident - and was drivable even afterwards - I had gotten such a good deal on it it we were able to upgrade to the newer Solara. Hail damage totaled my younger son's Nissan Pathfinder - again, because of the deal I made buying the Pathfinder we upgraded him to an Infiniti SUV for the insuarance $$. I'm guessing both of those cars are being driven with salvage/rebuilt titles. In a previous life, I worked in lending, these titles made the value drop in half. And you still can't typically get full coverage insurance.

Sharing this craigslist ad, because I know you guys will appreciate it!http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5014106348.html
Old 05-10-15, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CSTU93
Lol, great read! Poor guy.. LX to a minivan.
Minivans aren't as bad as the image many think of them. They get a bad rap in the auto press, but what do you expect....those guys are mostly sports-oriented, and all they seem to think about is acceleration and handling. But, for a lot of families, minivans are probably the most useful vehicles available....particularly with the Sienna's AWD option.
Old 05-10-15, 03:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I had a G35 coupe for 11 years. LOVED that car but at 100k, i had to get valve covers replaced ($700), crankshaft sensor went (common and about $2k to replace and if it goes, gotta get it towed), needed new suspension ($1k) and ate tires every 15k due to how the front suspension was setup (common to all G35s and 350zs). It's a really great drive but the maintenance is VERY expensive. My brakes also cost about $1k if you get decent pads and rotors. Btw, its only a matter of time before window motors go and door actuators fail. Gas mileage was about 17mpg and premium is required or you get massive knocking.

I'd recommend a G coupe to a mid 20s guy wanting to mod his car but to a 19 year old, not so much. Honestly at that age I'd go for a used Mazda 3 or Civic. They are fun to drive, have good gas mileage and bullet proof.
Old 05-10-15, 05:38 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i currently have a 2007 TL, and i love it...

earlier posts are correct, the 2007/2008(the nice body style...before they went ugly) TL recieved the upgraded RL transmission and have been issue free.

If your son is OK with auto, just get the base TL... the auto TL-S is only a few more horses, different wheels, and brembo brakes. these are the only noticeable differences. Auto S and Auto base is not much different, and getting a 6spd type S is hard to come by, and fetch top dollar.

Besides, you can get a nice low mileage base for $11K. The S will have much higher mileage

If you have any questions about the TL, just shoot me a PM
good luck with your search
Old 05-10-15, 05:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

08pebbch, it sounds like you're on quite the journey with choices. It's interesting, because car people often look at all the same brands and models. I almost bought a Solara Coupe as a daily driver a few years ago.

Eventually I migrated over to a G35 awd sedan at a dealership and loved its handling but wasn't convinced about other noises in the front suspension that drove me away.

After that I waited and ended up with a 2GS 430. Never regretted it although I really would have gone for a TL-S too.

What kind of driver is your son? Does he love tail-out power once in a while w/o wrecking his ride? Is he okay with a perfomance fwd?

The TL sounds like a good choice. But for effortless straight line blasts, a GS430 (1998 - 2005) isn't such a bad option.
Old 05-10-15, 06:18 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I had a G35 coupe for 11 years. LOVED that car but at 100k, i had to get valve covers replaced ($700), crankshaft sensor went (common and about $2k to replace and if it goes, gotta get it towed), needed new suspension ($1k) and ate tires every 15k due to how the front suspension was setup (common to all G35s and 350zs). It's a really great drive but the maintenance is VERY expensive. My brakes also cost about $1k if you get decent pads and rotors. Btw, its only a matter of time before window motors go and door actuators fail. Gas mileage was about 17mpg and premium is required or you get massive knocking.

I'd recommend a G coupe to a mid 20s guy wanting to mod his car but to a 19 year old, not so much. Honestly at that age I'd go for a used Mazda 3 or Civic. They are fun to drive, have good gas mileage and bullet proof.
That's what I was a little worried about - the G coupe almost seems like an upscale burner car, if that makes sense? Many of them are abused!
Originally Posted by 96SC4
i currently have a 2007 TL, and i love it...

earlier posts are correct, the 2007/2008(the nice body style...before they went ugly) TL recieved the upgraded RL transmission and have been issue free.

If your son is OK with auto, just get the base TL... the auto TL-S is only a few more horses, different wheels, and brembo brakes. these are the only noticeable differences. Auto S and Auto base is not much different, and getting a 6spd type S is hard to come by, and fetch top dollar.

Besides, you can get a nice low mileage base for $11K. The S will have much higher mileage

If you have any questions about the TL, just shoot me a PM
good luck with your search
He wants an auto - we never taught either of our boys (19 and 21) to drive stick shifts! Horrors! I think he will end up with the 07/08 TL base - maybe we can find one with upgraded wheels! The good thing about those, many elderly have purchased them - not abused.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Minivans aren't as bad as the image many think of them. They get a bad rap in the auto press, but what do you expect....those guys are mostly sports-oriented, and all they seem to think about is acceleration and handling. But, for a lot of families, minivans are probably the most useful vehicles available....particularly with the Sienna's AWD option.
RIght?! If we didn't need the upgraded suspension, we would probably have an Odyssey instead of our Navigator L! But we load up at Sam's Club every week - the truck frame of the Navi is a necessity!

Originally Posted by MattyG
08pebbch, it sounds like you're on quite the journey with choices. It's interesting, because car people often look at all the same brands and models. I almost bought a Solara Coupe as a daily driver a few years ago.

Eventually I migrated over to a G35 awd sedan at a dealership and loved its handling but wasn't convinced about other noises in the front suspension that drove me away.

After that I waited and ended up with a 2GS 430. Never regretted it although I really would have gone for a TL-S too.

What kind of driver is your son? Does he love tail-out power once in a while w/o wrecking his ride? Is he okay with a perfomance fwd?

The TL sounds like a good choice. But for effortless straight line blasts, a GS430 (1998 - 2005) isn't such a bad option.
We are starting from scratch with this search! He actually wouldn't mind a new Solara - I think 08 or 09 was the last year for them. Wants the V6 instead of the 4 cyl. I'm still the mom - his driving style is follow the rules! Okay, head out of the sand, we did send him and his older brother to the tire rack driving day school a couple of years ago - very good lessons for teens - shows them what their cars will do - pushes the limits safely - hopefully enough to teach them not to do it on their own!
Old 05-11-15, 06:37 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 08pebbch
He wants an auto - we never taught either of our boys (19 and 21) to drive stick shifts! Horrors! I think he will end up with the 07/08 TL base - maybe we can find one with upgraded wheels! The good thing about those, many elderly have purchased them - not abused.
the base wheels are actually nice looking...
i put the S wheels on my base(which are the same exact size as the base)
Old 05-12-15, 07:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

08pebbch, here's a curve ball... if you see one at around the same pricing as the TL, consider an RL too.

It's a car that didn't get much attention but is an amazing effort by Honda. Same V6, awd. Fairly decent styling and more features than the TL. If I wasn't so spoiled by my Lexus V8, this would be on my list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you buy?