Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When you were a kid, what was your first dream car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 08:07 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I grew up in the 1960s. This was EVERYBODY's dream car.......the '64-66 Mustang, though, in fact, it really wasn't anything but a standard Ho-Hum Ford Falcon compact chassis with a nice-looking body and interior on it.

Whoa, not so fast. As a child of the 60's I dreamed of owning this,

A Jaguar XKE V12 convertible, with wire wheels of course.

Old 05-10-15, 05:47 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Born in 87. But as a Kid. This was my first dream car..

Plymouth Prowler

Then it was this..

Lamborghini Diablo
Old 05-10-15, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Whoa, not so fast. As a child of the 60's I dreamed of owning this,

A Jaguar XKE V12 convertible, with wire wheels of course.

Yes......good point. Before the Mustang debuted in 1964, the XKE was everyone's drool-machine (unless you wanted the immensely popular Impala SS)

The main difference between the Mustang and XKE, though, was that the average Joe on the street could actually afford a Mustang. When it debuted in April of 1964, it set a record for first-year new-car sales.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-10-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 07:36 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

To me the Land Cruisers are my favorite vehicles on this planet, that is how much i love them. I grew up in Land Cruisers, first vehicle i ever drove, first vehicle i ever owned and now thankfully i own two and my ultimate automotive goal is to own atleast one from each generation.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-10-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 06:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Countach, Corvette and The Firebird Trans Am (just because I had a gorgeous calendar - had no idea how good or bad it was)
Old 05-11-15, 08:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a kid in the 60's it was all muscle cars. Camaro and Super Bee were my favorites.
In the 70's I started liking sport cars. The Porsche 911 was the first I had a real interest in. That was because my dad kept bringing it up. In fact, when I finished college and got my first job I was going to move out. He told me to stay home with them, use my whole paycheck to buy a Porsche. I prolly should have done it but instead I bought a Sentra and moved out.
Old 05-12-15, 12:01 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default When you were a kid, what was your first dream car?

My dad has owned a 1967 Pontiac Firebird since the 70's. it's definitely been my dream car since i could talk.
Old 05-12-15, 10:18 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diablo 10 char
Old 05-12-15, 09:26 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Lamborghini Countach
THIS! the Red One! I actually ended up getting a Nice looking Replica! after you get older you realize some of these cars are not really Good cars to own as far as being a Sound Reasonable Choice, especially when it comes to upkeep, tune-ups, etc... !
Old 05-13-15, 12:34 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Growing up I was more into the Lowrider scene and always wanted a "Classic" car.

As time went by my style evolved to the known Exotics like Ferrari's
Old 05-13-15, 07:33 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, I was about nine when I fell in love with my first car. Understand that was shortly after the discovery of the wheel and concepts like "fire" were only then becoming popular. Then GM hit the Autorama shows with a series of stunning vehicles that fascinated every kid on the block. We all thought we'd be driving these by the time we were old enough to get a license.

The 1952 Buick "LeSabre" was a concept car that borrowed its styling heavily from the F-86 Sabrejet - a popular styling resource of the day. It's twin fuel tanks contained gasoline and ethanol metered on demand to a supercharged V8 that promised impressive performance. An odd styling quirk featured that exaggerated center grill that wasn't an air intake at all, but a dummy panel that flipped horizontally to reveal a pair of headlights.

'54, '56, and '58 brought the "Firebird" cars to GM's concept fleet, and they were the centerpiece of the American Auto Show circuit. Utterly and completely impractical - especially since GM had yet to develop a gas turbine engine, they were nothing but styling exercises. Again borrowing from aircraft of the day, Harley Earl developed both the LeSabre and Firebird concepts, vestiges of which you could still see on his creations for the next decade.

By the time the Firebird IV was introduced, it did incorporate some additional features that found their way to production: disc brakes and 4-wheel independent suspensions topped the list, along with the manufacturing techniques that allowed Corvette to introduce fiberglass bodywork to the production line about the same time the LeSabre was being assembled in the design studio.

Today they look terribly dated, but while styling trends come and go, the names of the vehicles lived on. LeSabre and Firebird would have long and successful production runs for the next 40 years.
Old 05-13-15, 08:21 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Toss up between a Porsche 959 and the Ferrari 348.
Give this man a cookie right here! The 959 was by far my favorite car growing up (Born '87). It was a tech marvel at the time, light-years ahead of any other car.

Can watch this OVER and OVER!

Old 05-13-15, 10:00 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Give this man a cookie right here! The 959 was by far my favorite car growing up (Born '87). It was a tech marvel at the time, light-years ahead of any other car.

Can watch this OVER and OVER!

https://youtu.be/7mFleLfedrU
959 vs F40 was a great match. I think the 959 is more legendary because it was restricted to enter the US.

However, I feel the Testarossa was more eye candy.
Old 05-13-15, 08:43 PM
JessePS

I remember having posters of the Lamborghini Countach dual wing, but I think I really liked the Jaguar XJ220 way more.
Old 05-14-15, 12:21 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lamborghini Countach. I guess that shows my age group.

Quick Reply: When you were a kid, what was your first dream car?