Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is the GS350 F-Sport another lexus letdown?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-15, 07:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have had an LS460 and currently drive an ISF. I had a GS350 F sport loaner for a week while my car was waiting for back ordered parts and getting a cat back race exhaust. The GS350 F Sport was a nice luxury car. To call it sporty is a joke. It is gutless and torqueless. The steering is over boosted in Sport + . The interior is amazing, the room is nice, and the exterior is nice imho. I think the GSF ( real deal ) would be a better car in my opinion since I think the only weak link is the motor and steering in the F sport GS
I OWNED a GS F Sport for almost 3 years and no longer have it so I have nothing to gain by saying that your comment, "calling it sporty is a joke" couldn't be further from the truth. I have an Audi S5 now, which is the epitome of sporty, and my GS F Sport could have probably kept up with it in the twisties. Maybe your loaner didn't have DRS, but I found my GS F Sport to be plenty "sporty" with a nice dash of luxury included. It was one of the best overall sedans I've ever owned. Does it need a bit more torque? Sure, but that can be remedied by using the Sport+ setting. And yes, the interior is amazing.

Last edited by dseag2; 05-08-15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

A GS F-Sport isn't "sporty" compared to an IS-F, but drive anything else in that segment, the F Sport is plenty sporty.
Old 05-10-15, 12:56 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

The short answer is no. It is not if we compare apple to apple. I looked into this segment three years ago and decided to get the GS. Three years later I'm looking into this segment again, GS is still a winner to me.
Old 05-10-15, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No question. I looked at everything again and I didn't see anything else that I preferred to the GS without moving up a segment.
Old 05-11-15, 04:48 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have had an LS460 and currently drive an ISF. I had a GS350 F sport loaner for a week while my car was waiting for back ordered parts and getting a cat back race exhaust. The GS350 F Sport was a nice luxury car. To call it sporty is a joke. It is gutless and torqueless. The steering is over boosted in Sport + . The interior is amazing, the room is nice, and the exterior is nice imho. I think the GSF ( real deal ) would be a better car in my opinion since I think the only weak link is the motor and steering in the F sport GS
Although I agreed that the GS has weak low end power, it does have very good at the top end and you must get your foot down and activate the full throttle mode or else it will not use 100% of its power giving it an impression that its low on power.

I completly do not agree on the statement you made about the steering. The steering on the GS is very sporty and 4esponsive WITHOUT being over boosted. Actually the steering in sport + mode is actually heavier than normal mode so i dont know why you said its over boosted. You want to lnow what cars steering is over boosted? You previous LS460 now that is over boosted. Although the ISF has more power.....the GS FSport if properly equiped will beat it in a more technical race track. The ISF is basically an older generation IS chassis with a V8 motor and nothing more therfore its handling was not up to par with its compeditors. While on the other hand the GS steering and feel is top notch in its competing category etc.. 5 series and E class.
Old 05-11-15, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
AYou want to lnow what cars steering is over boosted? You previous LS460 now that is over boosted.
Actually, I'm surprised by how heavy and direct the steering is on my new LS...
Old 05-11-15, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Actually, I'm surprised by how heavy and direct the steering is on my new LS...
Yours doesn't have the Sport-Package, does it? That sometimes means recalibrated steering for more effort. And, though I don't remember if the standard LS has it, some upmarket cars have a multi-position switch that also varies the steering effort, so that both Grandma with her arthritis and sport-minded enthusiasts can be satisfied in the same car. Me, I generally like it somewhere in the middle, as far as effort is concerned.
Old 05-11-15, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yours doesn't have the Sport-Package, does it? That sometimes means recalibrated steering for more effort. And, though I don't remember if the standard LS has it, some upmarket cars have a multi-position switch that also varies the steering effort, so that both Grandma with her arthritis and sport-minded enthusiasts can be satisfied in the same car. Me, I generally like it somewhere in the middle, as far as effort is concerned.
No, mines entirely base, no air suspension or anything. The steering does tighten up in Sport mode, but even in normal mode its hefty and nicely weighted at speed.

The LS really isn't a wallowy car, it never has been.
Old 05-11-15, 02:54 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Are you trying to justify your purchase, Steve? J/K.
From my experience, LS' steering feels very different from the GS'. GS' is way more precise and even more so when in S+. It's my opinion though and I'm no car expert.
Old 05-11-15, 03:27 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The F Sport line doesn't (or shouldn't) really compete against AMG/M/S product lines. But I get the sense Lexus wants to market it as though it does. At the very least, they should put all of the available F Sport accessories standard on cars branded as "F Sport" and not half-*** it and make it a appearance package with a couple of suspension parts.

The actual GS-F, IS-F and RC-F are better comparisons. The GS-F isn't even released yet so maybe we should hold the *****ing until then.
Old 05-11-15, 04:30 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
No question. I looked at everything again and I didn't see anything else that I preferred to the GS without moving up a segment.
I'm coming to the same conclusion. Doing a comparison of even the Honda Accord/ Toyota Avalon and so forth fully loaded with all the bells & whistles it's beginning to lean towards Lexus a lot.
Old 05-11-15, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

The GS F Sport is the sportiest sedan in its category, plain and simple
Old 05-11-15, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The GS F Sport is the sportiest sedan in its category, plain and simple

Though I'm not taking a formal position on it, some CTS-V fans might contest that.
Old 05-11-15, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

When I said category, I not only meant its size but its price point. I should have been more clear. A CTS-V Premium, which includes a lot of the bells and whistles already found on the GS, has a base price of more than $70k. My GS F Sport, fully loaded with everything from Mark Levinson to HUD to RDS, stickered at $61,400.

BTW, I'm glad you are here to keep us all honest!
Old 05-11-15, 07:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ehaze
let my start by saying there has been a Lex in my family since 94, starting with the LS400.

fast forward a decade or so, then I owned a LS460. The LS460 is possibly the biggest letdown of an automobile I've ever owned, ever. The wind noise, the build quality, the fact that it's an inflated Camry, the car sucked. The LS460 was replaced with an E63 Benz, amazing car.

just sold my Audi S4 and still have a Volt (daily driver).

Should I buy an GS350 F-Sport or spend the extra dollar and get into a BMW 550i M-Sport?

(moderator clarification/correction in bold as was originally stated as GS-F but ehaze meant GS350 F-Sport)
If the issues with your LS460 are bothering you so much, then sure get the 550 - I guarantee that heap of junk it will make you appreciate your LS way more than you could ever imagine. I own a BMW with the same N63 engine, and the engine is already having major issues with only 17k miles.

Google up N63 CCP and read these articles.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar166918.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

Quick Reply: is the GS350 F-Sport another lexus letdown?