Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Running BMW stolen from Linden gas station

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 01:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Running BMW stolen from Linden gas station

I just never get this. Is it worth all of the hassle of being without your car, filing an insurance claim, etc., etc., just to save the 5 seconds of turning your car off, and restarting your car when you get back into it?

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...as_statio.html
Running BMW stolen from Linden gas station, tracked to Newark but still missing
Katie Lannan
May 04, 2015 at 10:26 AM, updated May 04, 2015 at 10:27 AM

LINDEN — An Edison man's $26,000 BMW was stolen shortly after midnight Monday morning after he left it running while he went into a gas station convenience store, police said.

The 37-year-old man was inside the store at the Exxon station at 11 East Edgar Road when he saw another man jump in his car and drive north on Route 1&9, Capt. James Sarnicki said.

A sergeant on patrol followed the car, with his lights and sirens on, but couldn't catch up, Sarnicki said. Police last saw the BMW as it headed into Elizabeth, traveling at a high speed.

The man's iPhone had been in the car, and officers were able to use the phone's tracking app to locate the car in Newark, Sarnicki said.

Linden police passed the information to the Newark police department. The car has not been recovered as of Monday morning.

The man who took the car was described only as an African-American man wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and headphones. The car has the New Jersey license plate Z38ESF.
Old 05-04-15, 03:13 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last seen in Newark, NJ? That sucker is gone.
Old 05-04-15, 03:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Exactly. Either on a boat or stripped to pieces already. Newark doesn't play.

I never understood this thought process either but this happened to my Dad a couple years ago. Leaves car running, goes into a Convenience store, comes out to a guy jumping into his car and taking off. They found the car and guy later that night. The idiot picks up 3 girls and goes for a cruise and ends up in a high speed police chase where the car rolled over and all of them where left in critical condition (no seatbelts). Dad learned his lesson real quick.

I actually just read this a couple days ago.

Theft of Cars with Keys in Them on the Rise

It turns out, folks are increasingly making it easier for their cars to be stolen.

According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), car theft that occurs as a result of the keys being in the car is increasing, even though overall car theft is decreasing. In 2012, about 39,345 cars with the keys in them were stolen, while in 2014, that number rose to 44,828 vehicles.

NICB says that if those 44,828 thefts in 2014 were removed from the total number of car thefts (about 659,717), it would bring the total down to levels that haven’t been seen since 1966.

“Am I shocked by these numbers? Not one bit. In fact, I’m sure the numbers are probably higher, because we are only able to determine the thefts where the car was recovered with the keys inside, or where someone admitted they left the keys in the car or the ignition,”said NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle. “Many times that is not admitted in the police report or the insurance claim.”

The top five worst states for these easy car thefts in 2014 were California (19,597), Texas (8,796), Florida (7,868), Michigan (7,726), and Ohio (7,452).
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-the-rise.html
Old 05-04-15, 03:53 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

This is nothing new. This was all over the news when I was a kid. Ever since I started driving I've always rolled up all the windows and locked the doors at gas stations. I know people who still use the Club, have fancy alarms on their cars and always lock it and double check whenever they park, yet at a gas station, just leave it open, sometimes running. As if a gas station is 'base' (playing tag reference) as if nothing could happen. I don't get it.
Old 05-04-15, 04:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T0ked
This is nothing new. This was all over the news when I was a kid. Ever since I started driving I've always rolled up all the windows and locked the doors at gas stations. I know people who still use the Club, have fancy alarms on their cars and always lock it and double check whenever they park, yet at a gas station, just leave it open, sometimes running. As if a gas station is 'base' (playing tag reference) as if nothing could happen. I don't get it.
I see it all the time at the coffee shop. Smart thieves would camp out at Starbucks.
Old 05-04-15, 04:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GFerg
Exactly. Either on a boat or stripped to pieces already. Newark doesn't play. I never understood this thought process either but this happened to my Dad a couple years ago. Leaves car running, goes into a Convenience store, comes out to a guy jumping into his car and taking off. They found the car and guy later that night. The idiot picks up 3 girls and goes for a cruise and ends up in a high speed police chase where the car rolled over and all of them where left in critical condition (no seatbelts). Dad learned his lesson real quick. I actually just read this a couple days ago. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-the-rise.html
it's funny how they phrase this -- "With keys in them". That isn't exactly the same as running, and with so many more cars with keyless ignitions, it's surprising that number is in the rise.
Old 05-04-15, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Some people use the excuse that their battery is weak, that the car may not restart if they turn it off. So, instead of spending $80 for a new battery, they take a chance on losing a five-figure car.
Old 05-04-15, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
it's funny how they phrase this -- "With keys in them". That isn't exactly the same as running, and with so many more cars with keyless ignitions, it's surprising that number is in the rise.
With some vehicles, though, if the driver has the fob in his or her pocket inside the store, though, even if the engine is still running in the car outside, the thief won't get very far. Without the fob-transmitter in the car itself (or very close to it), the engine will die in just a few feet. if the driver leaves the fob in the car, though, WITH the engine running (and, IMO, only an idiot would do that), then, of course, it's fair game for a thief.
Old 05-05-15, 05:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With some vehicles, though, if the driver has the fob in his or her pocket inside the store, though, even if the engine is still running in the car outside, the thief won't get very far. Without the fob-transmitter in the car itself (or very close to it), the engine will die in just a few feet. if the driver leaves the fob in the car, though, WITH the engine running (and, IMO, only an idiot would do that), then, of course, it's fair game for a thief.
Which cars do this? I've seen this discussed on Lexus, Mazda, BMW, Audi and Cadillac websites--none of those cars have such a feature. If the battery in your fob died, the car would think that you don't have the fob, and the engine would cut out.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-05-15 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 05:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea thats not true, ive had my car running in the garage and went inside the house, yup still running. Would be stupid as hell if it just cut off
Old 05-05-15, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Which cars do this? I've seen this discussed on Lexus, Mazda, BMW, Audi and Cadillac websites--none of those cars have such a feature. If the battery in your fob died, the car would think that you don't have the fob, and the engine would cut out.
Aren't you given at least two fobs with a new car? You are with key-transmitters.

Hey, if I'm wrong on that, so be it. That's the way I understood it, though...the nearby transmitter is necessary to start or run the engine.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea thats not true, ive had my car running in the garage and went inside the house, yup still running. Would be stupid as hell if it just cut off

Perhaps I was unclear. What I was referring to was the need for the fob-transmitter in the vicinity of the car so the engine would start and/or start and run when the ignition-button is pressed. How close that range is varies by make and model, and I wouldn't know right offhand what that range is for BMWs.

That's the whole idea of the fob/transmitter, isn't it?....to only allow an engine to start or run when the device itself is in or close to the car? That's not necessarily a dumb idea. Perhaps in your case, 4TehNguyen, when you were inside the house with the engine running, it was still within range.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this (I've never owned a push-button ignition car on a day-to-day basis, but I've reviewed a number of them). From what I understand about them, that is the way they operate....and have for me during the review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-15 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 06:53 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Perhaps I was unclear. What I was referring to was the need for the fob-transmitter in the vicinity of the car so the engine would start and/or start and run when the ignition-button is pressed. How close that range is varies by make and model, and I wouldn't know right offhand what that range is for BMWs.

That's the whole idea of the fob/transmitter, isn't it?....to only allow an engine to start or run when the device itself is in or close to the car? That's not necessarily a dumb idea. Perhaps in your case, 4TehNguyen, when you were inside the house with the engine running, it was still within range.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this (I've never owned a push-button ignition car on a day-to-day basis, but I've reviewed a number of them). From what I understand about them, that is the way they operate....and have for me during the review.
The FOB needs to be inside the car in order for it to start. The car will run all day once started. You'll just see a warning message that the FOB is out of range.
Old 05-05-15, 06:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Aren't you given at least two fobs with a new car? You are with key-transmitters.

Hey, if I'm wrong on that, so be it. That's the way I understood it, though...the nearby transmitter is necessary to start or run the engine.

Yes--there are 2 fobs, just like cars without keyless ignition; but I'm not sure why that matters? People don't drive around with a spare fob in their pocket in case the main one cuts out. My wife carries the spare fob to my car.

I can't say for sure that no car has such a kill feature; some people on Mazdas247 swear that the dealer can program the car to do this when the car is parked and you walk away. But I don't think it's the case--once the car has started, you can keep going without the fob until the gas runs out (but you'll get a warning light on the dash that the key is not detected). Every once in a while there's a thread about someone who assumed the car would shut off when they walked away, only to find out, hours later, that the car was still running. Even my 9 year old son knows what happens when you "assume".

Last edited by tex2670; 05-05-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 08:15 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
The FOB needs to be inside the car in order for it to start. The car will run all day once started. You'll just see a warning message that the FOB is out of range.
This. It's actually very dangerous for a car to shut off by itself so no car does this. If the engine shuts off, you lose power brakes and steering and it becomes a huge liability for the manufacturer. I've actually driven a car back home after dropping someone off without the fob. She drove us there and took it with her. Only after I drove away did I realize I forgot to take it from her. The warning light stayed on but it drove perfectly fine all the way home.

Last edited by T0ked; 05-05-15 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 08:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T0ked
This. It's actually very dangerous for a car to shut off by itself so no car does this. If the engine shuts off, you lose power brakes and steering and it becomes a huge liability for the manufacturer. I've actually driven a car back home after dropping someone off without the fob. She drove us there and took it with her. Only after I drove away did I realize I forgot to take it from her. The warning light stayed on but it drove perfectly fine all the way home.
Yeah--ask GM what happens when the ignition just shuts off while the car is moving.

Quick Reply: Running BMW stolen from Linden gas station