Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went from a Lexus to a Ford....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
HAHA thanks guys... the last mustang i owned was an 03 cobra and this is light years head of it in terms of quality feel and the drivetrain is so smooth thru the whole power band.
Back then, if I remember correctly (or close to that year in vintage), Ford had an issue with the official HP rating of the Cobra and SVT Mustangs....apparantly they weren't producing the full 305 advertised HP, though torque is usually more of a factor in acceleration than HP. I remember test-driving a Cobra of that vintage (but don't remember exactly what year) and wasn't terribly impressed with it. The hand-built SVT engine in it made a lot of the usual distinctive Mustang nasal-throb noise, but didn't have quite the grunt I expected.
Old 05-04-15, 06:54 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back then, if I remember correctly (or close to that year in vintage), Ford had an issue with the official HP rating of the Cobra and SVT Mustangs....apparantly they weren't producing the full 305 advertised HP, though torque is usually more of a factor in acceleration than HP. I remember test-driving a Cobra of that vintage (but don't remember exactly what year) and wasn't terribly impressed with it. The hand-built SVT engine in it made a lot of the usual distinctive Mustang nasal-throb noise, but didn't have quite the grunt I expected.

I think you are thinking of the N/A 99 cobra (i had one of those also) which was rated around 320hp but found to make less than ford advertised when customers put it on a dyno so ford did some revisions which included a new intake manifold and changed them out for customers which is one of the reasons there was no 2000 cobra. the 2001 cobra was basically the same as the 99 with a few updates on the interior and exterior. the 03/04 was the "Terminator" and had a supercharged 4.6 rated at 390hp in stock form and with bolt ons easily makes 450whp.
Old 05-04-15, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are thinking of the N/A 99 cobra (i had one of those also) which was rated around 320hp but found to make less than ford advertised when customers put it on a dyno so ford did some revisions which included a new intake manifold and changed them out for customers which is one of the reasons there was no 2000 cobra. the 2001 cobra was basically the same as the 99 with a few updates on the interior and exterior. the 03/04 was the "Terminator" and had a supercharged 4.6 rated at 390hp in stock form and with bolt ons easily makes 450whp.

Yes, it must have been the '99 I test-drove. I distinctly remember that it lacked some of the spunk I thought it would have, despite the usual Mustang growl in the exhaust (and, if my memory is correct, it was a convertible, which added some weight). And, now that you mention it, I had forgotten that there was a one-year lull (2000) in the production. Of course, when one looks at what came later, it was worth the wait.
Old 05-05-15, 08:25 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years ago, a friend called me and said he was going to pick me up in his rental Taurus (current gen). I snickered at him and said a Taurus?? Well, i was blown away when he picked me up how nice it was. IMO, it was nicer than my IS250. I was shocked! Since then, my thoughts have been completely changed on ford. So i can understand your feelings!
Old 05-05-15, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABC
A few years ago, a friend called me and said he was going to pick me up in his rental Taurus (current gen). I snickered at him and said a Taurus?? Well, i was blown away when he picked me up how nice it was. IMO, it was nicer than my IS250. I was shocked! Since then, my thoughts have been completely changed on ford. So i can understand your feelings!
The current-generation non-SHO Taurus, of course, unlike the IS250, is designed primarily for comfort. It's probably the closest thing that Ford has to the RWDAWD Chrysler 300 and FWD Chevy Impala. The new V6 Impala is also light-years ahead of the old model and will blow you away just like the Taurus did.....IMO, its road manners are even better than the Taurus.
Old 05-05-15, 11:34 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new stang. I never like American cars until I test drove a new GTO back on 2006. That car completely changed my opinion. I too was thinking on picking up a used 2011-2014 Mustang GT but really wanted something more unique so I found a '13 Boss 302 for a pretty good price. A good set of wheels and lowering springs and your stang will be even more of a head turner. Also what happened to your Cobra? Those cars are pretty rare now and holding onto their value pretty well. Should of bought one when I had the chance a few years ago. Would of kept it forever too.
Old 05-06-15, 09:15 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABC
During our vacation in America back in 2010, we had a Ford Taurus 4 cylinder which served as our rental car for North California.

I liked it more than the Ford Escape (which was our rental vehicle for South California, Nevada and Arizona)
Old 05-06-15, 06:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea the 2015's are really nice i went and looked at brand new ones before i pulled the trigger on this one but i just couldn't justify spending the extra $15-20k. As nice as the new ones are i dont feel they are $20k nicer than mine. Maybe i will trade mine and pick up a '15 in a couple of years after they depreciate a little.
Out of all the retro-muscle cars I like the Mustang the best, although the new re-style doesn't quite work for me. Too close to an Accord coupe in some ways. I always had a love of the classic mid-60's fastback coupes and that's what FoMoCo did from 05 onward.

Funny though, Lexus diehards will always have the snob factor, but honestly everybody's catching up on quality control and reliability these days.
Old 05-06-15, 08:40 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new car!

When I learned to drive, it was my mom's SN95 GT convertible 5 speed. I never thought I'd buy a Mustang, however, I really like the styling of the current version and they seem like a good bang-for-the-buck type of car!
Old 05-07-15, 09:16 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats on the Stang!!! we can change your username to IDONTOWNALEXUS
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
or IOWNEDALEXUS
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or IOWNEDALEXUSANDNOWIOWNAFORD
or IOWNALEXUSNOT
Old 05-09-15, 07:44 PM