Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Height of automotive advancements

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 02:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's what I miss about older luxury cars, you could get about any paint/interior/option combo your heart desired. Now days your Benz is either Black, Grey, or White
That time has not passed. You can still do anything you want- money talks. Check out this man from Seattle's E63 wagon, which he picked up in Germany at the MB headquarters:

Old 05-06-15, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, just during another advisory board with mb few months back, mb commented how they don't advertise but if customers want, they can really do any paint or features. yup, all just money

now try that on lexus
Old 05-06-15, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That time has not passed. You can still do anything you want- money talks. Check out this man from Seattle's E63 wagon, which he picked up in Germany at the MB headquarters:

And, if he is bring it back to Seattle, we'll assume it was built to American specs, unless he is going to go through the headaches of a waiver and getting it processed as a gray-market import (which can be a real hassle.)
Old 05-06-15, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, if he is bring it back to Seattle, we'll assume it was built to American specs, unless he is going to go through the headaches of a waiver and getting it processed as a gray-market import (which can be a real hassle.)
not sure how disconnected you are, but both bmw and mb offer pretty good european delivery programs. it's pretty widely known and so many people have done that and considering how much this guy has spent on a customized e63 wagon, i won't be surprised that's what he did

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/european_delivery_program
http://www.bmwusa.com/europeandelivery
Old 05-06-15, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
not sure how disconnected you are, but both bmw and mb offer pretty good european delivery programs. it's pretty widely known and so many people have done that and considering how much this guy has spent on a customized e63 wagon, i won't be surprised that's what he did
I'm aware of those programs (I've known people who used them). They don't always apply to all of the company's models, though...just those that can be built to American specs. Perhaps the earlier point about money talking is taken..........enough cash can sometimes either bend the rules a little or bend the means necessary to meet those rules.

Actually, on one issue, I may have spoke too soon. I didn't remember the E63 S Wagon being available in the American market before, built to American specs, but now, according to the MBusa website, it is now an option. That, of course, would explain why he was able to order it here and pick it up in Europe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-15 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 03:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i think it has always been an option, e55 (w211), e63 (w211), and e63 (w212). i have seen all of them, just rare.
Old 05-06-15, 03:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm aware of those programs (I've known people who used them). They don't always apply to all of the company's models, though...just those that can be built to American specs. Perhaps the earlier point about money talking is taken..........enough cash can sometimes either bend the rules a little or bend the means necessary to meet those rules.

Actually, on one issue, I may have spoke too soon. I didn't remember the E63 S Wagon being available in the American market before, built to American specs, but now, according to the MBusa website, it is now an option. That, of course, would explain why he was able to order it here and pick it up in Europe.
You can't do European delivery for a vehicle that isn't currently offered in the U.S., period. That's the easiest way to think of it. Now, there's an additional restriction for European Delivery that comes into effect when you buy a Mercedes not built in Germany. You can spot what's missing here: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/enthus...ivery/vehicles
Old 05-06-15, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You can't do European delivery for a vehicle that isn't currently offered in the U.S., period.
Yes, I understand that. They don't have their factories set up to produce something, even for Euro-delivery, that is not DOT/EPA-approved.

Where I was off the mark is that I didn't know that the E63 wagon could now be ordered that way in the U.S. Like I told Henry (rominl), I should have checked the latest mb-usa website before I questioned it.
Old 05-06-15, 05:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree with all.

depends on how you define 'luxurious'. those cars did tend to have more room in them and cushy comfortable 'armchair' like seats and floaty boat rides (with corresponding horrible body roll and wallowing).
Agreed, luxury car definitions have changed over time. I do think that there is more overlap in what constitutes a luxury car today, cars like the IS, CT, HS are not luxury cars IMO, they are premium cars IMO with a luxury badge.

Buick is not much of a luxury car and neither is the Toyota Avalon. They are both premium cars with a standard badge.

Also, back in the day, luxury car companies promoted "lifestyle" more than what they promote today "experience".

All of that said, I like the current slate of luxury cars.