Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ugly sells : Global Design Chief Tokuo Fukuichi explains the Lexus Grill

Old 04-30-15, 07:19 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
considering that Lexus sales increased 40% since 2012, I dont think it is just you :-).

I think it is big improvement in every car it was introduced to... yes, some look better than others, but so do the cars from other brands too.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I personally think the current Lexus with the spindle grills looks extremely beautiful. I don't care what other people think. Those other people should take a look at themselves and ponder that they look ugly to others.
Old 04-30-15, 08:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spindle grill looks great in the real world, on cars like the IS, RC, NX, and LS.

Looks half assed on the ES and GS. An afterthought on the refreshed CT.

I think the problem is getting the rest of the design to work with the grill, particularly the headlights. The IS headlights are quite bad for example, only acceptable to me with the quad LED option and non-F Sport grill. The standard GS headlights are also very poorly styled.
Old 04-30-15, 09:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

considering that Lexus sales increased 40% since 2012, I dont think it is just you :-).
with new models, increased population, and the stock market on a tear, it's hardly surprising lexus sales are up.

spindle certainly has a variety of sizes and implementations.

the most recent, the nx, looks huge and hideous to me. i could only tolerate it if the car is a dark color to hide it.

in white vehicles, i think the f-sport spindle makes pretty much all lexus models look really bad (not classy).

in their goal to be bold and aggressive, lexus has lost almost all degree of elegance.
Old 04-30-15, 10:27 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with new models, increased population, and the stock market on a tear, it's hardly surprising lexus sales are up.

spindle certainly has a variety of sizes and implementations.

the most recent, the nx, looks huge and hideous to me. i could only tolerate it if the car is a dark color to hide it.

in white vehicles, i think the f-sport spindle makes pretty much all lexus models look really bad (not classy).

in their goal to be bold and aggressive, lexus has lost almost all degree of elegance.
LOL , I think some versions of the spindle grille look extremely elegant AND bold in person
Old 05-01-15, 02:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

I could take or leave the spindle. What I have a problem with is how big central grilles like these mess up what's next to them. The main problem with Lexus having large openings in the center means you cannot have large openings elsewhere up front. This is bad right now because most current, sporty cars from BMW, MBZ, Audi, Infiniti, Ford, Acura have large, side air intakes below the headlights and front bumper. It basically started with Ferrari and Porsche, and has worked it's way down. These aggressive and large side intakes scream "racing," can often be used for brake cooling, and balance out visual openings vs. fullness. But with a huge gaping central grille, too much sheet metal would be missing up front if Lexus opened up holes on the sides below the bumper. What's torture is you see them ever so slightly trying to accomplish this on the RC-F and GS-F, but it's just not possible with the huge central grille. The original IS-F and the LFA (to some extent) were the only Lexus's to feature large side intakes up front. A classy yet sporty look that I still love today and wish Lexus would exploit more.
Old 05-01-15, 03:08 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Typical click bait titles, making it appear that the designer said ugly sells. Ugly is subjective to the story teller but in this case it is purely to attract clicks.
Old 05-01-15, 06:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Typical click bait titles, making it appear that the designer said ugly sells. Ugly is subjective to the story teller but in this case it is purely to attract clicks.
I like a little ugly in my cars. I thought the 2IS was a little too pretty for my taste. I think that contributed to a high ratio of female owners. Predator spindle FtW. Hahaha.
Old 05-01-15, 09:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want to know the true definition for "ugly" where a majority can agree on (weak sales), look up:

Murano convertible
Old 05-01-15, 11:46 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the spindle works really well on the LX 570 though i think it isn't considered to be full spindle grille? Waiting to see how it looks for the 2016 update.
Old 05-01-15, 12:56 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem with the recent styling revolution that Lexus has done is that it is making the cars look much more performance based they really are. I have been underwhelmed at the lack of HP in my RX F sport- underpowered and weighs too much. I think Lexus realized this, which is why they increased the HP to 300 in the 2016 model. Likewise, the much anticipated GS F doesn't even come close to its main competitors in the power department, and has been ridiculed because of this fact...heck the recently unveiled Cadillac CTS-V sedan has 640 HP!!!! And look at the NX F sport... the styling seems to say "I'm an aggressive sports crossover"....with....uh a turbocharged four cylinder???? Put that next to the Porsche Macan, Audi SQ5, and future BMW X3M (or even X3 with M sport package), and there is simply no comparison when it comes to driving dynamics and performance. It's almost as if Lexus doesn't know which way they want to go. My current RX F sport was my first, and likely last Lexus....going to Porsche next time. And I think it is very telling that the guy quoted at the start of this thread admits that Lexus wants to get an edge on the competition through looks alone. I think they should spend more time with what is UNDER the hood.
Old 05-01-15, 01:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thats actually a bad argument as overall car sales are not up to highest levels in the history. We had better years.

And brands like Caddy, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Acura, Infiniti are nowhere their previous highs - in fact, most of their sales are dropping while Lexus is having their record sales in the history of the brand.

It is only Lexus and the german 3 that are increasing sales... rest of them are not doing good at all.
Old 05-01-15, 04:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

And brands like Caddy, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Acura, Infiniti are nowhere their previous highs - in fact, most of their sales are dropping while Lexus is having their record sales in the history of the brand.
At least the aforementioned are making moves, can't fault them for that.

Cadillac: Aligning segment entries to better compete with the top 4 Luxury makes (addition of ATS pushed CTS, and gave room for CT6 , expanding and making a statement with VSport and V

Lincoln: MKC and MKX garnering attention, upcoming name changes, flagship and revised sedans coming. Facelifted Navigator seems to be buying time for the changes.

Jaguar: XE and F-Pace look to add volume in two hot segments, entry level luxury sport and CUVs in general

Volvo: Other than flagship XC90 and pushing new efficient 4-cylinder powertrains, mum seems the word on revised or additional models like S80 replacement/S100?

Acura: MY16 enhancements dramatically improve ILX and RDX, TLX is a major improvement.

Infiniti: Q80, Q30, QX30, MY16 Q60 all can't come soon enough
Old 05-02-15, 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Cadillac: Aligning segment entries to better compete with the top 4 Luxury makes (addition of ATS pushed CTS, and gave room for CT6 , expanding and making a statement with VSport and V

Lincoln: MKC and MKX garnering attention, upcoming name changes, flagship and revised sedans coming. Facelifted Navigator seems to be buying time for the changes.

Jaguar: XE and F-Pace look to add volume in two hot segments, entry level luxury sport and CUVs in general

Volvo: Other than flagship XC90 and pushing new efficient 4-cylinder powertrains, mum seems the word on revised or additional models like S80 replacement/S100?

Acura: MY16 enhancements dramatically improve ILX and RDX, TLX is a major improvement.

yes, and their sales are down :-)

So Lexus sales going up is not due to "population rise" and abundance of money.... it is because people like what Lexus is doing.
Old 05-02-15, 07:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The worst thing any of these brands could do, would be to do nothing. At least they are attempting to do something. Some things may work, others may not, but maybe with some tweaking and revisions some or all of them can reach their goals for each brand.
Old 05-02-15, 12:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The worst thing any of these brands could do, would be to do nothing. At least they are attempting to do something. Some things may work, others may not, but maybe with some tweaking and revisions some or all of them can reach their goals for each brand.
nobody is doing nothing - these are all huge corporations whose main purpose is to make money, they are all investing billions into getting their brand to do better, and pay a lot of smart people to get there... not everyone succeeds though.