Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's been speculated for years. i don't see them leaving.

what's better for a base price of $12,995?

someone i know had an '04 mirage sedan until recently and you could NOT kill that thing. it was smooth, quiet, and relatively comfortable. definitely not fancy, but got the job done. an under appreciated cheap used car.
I would pay a little extra and get a Toyota Yaris for $14,845. You get the Toyota reputation for reliability and quality, you get a car that is made in France, and you get to park it next to a $82,000 Land Cruiser when you need to get service
Old 04-30-15, 01:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would pay a little extra and get a Toyota Yaris for $14,845. You get the Toyota reputation for reliability and quality
good call....

Old 04-30-15, 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^ at least you know Toyota is going to be around and they do not break.
Old 04-30-15, 01:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea Mike is right, Nissan Versa sedan, but it's also one of the least safe vehicle on the road. ._.
Old 04-30-15, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexCTJill
I would pay a little extra and get a Toyota Yaris for $14,845. You get the Toyota reputation for reliability and quality, you get a car that is made in France, and you get to park it next to a $82,000 Land Cruiser when you need to get service
Well, parking it next to an 82K LC probably doesn't mean much when it comes to the actual service involved (15K or 82K, they both get the same Toyota/Lexus-brand filters, spark plugs, oil, brake pads, coolant, etc.....and the same factory-trained techs. Same with a cheap Mirage or top-level Montero at a Mitsubishi shop....they get factory parts and tecns.

The point about Toyota actually being around is probably more valid, as, despite Mitsubishi's continuing insistence that they are going nowhere, I am still not convinced. We heard the same thing, a number of times, from Daihatsu, Isuzu, and Suzuki....."No, we're going to stay and tough it out in the American market". Well, they didn't. In fact, Isuzu, when they left, didn't even sell their own products in the U.S. any more...for several years, all they had was a rebadged GM SUV and a rebadged GM mid-sized pickup.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-15 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 06:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Why?

I rather ride my BMX
Old 04-30-15, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
Why?

I rather ride my BMX
Haro bikes are much better than BMX...
Old 04-30-15, 09:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I would pay a little extra and get a Toyota Yaris for $14,845. You get the Toyota reputation for reliability and quality, you get a car that is made in France
france? surely you're joking that that's a good thing.
Old 05-01-15, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

France can, and does, make some pretty good stuff...particularly with Michelin tires and in the aerospace business. But, no, they are not known for auto reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-01-15, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

At this point in Toyotas history, does it really make a difference where a Toyota is made? I don't think it does anymore.
Old 05-01-15, 09:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

At this point in Toyotas history, does it really make a difference where a Toyota is made? I don't think it does anymore.
i agree but why did you point out yaris being made in france is a plus then?
Old 05-01-15, 09:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i agree but why did you point out yaris being made in france is a plus then?
I just said it because a lot of people have no idea where the Yaris is made and I thought it would grab some attention.

I guess its kinda cool that of you own a Yaris, you have a vehicle that is made in France....you can't say that about other Toyota's

I too was once shocked when I opened the door and looked at the jam and saw made in France.
Old 05-01-15, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, now that you have my take on this car, here's John Davis with Motorweek:

He came to more or less the same conclusion I did, though a little more explicit on the ride and handling:

Old 05-02-15, 02:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I might (?) too, in some instances.....I mentioned that possibility in the review. But some people either just don't want to take a chance with a used car (even Certified ones), or want to have that new-car smell....and don't care what the Jones's think.
I think the mindset of the el-cheapo people buying cars like the Yaris, Mirage, etc is that they can get a brand new car cheaper than 1-2 year old Civic even if they are the exact same price.

The thing you need to remember is the cost of the loan. Usually the APR is way higher on a used car loan than a new car loan, especially on something like this Mitsubishi, where they are offering 0% financing.

Plus if your credit is jacked, sometimes new car makers will overlook that fact and still give you way better financing terms than if you were to get a used car loan from a bank. I know this was the case a few years ago with Mitsubishis, Hyundia Accents, Suzukis, Kia Rios, Geo Metros, etc
Old 05-02-15, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think the mindset of the el-cheapo people buying cars like the Yaris, Mirage, etc is that they can get a brand new car cheaper than 1-2 year old Civic even if they are the exact same price.

The thing you need to remember is the cost of the loan. Usually the APR is way higher on a used car loan than a new car loan, especially on something like this Mitsubishi, where they are offering 0% financing.

Plus if your credit is jacked, sometimes new car makers will overlook that fact and still give you way better financing terms than if you were to get a used car loan from a bank. I know this was the case a few years ago with Mitsubishis, Hyundia Accents, Suzukis, Kia Rios, Geo Metros, etc
I would rather have a new Yaris than a 1-2 year old Civic.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage