Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro Causes Accident, Passing on Left Shoulder

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 01:25 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The truck driver became an *** after the fact. The whole deal started when the Camaro driver tried to force his way into the left lane by clearly trying to force his way into the side of the truck. At that point what the trunk driver did was just a reaction of being pissed off that the Camaro driver tried to run him off the road. The only thing the trunk driver is guilty of is being an ***. The Camaro driver could have avoided the whole thing had he just casually changed lanes behind the truck and had he not pissed of the trunk driver he would have been able to get in front of the rig in just a few moments.

What moron passes on the grass? Oh that's right, a freakin worthless drunk that's who.
Old 04-29-15, 02:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you see someone driving like in that Camaro you just pull back, let the idiot go through. You don't try to police them and never, ever drive parallel with right lane car!!! That is the most dangerous thing you can do and yet a lot of them are doing it.
Old 04-29-15, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The Camaro driver could have avoided the whole thing had he just casually changed lanes behind the truck and had he not pissed of the trunk driver he would have been able to get in front of the rig in just a few moments.
The Camaro driver could have avoided the whole thing if he had simply slowed his a** down.
Old 04-29-15, 10:08 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
But we don't know if the pickup driver is going under the speed limit...
Well, he was holding position alongside a semi...so I'd bet dollars to donuts he was doing 5 under.

And what the hell is with all the people assuming that being mad at the guy in the pickup means you're siding with the guy in the camaro?

I have not seen one person justify the guy in the camaro. He should spend 5 years in prison IMO, especially if he's driven drunk before.

MMarshall, does it really bother you that much that people speed? If somebody is coming up behind me, I do not at all mind moving over to let them pass, even if I'm already going over the limit.
Personal accountability, let the speeder be responsible for his own disobedience.
Old 04-29-15, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
MMarshall, does it really bother you that much that people speed? If somebody is coming up behind me, I do not at all mind moving over to let them pass, even if I'm already going over the limit.
Personal accountability, let the speeder be responsible for his own disobedience.

I'm not the only person in this thread, BTW, with that view.

I agree with you on the responsibility issue, but too many people AREN'T held responsible for their actions.

I generally don't get p***ed if people in the left lane want to pass....even though the speed may be illegal, I would expect it, as left-lane passing is traditional in many countries. But if some a** **** flashes his or her lights behind me, tailgates, or flips the Bronx Salute at me in the RIGHT lane (and I've seen that a few times), then that's another matter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-15 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 04:48 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
When you see someone driving like in that Camaro you just pull back, let the idiot go through. You don't try to police them and never, ever drive parallel with right lane car!!! That is the most dangerous thing you can do and yet a lot of them are doing it.
there are so many people around here that intentionally block the left lane when there's a semi in the right. I am never comfortable driving with a semi next to me and want to speed away from them as quickly as possible. while i know this camaro driver was totally at fault the pick up driver really should have just sped up and let the rest of the cars behind him pass the damn semi.
Old 04-29-15, 05:03 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always find it impressive when people blame everyone around them including other vs. putting the actual blame on the perpetrator.

Causation equals effect.

The situation dictated is as follows:
1. Camaro driver didn't drive drunk
2. Camaro didn't drive recklessly
3. Camaro driver didn't attempt to execute unsafe lane change
4. Camaro didn't attempt to pass on the left shoulder/unpaved road.

Just like everything else that's going on in the world, people want to point fingers at everyone else; such as if the truck driver didn't drive slowly this wouldn't have happened.

No.. sorry. If it did not happen with that truck, it would have happened with someone else. Possibly a mother, possibly a child, possibly them losing their lives.

And to all those that advocate reckless driving you can only push the law so far before the law pushes back. And that doesn't just apply to LEO, it applies to the laws of life too.
Old 04-29-15, 05:40 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not the only person in this thread, BTW, with that view.

I agree with you on the responsibility issue, but too many people AREN'T held responsible for their actions.

I generally don't get p***ed if people in the left lane want to pass....even though the speed may be illegal, I would expect it, as left-lane passing is traditional in many countries. But if some a** **** flashes his or her lights behind me, tailgates, or flips the Bronx Salute at me in the RIGHT lane (and I've seen that a few times), then that's another matter.
Is there a polite way to let someone know that you want to pass?
Old 04-29-15, 06:31 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really. but in this case it was BEYOND wanting to pass.

Funny just went through a mandatory briefing encouraging us to remain calm when such things occur.

being upset is natural; fight or flight.
Old 04-29-15, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Very much so. First, you don't do it in the right lane....the right lane is for slower traffic. Second, you don't tailgate. Third, you flash your high-beams once or twice, without keeping them on. Fourth, you don't flip a finger as you go by. And, fifth, you don't brake-check somebody right in front of their bumper else once you get past them just to rile them.
Old 04-29-15, 07:36 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very much so. First, you don't do it in the right lane....the right lane is for slower traffic. Second, you don't tailgate. Third, you flash your high-beams once or twice, without keeping them on. Fourth, you don't flip a finger as you go by. And, fifth, you don't brake-check somebody right in front of their bumper else once you get past them just to rile them.
Agreed. But some think flashing your high beam is rude and take offense. If I'm in the fast lane going 10 over and a car approaches me rapidly from behind, I just kindly get out of the way. And if I approach a slow driver in the fast lane and they don't move over, I don't high beam them. I just wait until it's safe and pass them on the right. Too many hotheads on the roads nowadays (with guns too). That truck driver was a jerk by not letting the camaro pass. With that said, the Camaro was 100% at fault. Being a jerk is not against the law (we don't know he was going below the speed limit).
Old 04-29-15, 08:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The Camaro driver was an a$$. However, passing on the right is perfectly acceptable in the U.S. It's just the way it is because people lounge on the left lane. I've learned that if I'm going faster than the car in front of me in the left, the safest thing for me is to quickly overtake the car by going on the right lane and be on my merry way. I've learned from experience it's better to overtake QUICKLY without giving them an opportunity to race / be aggressive / other... Human nature just can't be trusted.
Old 04-29-15, 10:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jcochong37

No.. sorry. If it did not happen with that truck, it would have happened with someone else. Possibly a mother, possibly a child, possibly them losing their lives.
^ That's my whole point. If the guy in the pickup had let the Camaro by, the pickup driver would not have been involved in an accident.

When I see people driving aggressively/erratically like that Camaro driver, I either let them on by, or speed up and put some distance between us. No sense in stooping to their level and playing games.
Old 04-30-15, 10:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jcochong37
I always find it impressive when people blame everyone around them including other vs. putting the actual blame on the perpetrator.

Causation equals effect.

The situation dictated is as follows:
1. Camaro driver didn't drive drunk
2. Camaro didn't drive recklessly
3. Camaro driver didn't attempt to execute unsafe lane change
4. Camaro didn't attempt to pass on the left shoulder/unpaved road.

Just like everything else that's going on in the world, people want to point fingers at everyone else; such as if the truck driver didn't drive slowly this wouldn't have happened.

And to all those that advocate reckless driving you can only push the law so far before the law pushes back. And that doesn't just apply to LEO, it applies to the laws of life too.

I know I already said this but you clearly do not get it. NOBODY IS ABSOLVING THE CAMARO DRIVER.

None of us advocate reckless driving. Trying to block an angry drunk driver, while well intentioned, is reckless driving.
Old 04-30-15, 12:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't think the pickup driver can know the camaro driver is drunk or just a super jerk ... but yes I would have just let him pass ... not worth the potential risks, your life is worth much more than jerks like this ...

Quick Reply: Camaro Causes Accident, Passing on Left Shoulder