Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro Causes Accident, Passing on Left Shoulder

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 06:16 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Camaro Causes Accident, Passing on Left Shoulder

Tim Linton had just bought a new dashcam and hadn't even set the proper date yet when he happened to catch this crash on the Thruway near Batavia, NY last week.

Action begins at 2:16 when the Camaro driver, 32-year-old Kiran Thapa makes his move.

The Camaro crashes into a pickup and an 18-wheeler while trying to pass on a narrow left shoulder. OK, the driver was drunk and unlicensed, so he was charged in the accident and hauled off by the cops. But isn't there a way this could have all been avoided?

If you view the entire video, it's clear the pickup and the truck are pacing one another, attempting to block the Camaro from passing. This is NEVER a good idea - to frustrate a drunk. You should know he's going to do something unbelievably stupid. This could have been avoided if the pickup driver had either pulled in behind the tractor-trailer rig, or sped up and passed, clearing the lane for the drunk.

Thankfully, no one was hurt in this accident, but it's just not a good idea to practice your own brand of law enforcement out on the highway. Sure, you'd like to teach the idiot a lesson, but it could be a very expensive one. Just move over and let him have the lane.
Old 04-27-15, 06:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they found out the camaro driver's BAC was .19 and he tried to run after causing the accident
Old 04-27-15, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
they found out the camaro driver's BAC was .19 and he tried to run after causing the accident
Besides DWI, reckless driving, no license, and failure to maintain control, even more reasons to lock him up. Leaving the scene of an accident and flight are additional crimes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-15 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 06:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and a busted tail light
Old 04-27-15, 07:36 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pickup should have changed lanes and let the moron keep driving.

Was this his car or he borrowed it from someone? I do not get, if you do not have a license, how can you have a car?
Old 04-27-15, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Perhaps so, but it won't be the pickup driver going to prison. Legally, the Camaro jock was clearly at fault. Moronic driving pays its consequences.

Was this his car or he borrowed it from someone? I do not get, if you do not have a license, how can you have a car?
This is not unusual at all. Criminals often are caught driving without a license (or with a suspended license), and get a hold of cars in many ways.
Old 04-27-15, 11:54 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. The Camaro driver was clearly at fault but the truck driver should not walk away free.
Old 04-28-15, 09:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
I was thinking the same thing. The Camaro driver was clearly at fault but the pickup truck driver should not walk away free.
agreed, pretty obvious the pickup driver was being an azz as well - "he's not getting in front of me!" so was it worth not just letting him in?? I'd like to ask him that question.
Old 04-28-15, 11:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

You can own a vehicle without a driver's license.

Of course, we don't know if he owns it or not.

I can't watch the video at work, but do we know that the guy in the pickup knew the camaro driver was drunk? I see people do this every time I travel somewhere. The roads are filled to the brim with ****** like that.

Also, even if they knew, the proper action would be to let him by and call it in.
Old 04-28-15, 11:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Guy in the pickup truck could have saved himself a lot of grief if he had let the punk *** in the Camaro on by. People like that, I always let them by. Let them get pulled over or wreck somebody else, don't play games with them by blocking them.

Also the semi-truck driver was lucky he didn't roll his rig leaving the road like that. If it had been something like a van half full of crap where the load could shift, he might have gone over on his side.

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-28-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 11:22 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I hate people like this truck driver on the road. They're clearly on a mission to **** people off, he was illegally blocking the passing lane, he was driving slower than the big rig. No reason to be on the fast lane period, should be locked up with the drunk driver all together in the same jail cell. Drunk driver was actually kind of nice about changing lane in the beginning, how many drunks do you see use a blinker to change lane?

Old 04-28-15, 11:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I hate people like this truck driver on the road. They're clearly on a mission to **** people off, he was illegally blocking the passing lane, he was driving slower than the big rig. No reason to be on the fast lane period, should be locked up with the drunk driver all together in the same jail cell. Drunk driver was actually kind of nice about changing lane in the beginning, how many drunks do you see use a blinker to change lane?

That actually looks like enough space for me to get through Love the Sport+ mash technique in those situations
Old 04-28-15, 12:55 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy in the camaro deserves to go to prison, he's a special kind of idiot. However, the guy in the pick up is a moron in his own right. He should have moved to the right and stopped hogging the left lane.
Old 04-28-15, 01:52 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
agreed, pretty obvious the pickup driver was being an azz as well - "he's not getting in front of me!" so was it worth not just letting him in?? I'd like to ask him that question.
Spot on! However, the pickup driver did nothing illegal--being a jerk isn't against the law. I'm sure he regrets being an *** though.
Old 04-28-15, 02:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Spot on! However, the pickup driver did nothing illegal--being a jerk isn't against the law. I'm sure he regrets being an *** though.
Some states actually have laws that vehicles traveling under the speed limit on multi-lane highways should be in the right lanes when safe/possible and allow others to pass in the left lane. No idea if NY has such a law or the speeds of the vehicles in the video.

Quick Reply: Camaro Causes Accident, Passing on Left Shoulder