Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ceramic Pro coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 06:43 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Ceramic Pro coating

Just wondering if anyone has tried the ceramic pro coating. I'm having the 5 year warranty coating done on my 2011 is-f paint, wheels and calipers. It's a little expensive but considering the level of protection and that the car always looks wet I think it will be worth it.

Old 04-26-15, 10:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

How much are you getting it for? From what I have read you are paying a lot of money for highly hyped/highly advertised product. I would not spend the kind of money on it I see quoted, over $500. I don't think it is going to do much of anything more then other far less expensive long lasting sealant products out there for your finish that you can get for less then $100 like OC. I would just stick to a regular routine of washing, sealing, claying, polishing over applying a really expensive "miracle product" plus there is always the possibility you may screw up applying it and make things worse.

The detailing section would be a better place for this question.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ramic-pro.html
Old 04-26-15, 11:40 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How much are you getting it for? From what I have read you are paying a lot of money for highly hyped/highly advertised product. I would not spend the kind of money on it I see quoted, over $500. I don't think it is going to do much of anything more then other far less expensive long lasting sealant products out there for your finish that you can get for less then $100 like OC. I would just stick to a regular routine of washing, sealing, claying, polishing over applying a really expensive "miracle product" plus there is always the possibility you may screw up applying it and make things worse.

The detailing section would be a better place for this question.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ramic-pro.html
OC is not $100. First off you can't even buy OC, and any place that will install it will charge at least $500 if there is VERY minimal prep work and probably no polishing done. (most times it's closer to or over $1000).
Old 04-26-15, 12:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
OC is not $100. First off you can't even buy OC, and any place that will install it will charge at least $500 if there is VERY minimal prep work and probably no polishing done. (most times it's closer to or over $1000).
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

Looks like they are calling it Opti Gloss now. $59.99 and you can order it from several places.

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html

$57.99 and you can get it from several places.

Nowhere near $500 or $1000 and the person can apply it them self

These are the products I am talking about and what I recommend the OP use instead of spending $500 on that Ceramic Pro.

Paying someone $500-$1000 to apply OC is ridiculous even if it does last longer then the above products.
Old 04-26-15, 12:33 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

Looks like they are calling it Opti Gloss now. $59.99 and you can order it from several places.

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html

$57.99 and you can get it from several places.

Nowhere near $500 or $1000 and the person can apply it them self

These are the products I am talking about and what I recommend the OP use instead of spending $500 on that Ceramic Pro.

Paying someone $500-$1000 to apply OC is ridiculous even if it does last longer then the above products.
You clearly have no idea what process is usually involved in preparing the car properly for OC...

Paint correction can take upwards of 10-15 hours, not counting the initial wash/decon process.

The reason you see so many people (aka Autogeekers who think they are know-it-alls) claiming OC 2.0 (now Gloss Coat) failed after a few months is because they have no idea what they are doing when they install it. That's why it's not cheap to pay someone to do it right. And gloss coat vs. OC Pro are totally different products not only in the difference and ease of application but also what the product offers in terms of durability. Take it from a guy that's done hundreds of cars with both products, they are NOT the same thing.

Is it cheaper to get the coating and do it yourself? Sure, if you already own a buffer, pads, polishes, MF towels, and all the chemicals a typical detail requires. Otherwise just pay someone to do it who has experience with it, so like you said yourself, you don't mess it up, which is extremely easy to do with OC Pro, not so much Gloss coat or other coatings sold to the public.
Old 04-26-15, 01:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You clearly have no idea what process is usually involved in preparing the car properly for OC...

Paint correction can take upwards of 10-15 hours, not counting the initial wash/decon process.

The reason you see so many people (aka Autogeekers who think they are know-it-alls) claiming OC 2.0 (now Gloss Coat) failed after a few months is because they have no idea what they are doing when they install it. That's why it's not cheap to pay someone to do it right. And gloss coat vs. OC Pro are totally different products not only in the difference and ease of application but also what the product offers in terms of durability. Take it from a guy that's done hundreds of cars with both products, they are NOT the same thing.

Is it cheaper to get the coating and do it yourself? Sure, if you already own a buffer, pads, polishes, MF towels, and all the chemicals a typical detail requires. Otherwise just pay someone to do it who has experience with it, so like you said yourself, you don't mess it up, which is extremely easy to do with OC Pro, not so much Gloss coat or other coatings sold to the public.
LOL, I can assure you I know about car prep and polishing and so do many people on Autogeek and other detailing sites, you don't have to tell me anything. I have been detailing and polishing my cars, families cars, neighbors cars, and customer cars for many years and know all about how long it takes and the backbreaking process you go through to polish a car. I simply provided a link for the OP for a less biased conversation about Ceramic Pro other then the marketing hype/language of Ceramic Pro.

Charging someone and paying someone close to $1000 to apply a top sealant, no matter how high tech is ridiculous and a waste of money in just about all cases unless you have a very expensive car you are keeping for a long time and have money to burn , it is not going to provide anywhere near the protection/thickness as the factory clearcoat and you will still have to deal with rock chips, scrapes, etc which it won't protect against.

What makes you such an authority on detailing/products that you think you know better then everyone else who also details and try to say they don't have a clue what they talking about?
Old 04-26-15, 01:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I can assure you I know about car prep and polishing and so do many people on Autogeek and other detailing sites, you don't have to tell me anything. I have been detailing and polishing my cars, families cars, neighbors cars, and customer cars for many years and know all about how long it takes and the backbreaking process you go through to polish a car. I simply provided a link for the OP for a less biased conversation about Ceramic Pro other then the marketing hype/language of Ceramic Pro.

Charging someone and paying someone close to $1000 to apply a top sealant, no matter how high tech is ridiculous and a waste of money in just about all cases unless you have a very expensive car you are keeping for a long time and have money to burn , it is not going to provide anywhere near the protection/thickness as the factory clearcoat and you will still have to deal with rock chips, scrapes, etc which it won't protect against.

What makes you such an authority on detailing/products that you think you know better then everyone else who also details and try to say they don't have a clue what they talking about?
My friend, the reason I said you have no clue what you are talking about is because you said $500-1000 is too costly to OC a car.

If you say that, that tells me you know little about the process. Go look around what even the cheapest place charges to apply OC Pro (stop referring to Gloss Coat as OC). Also, go check how much a 15ml syringe of OC Pro costs.

Your statements are telling me that all these well known and respected shops are "crooks" and are stealing people's money. I take offense to that. These places are not charging that to "apply" the coating, which takes only about an hour to two hours. They are charging for the paint prep before coating application which can range from a wash/decon/ OC Primer Polish on a a new light colored car with little to no defects to a lengthy paint correction process on a car that has a beat up finish.

If $500-$1000 is too much, how much do you charge to do a paint correction and OC? Sounds like I need to send my own car to you next time around because you'll do it cheaper than I can afford to do it for myself.
Old 04-26-15, 04:40 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

It's about 1600 and they completely prep the whole body beforehand removing even the smallest scratches and swirls. They do 4 coats and then a final coat that's gets treated with a light to make it rock hard. Having my wheels and calipers done too. The shop owner says you don't have to wax do much to keep the car looking perfect. Has a five year warranty and they have another package that has a lifetime warranty
Old 04-26-15, 04:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisp1
It's about 1600 and they completely prep the whole body beforehand removing even the smallest scratches and swirls. They do 4 coats and then a final coat that's gets treated with a light to make it rock hard. Having my wheels and calipers done too. The shop owner says you don't have to wax do much to keep the car looking perfect. Has a five year warranty and they have another package that has a lifetime warranty
Ceramic Pro is agreat product. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just speaking from experience. Did a product test on it well over a year ago and compared it to other coatings that were applied to different sections on a roof of a car. So far, it's without question one of the better coatings out there. Easily on par with OC Pro, CQ Finest, 22PLE.
Old 04-27-15, 06:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

$500 is cheap to have paint correction and ceramic coating done. It's tedious work getting the paint prepped and most people wouldn't have the time/capability to correct their paint. Many will mess up trying to DIY and will cost them more in the long time.
Old 04-27-15, 03:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see any reason to spend $1600 on a sealant treatment, you can put that money to much better use with much less expensive be still very good sealants and other detailing products, paying to have the car detailed, buying a buffer, etc. You would be lucky if it adds any value to your car when you sell it and it is still not going to protect your finish from rock/paint chips or scraps. I would just stick to washing, claying, polishing, and a reasonably priced sealant regiment to keep your finish looking good but if you really want to spend that kind of money on someone prepping and applying a sealant coating for a IS-F go for it.
Old 05-22-15, 07:15 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

from the pictures and from talking to the guy over the phone the finish looks amazing. picking the car up tomorrow so I will know for sure
Old 05-23-15, 06:13 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice. As a side note, MB vehicles are clear coated with similar technology. It used to be nano ceramic particles developed by Sikkens/PPG(?) but now also BASF with the Glasurit line.
Old 05-23-15, 07:37 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see any reason to spend $1600 on a sealant treatment, you can put that money to much better use with much less expensive be still very good sealants and other detailing products, paying to have the car detailed, buying a buffer, etc. You would be lucky if it adds any value to your car when you sell it and it is still not going to protect your finish from rock/paint chips or scraps. I would just stick to washing, claying, polishing, and a reasonably priced sealant regiment to keep your finish looking good but if you really want to spend that kind of money on someone prepping and applying a sealant coating for a IS-F go for it.
That is the whole point. If it is anything like the MB clearcoat, it is just so easy to wash and the car shines like new. I have a 2010 MB that I never waxed and all it needs is a plain soap wash every now and then.
Old 05-23-15, 10:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yep, after putting on my ceramic coat, I haven't had to polish or wax in 3 years. The paint doesn't swirl as easily so long as you're using the right wash method. I no longer have time to detail so this is one of the best investment I've made so far. Once in a while I'll top off the paint with hydro2 during my car wash to make it even glossier.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro coating