Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac President employing Floyd Mayweather-like marketing tactics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 04:29 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cadillac President employing Floyd Mayweather-like marketing tactics?-image-2801798766.jpg In my daily check in on CTS-V news I came across this FB post from Johan D. What do you all think about this type of commentary from the head individual in charge? I rather enjoy it, as long as the specified cars can back it up. Competition is good for the consumer. I guess what stands out is how direct he is in reference to the "German fanboys." Will these tactics help re-build the brand image Caddy needs to take market share? Is building beasts ("V" cars) the way to get (younger) buyers into non-V models? Surely (as planned) they need more models to choose from which will help.

Side note: Could Lexus take any advice from Caddy (V) in regards to "F"?

Last edited by GSthe4th; 04-24-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What do you all think about this type of commentary from the head individual in charge?
My opinion? Meh. More or less a 21st-Century rehash of the same stuff we heard 30 years ago from Lee Iacocca over at Chrysler....and the stuff from Ford about "Quality Being Job 1", and 'Have you driven a Ford.....Lately"? I'm a firm believer that cars have to earn their praise. I never judge a car by what CEOs or marketing people say in PR statements......too many times I've found it isn't so.

That's not to say, though, that auto execs always peddle junk. Virtually all new cars now, regardless of nameplate, are much better than they were 30 years ago. And the CTS is indeed a good competitor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 04:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
Attachment 360522 In my daily check in on CTS-V news I came across this FB post from Johan D. What do you all think about this type of commentary from the head individual in charge? I rather enjoy it, as long as the specified cars can back it up. Competition is good for the consumer. I guess what stands out is how direct he is in reference to the "German fanboys." Will these tactics help build the brand image Caddy needs to take market share?
Whatever! Aside from the Cadillac Escalade, GMs Cadillacs have no prestige value whatsoever. Its kinda like the IS-F, most AMG or BMW M buyers would rather have the MB or BMW badge.

I'm afraid Cadillac does not get it, people don't really want their cars.
Old 04-24-15, 05:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Could Lexus take any advice from Caddy (V) in regards to "F"?
Lexus should follow Audi and Cadillac cues and position F-Sport like S and VSport respectively the middle ground between A/?TS and RS/V
Old 04-24-15, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

F-sport is fine. It sells well and its accepted.
Old 04-24-15, 05:21 PM
LexRTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bold statements but not sure if it helps the brand or what purpose it serves in the big picture. Interestingly enough though I just visited a Cadillac dealer today to get info on & test drive a new SRX and it along with the dealership was quite impressive. If I wasn't set with a purchase of a NX F Sport, the SRX would definitely be in the mix of choices.
Old 04-24-15, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

side note: Could Lexus take any advice from Caddy (V) in regards to "F"?
One feature that Caddy used to have on V-models was a nice, meshed-grille made of real brushed-metal, not just painted or shiny-coated plastic. Considering that the RC-F another full-F-models start at over 60K, for that price, instead of a black grille, I think that Lexus could consider using the same kind of nice metal grille-netting, even with the spindle shape. At least offer it as an option if not standard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 07:22 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

For what it's worth, Cadillac are doing well in China with their ATS-L and CTS-L stretched models and they're doing a big marketing push on the performance aspects of the brand. Johan D seems to be continuing that "imported from Detroit" tagline that was used years before.

Lincoln, for all the talk of the popularity of their "presidential" heritage, can't seem to sell a darn thing to the Chinese - I've only seen one MKZ in my time there, compared to loads more Maseratis.
Old 04-24-15, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Johan D seems to be continuing that "imported from Detroit" tagline that was used years before.
Chrysler used that line in ads for its 200 and 300. In fact, the 200 actually has rubber floor mats with outlines of tall Detroit buildings molded into them.

Lincoln, for all the talk of the popularity of their "presidential" heritage, can't seem to sell a darn thing to the Chinese - I've only seen one MKZ in my time there, compared to loads more Maseratis.
The Chinese aren't dumb. They know that the MKZ is not an impressive product. I suspect that the MKC will sell, though, as it becomes better-known there. They also aren't dumb in that the Buick Verano (Excelle) has been their top-selling vehicle for two or three years now.
Old 04-24-15, 09:12 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm a firm believer that cars have to earn their praise. I never judge a car by what CEOs or marketing people say in PR statements......too many times I've found it isn't so. That's not to say, though, that auto execs always peddle junk. Virtually all new cars now, regardless of nameplate, are much better than they were 30 years ago. And the CTS is indeed a good competitor.
Agreed, although I believe the CTS (especially V sport and V) are established competitors. Will be interesting to see the sentiment with the new ATS/CTS-V's. On paper they look "better" that their competitors. I am also interested in their price jumps.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Whatever! Aside from the Cadillac Escalade, GMs Cadillacs have no prestige value whatsoever. Its kinda like the IS-F, most AMG or BMW M buyers would rather have the MB or BMW badge. I'm afraid Cadillac does not get it, people don't really want their cars.
Even if the general public doesn't see Caddy as "prestigious," it doesnt mean that their cars arent worthy competitors to the mentioned brands. That would be ignorant to conclude.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus should follow Audi and Cadillac cues and position F-Sport like S and VSport respectively the middle ground between A/?TS and RS/V
I wholeheartedly agree. If they had done that already there is a good chance I would not be selling my GS.

Originally Posted by chromedome
For what it's worth, Cadillac are doing well in China with their ATS-L and CTS-L stretched models and they're doing a big marketing push on the performance aspects of the brand.
Return on investment will involve a global approach, of course. Will be interesting to see if Caddy is able to take back some of the American market.
Old 04-24-15, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever! Aside from the Cadillac Escalade, GMs Cadillacs have no prestige value whatsoever. Its kinda like the IS-F, most AMG or BMW M buyers would rather have the MB or BMW badge. I'm afraid Cadillac does not get it, people don't really want their cars.
Originally Posted by GSthe4th

Even if the general public doesn't see Caddy as "prestigious," it doesnt mean that their cars arent worthy competitors to the mentioned brands. That would be ignorant to conclude.
You are right on, GSthe4th. With the possible exception of the unimpressive XTS, the rest of the Cadillac lineup is pretty decent competition....and would be even better competition if they dump the CUE system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 05:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That post was probably not written by Johan himself but by Cadillac Marketing / PR. It was just posted under his name for the marketing perception. Companies have PR people dedicated to nothing but social media -- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. -- to ensure that they get their message out in a consistent fashion.

But... My impression of that PR post was tainted by the following news article... Modern Caddies may be able handle, brake, steer and corner well, but they cannot stop. (I know that the recall is for older cars but that headline, juxtaposed with the FB post, was interesting.)

Cadillac calling in 4,900 CTS-V models for brake issue

General Motors is recalling just over 4,900 first-generation Cadillac CTS-V sedans built between September 6, 2003 and June 11, 2007. The affected vehicles are largely registered in cold weather states where rock salt is used on roads.
Source: Autoblog
Old 04-25-15, 07:36 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-sport is fine. It sells well and its accepted.
I think they're talking about full performance cars not trim packages
Old 04-25-15, 05:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dynamically the base ATS and CTS platforms have been proven to be quite dynamic and well reviewed... I have no doubt the ATS-V reviews, which will be out very very shortly, will be quite positive.

As we've discussed in previous threads before, Cadillac's current problem is pricing. Just because their cars might be much improved, doesn't mean they can move pricing up along side competitors in one fell swoop. They would have done well to employ a value proposition on pricing, that would attract people who might be willing to give them a chance, and then word of mouth would have spread more organically.

Pricing right along the German rivals seems to have kept people from even trying out the Cadillacs, which leaves all their hard work in product development unnoticed.

However, Cadillac's commitment to strong halo vehicles and a distinct focus on that a full V vehicle should be is impressive.
Old 04-25-15, 05:43 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One feature that Caddy used to have on V-models was a nice, meshed-grille made of real brushed-metal, not just painted or shiny-coated plastic. Considering that the RC-F another full-F-models start at over 60K, for that price, instead of a black grille, I think that Lexus could consider using the same kind of nice metal grille-netting, even with the spindle shape. At least offer it as an option if not standard.

That is NOT a CTS-V grille. That is a gaudy aftermarket mesh grille.

Cadillac's OEM grille was a bit more tasteful.

Quick Reply: Cadillac President employing Floyd Mayweather-like marketing tactics?