Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 11:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...te-z06-review/

Engine: SC 6.2L V8
Power: 650 HP / 650 LB-FT
Transmission: 7-Speed Manual
0-60 Time: 3.2 Seconds
Top Speed: 195 MPH
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 3,524 LBS
Seating: 2
Cargo: 15.0 CU-FT
MPG: 15 City / 22 HWY
Warranty: 3 Years / 36,000 Miles
Base Price: $78,000
As Tested Price: $85,565

"Corvette" has stood for American muscle, American sports car, and American supercar. In many cases, it still stands for America: liberty on the go, LS-powered freedom.

There was also a time when it meant really impressive numbers that didn't equate to really impressive handling, and a not-so-nice cabin. The handling issue really turned the road-legal corner when the C5 Z06 was introduced in 2001, and by the time the super-duper ZR1 ended its run in 2010, Corvette had exorcised practically all of its dynamic demons.

But when I took a seat in the 2015 Corvette Z06 on the first day of my week-long loan, I espied a few demons still squatting in the interior. When colleague Seyth Miersma drove the Z06, he wrote, "Listen, I'm not going to be the guy that dogs the Corvette for having a cheap-feeling interior, this generation has put those once-legitimate claims to rest." Well, I am going to be that guy, because I don't think those claims have been put to rest.

One day Chevy will give us leather that looks and feels like leather, instead of the astonishingly thin hide that is laid directly on top of the instrument panel structure. This material was set off by white stitching, but there were no seams, just a trail of white stitches. In some places it was hard to tell where the leather ended and the plastic began; or it might all have been the same upholstery, I don't know. Five dollars of foam padding would add five thousand dollars of luxury to the cockpit.

One day Corvette will have plastics that don't look so plasticky. I know General Motors can do it. And after years of thinking Corvette seats were too wide and flat, this latest Z06 is almost there. The seatbacks were nice, but the exaggerated side bolstering on the seat bottoms was too narrow and sharp. That's a personal preference, though; other drivers with thinner thighs will think differently.

My complaint isn't that the interior isn't luxurious, it's that it's not luxurious enough. If Chevrolet was worried about pricing, it could add some kind of profligate package to the options list. Have some ex-Porsche people design it, call it the Teutonic Splendor Package, slap a massive price on it, and count the money. People will buy it, and no one will ever have to say again, "But the interior..."

That said, this test car's cabin had every feature I wanted. The gauge cluster was bright, crisp, and readable in every shade of daylight. It was tough to access some of the features in the eight-inch touchscreen, but that's because there's so much content housed within. Visibility was excellent everywhere except the rear three-quarter view, but a very good backup camera and blind spot detection filled in the blanks after personal caution and using my eyes. I could even see plenty out of the smallish backlight and over the Very Serious Spoiler. It was roomy inside. Trunk space was plentiful. The car had a WiFi hotspot. The cabin was a very nice place to do business, despite my desire for more luxury.

The car's body is also tops. I found it looked best from 20 feet away, when the eye is primarily taken with how it surges up from nose to tail, angry purpose in front, enforcing muscle in the back. Get right up on it and you notice how busy the bodywork is, with its lines, creases, and contrasting bits. I like the winglet covers over the vents in the rear fenders, but I wish Chevy offered an option for body-colored vents and rear spoiler – its overall shape doesn't need help, but especially in back it could benefit from fewer things-and-stuff.

As you know, the real business is under the hood. The 6.2-liter LT4 V8 deserves a Best Actor nomination, its 1.7-liter Eaton supercharger should win Best Supporting. It's never been so easy to pilot a square 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, nor so enjoyable to do for hours on end. There are five drive modes – Eco, Tour, Sport, Track, and Weather – but I only used Tour and Sport regularly. The car felt restrained in Eco but didn't strangle itself. That was a pleasant surprise, but hey, there's a lot of leeway when you're starting with the power of almost two Porsche 911s put together.

The only reason I'd switch to Sport around town was that throttle tip-in was so relaxed in Tour that I stalled the car on a few occasions when pulling away from a stoplight. On the subject of that seven-speed manual transmission, one of the dash displays shows what gear you're in, which comes in handy; the gearbox spacing is so tight that sometimes I wouldn't realize I was in the wrong gear until I looked at the display. The magnetic suspension setting in Tour was awesome at swallowing up LA's chock-full-of-nuts road surfaces, bestowing poise for all-day driving comfort. In Sport the controls are sharper without being twitchy, but the suspension really firms up – it is impossible to confuse it for Tour unless you're on a polished road, and that's before you get to the suddenly rumbly exhaust note through the four, three-inch pipes.

Find a curvy road where you can use Sport for its intended purpose, throw it in second or third gear depending on how high up in the rev range you want to be (and how many feral creatures you want to frighten to death), and every second is a thrill. Turn-in is immediate, the suspension is excellent at soaking up blemishes while keeping the tires placed to use their grip, the Brembo brakes just won't quit, and the thing just pours out 55-gallon drums of power on demand. The Z06 only shows its size during really tight maneuvers. Give it just a tiny bit of room to breathe, though, and it'll run with anything larger than a Lotus. And the sound it makes, that unique timbre of power and displacement and snarling and thunder and freedom, is the mating call of an entire nation.

This car was a blast to drive fast, it was blast to drive slow. One of the best things I can say is that I felt guilty not driving it every moment it was here. If I was too busy to drive it, I drove it anyway. If I had already driven it and had nothing to do, I drove it again. If I could have cleared out my whole week and just driven this car, I would have done that.

I griped about the cabin, but the Z06 starts at $78,000. The one I drove had a few luxury options like ventilated seats and carbon fiber trim, but not the Z07 Performance Package, and it was $85,565 out the door. I can't say this loudly enough: for that price, Chevy is giving this car away.

The Nissan GT-R starts at $101,700 and you miss a lot of what you get in the Z06, like a manual transmission and a soul. A base Porsche 911 costs $84,300 for 350 horsepower and an interior that won't win any awards. The 911 GT3 is fantastic and in the right professional hands can out-duel the Z06 on the track, but it costs $130,400, it isn't as roomy inside. And when the GT3 isn't on the track – which is almost all of the time – it isn't as relaxed as the Z06. And in the Corvette, I can see out the back window, I get a real trunk, and I can remove the roof.

You need to spend at least $13,700 to find another car that can touch its performance, or $52,000 for a car that does as well and is as fun to drive. Yet in both cases, you lose out on key parts of the Corvette Z06's package. I'll say it one more time for emphasis: at under $86 grand, Chevy is giving this car away. The 2015 Corvette Z06 isn't just "great for the price." It's just plain great. Period.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/24/2...view/#image-38
Old 04-24-15, 09:23 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry, but i'm just Not a Vette Guy but i DO like their new body style compared to their last ones (though i know a lot of the Purists Hate them because of the tail lights)! But, you're definitely right about the car you're getting for the price & the HP you can't beat it! the Viper's i thought were way Over Priced (i actually didn't like the 03' to 2010 Vipers just because i thought they looked too much like the vettes), but with them you Don't see one on every other corner or see some Elderly Lady behind the wheel!
Old 04-24-15, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
with them you Don't see one on every other corner or see some Elderly Lady behind the wheel!
It's true that you don't often see Grandma behind the wheel of a 'Vette.....but you would be surprised at how much they appeal to older guys. The original Corvettes, of course, came of age in the late 1950s, after they got their first V8s and 4-on-the-floor shifts (the first Corvettes of '53-54 had a lowly 150 HP Stovebolt in-line 6 / two-speed automatic transmission, and then were overshadowed by the '55-57 two-seat Ford Thunderbird). Many of the guys that first fell in love with the Corvettes of the 50s and 60s are now at or past retirement age.....and, yes, still in Corvettes.
Old 04-24-15, 10:31 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's true that you don't often see Grandma behind the wheel of a 'Vette.....but you would be surprised at how much they appeal to older guys. The original Corvettes, of course, came of age in the late 1950s, after they got their first V8s and 4-on-the-floor shifts (the first Corvettes of '53-54 had a lowly 150 HP Stovebolt in-line 6 / two-speed automatic transmission, and then were overshadowed by the '55-57 two-seat Ford Thunderbird). Many of the guys that first fell in love with the Corvettes of the 50s and 60s are now at or past retirement age.....and, yes, still in Corvettes.
No, i said you DO see Grandmas behind the wheel of Vettes just not as many in the New ones though! This is my Brother's Corvette & he also has the OLD Thunderbird (like from American Graffiti except his is Black) but No he doesn't like or own the New Vette!

Last edited by johnnyreb; 04-25-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 10:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is one GM product that lives up to its promised expectations. The numbers are outstanding
Old 04-24-15, 11:34 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someday, it will be mines.
Old 04-25-15, 02:26 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just priced a Z06, it's whooping 105k!
Old 04-25-15, 02:47 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree, it's everything right about GM. The only black mark are the crying mascara taillights (pun intended).

If anything has diminished the steam here, it's the sneak peak pics popping up for the next gen mid-engined model. It looks like a futuristic missile compared to this.
Old 04-25-15, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Just priced a Z06, it's whooping 105k!

Was that with a dealer ADM (Additional Market Value) markup? Dealer price-gouging is almost a given on cars in this class. List for Z06's start at 79-83K, depending on body style.