Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Mini-Review: 2015 Kia Sedona Limited

Old 04-24-15, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This cannot be the case. Federal regulators don't just overlook an important safety issue because "most drivers prefer" it another way. I think this is just one of those "don't believe everything you read on the internet" issues.
The only thing that would be sort of true about safety is to have the exhaust exit the opposite side of the fuel door. I am not sure if this is a safety regulation.
Old 04-24-15, 01:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The only thing that would be sort of true about safety is to have the exhaust exit the opposite side of the fuel door. I am not sure if this is a safety regulation.
What about cars with dual exhaust?
Old 04-24-15, 01:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The idea that the filler door is on the opposite side as the driver because of t-bone crashes is complete hogwash nonsense and balony. Modern vehicles have shut off valves in the fuel system that will prevent massive spillage in the event of a crash. Loss of fuel pressure will engage a safety valve. There will be no fuel spewage all over the intersection.
Yes----this^^^
Old 04-24-15, 02:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too like to deep rear cargo, I remember I can just drop my son's travel stroller in my sienna without folding it.

But the car doesn't come with spare tire? fix-a-flat bottle? This is making me think twice on getting the van :/
Old 04-24-15, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I too like to deep rear cargo, I remember I can just drop my son's travel stroller in my sienna without folding it.
The cargo floor-well in back, with the 3rd-row seats up, is very low, so it requires some stooping to put things in or out of it. Fold the 3rd-row seats, though (which is a somewhat awkward and not very smooth operation), and you have a nice flat floor about the same level as further up when the 2nd-row seats fold down.

But the car doesn't come with spare tire? fix-a-flat bottle? This is making me think twice on getting the van :/
Check your specific van just to make sure. I couldn't find one on the one I looked at...and the Kia web site doesn't list one for the Sedona (the posted references to a temporary spare tire earlier were from other sites). But SW13GS, who just bought a new Sedona Limited, said that one came on his, so, as far as I'm concerned, I take him at this word....his van has one.
Old 04-24-15, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There will be no fuel spewage all over the intersection.
I didn't say there would be....only that cars are usually more likely to get sideswiped on the driver's side.

As for the Verano (Which is Chevy Cruze) based, it is a global vehicle and the Cruze has it on the passenger side as well. So does the Opel which is Chevy Cruze based.
The reason the Verano has on the right is because it comes from a German design, and most, though not all, German designs have it on the right.
Old 04-24-15, 04:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That I cannot tell you why.
Old 04-24-15, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Technically, true dual exhausts (as opposed to a simple split-pipe), once they were both past the dual catalytic converters, could be mounted vertically underneath the car, one on top of the other, towards one side. But to do so might take a couple of inches away from the car's ground clearance without a corresponding suspension-raise or larger wheels.
Old 04-25-15, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

This cannot be the case. Federal regulators don't just overlook an important safety issue because "most drivers prefer" it another way. I think this is just one of those "don't believe everything you read on the internet" issues.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The cargo floor-well in back, with the 3rd-row seats up, is very low, so it requires some stooping to put things in or out of it. Fold the 3rd-row seats, though (which is a somewhat awkward and not very smooth operation), and you have a nice flat floor about the same level as further up when the 2nd-row seats fold down.
Thats what makes a minivan a minivan. Yes, its low. But that low cargo bin is what allows you to carry the same volume of stuff as you can in a two row crossover or SUV with all 3 rows installed. 3 row crossovers don't have that, and it DECIMATES cargo capacity with the 3 rows installed. As in, 38 cu/ft for a minivan, and 15 for a 3 row crossover. Its a huge difference.

That low bin is why we have a minivan and not a 3 row crossover.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
He's wrong. The van definitely comes with a spare tire, and ALL Sedonas do, no Sedonas come with a compressor or a can of fix a flat. The manual makes no reference to any option for a flat tire other than the space saver spare that mine has, and there is no storage place for a compressor/can of fix a flat. I drove and looked at several of them at different dealers and in different trims. ALL had spare tires. Its just not where it traditionally would be, its not under the rear cargo area, its under the vehicle, on the passenger side under the second row seat, it winches down from the underbody.
Old 04-25-15, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS

The van definitely comes with a spare tire, and ALL Sedonas do, no Sedonas come with a compressor or a can of fix a flat. The manual makes no reference to any option for a flat tire other than the space saver spare that mine has, and there is no storage place for a compressor/can of fix a flat. I drove and looked at several of them at different dealers and in different trims. ALL had spare tires. Its just not where it traditionally would be, its not under the rear cargo area, its under the vehicle, on the passenger side under the second row seat, it winches down from the underbody.
I'm going to contact the Kia website, then, and let them know that they need to update the Sedona website specs to indicate the standard temporary spare tire. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally wrong info (or inadequate info) is posted on a manufacturer website

Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-15 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 17 City, 22 Highway, 19 Combined
(For some reason, though, all with the same drivetrain, different versions of the Sedona have different EPA ratings)
Forgot to comment on this. It is kind of odd, but there is a reason. The SX and the SX-L have electric power steering, all other Sedona trims have a hydraulic setup. Thats why you see that the SX has better economy than the other trims. Economy suffers in the SX-L (the Limited) because of the additional weight of all the stuff you get with the Limited, the second row captains chairs, better leathers, more sound deadening, all the tech stuff, etc.
Old 04-25-15, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Forgot to comment on this. It is kind of odd, but there is a reason. The SX and the SX-L have electric power steering, all other Sedona trims have a hydraulic setup. Thats why you see that the SX has better economy than the other trims. Economy suffers in the SX-L (the Limited) because of the additional weight of all the stuff you get with the Limited, the second row captains chairs, better leathers, more sound deadening, all the tech stuff, etc.
It's unusual to have two different types of power steering on the same vehicle, but we saw it on the older BMW Active Steering models as a option, and also on the current Infiniti Q50 with its (partial) steer-by-wire option.
Old 04-25-15, 10:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's unusual to have two different types of power steering on the same vehicle, but we saw it on the older BMW Active Steering models as a option, and also on the current Infiniti Q50 with its (partial) steer-by-wire option.
Not as unusual as you think MMarshall, there are a number of models that offer differing types of power steering systems depending on trim/option/etc. The Sonata, for one, has Rack Mounted Electric Power Steering on the Sport trims vs Column Mounted on the other trims.

Given the scrutiny over Hyundai and Kia's MPG claims, they no doubt want to get specific values, especially if they differ by the different trims.
Old 04-25-15, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Given the scrutiny over Hyundai and Kia's MPG claims, they no doubt want to get specific values, especially if they differ by the different trims.

Yes, the recent criticism of both Hyundai and Ford MPG ratings has probably gotten the company lawyers even more deeply involved n the precise ratings.

Next, we'll probably see a million different categories for the ratings....things like empty vehicle, vehicle with 50% load, vehicle with 100% load, outside temperature at 32 degrees, outside temperature at 90 degrees, acceleration with quarter-throttle/half-throttle/full-throttle, rough road surface, smooth road surface, wet road, etc......

(I'm being facetious, of course, and exaggerating some, but you get the point).

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-15 at 11:09 AM.